Playing matches as a beginner

pieface

Medal Winner
Visit site
Afternoon all,

I've recently got back into playing regularly after a break of around 6-7 months and am thinking of joining another club in my local area. Currently I struggle with finding playing partners who are available for games in the week as I work shifts so was hoping to take advantage of the competitions that are available at the club. They run 2 competitions in the week and a competition on both Saturdays and Sundays.
I'm a bit apprehensive however due to my standard of play, I have only had one round where I have shot under 100 but have had numerous decent front 9's in the 40's (decent by my standards). Am I likely to get laughed off the course by other members? Is it normal for players who shoot around 110 on a round to play in comps?

Cheers

GG26

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
There were a few scores over 110 in our medal last weekend. The vast majority of players will be encouraging as long as you keep up with the pace of play.

D

Deleted member 21258

Yeah don't worry, explain your situation and sure they will be fine with it and help you out and make you feel at ease.

Crack on and enjoy. Best of luck.

pieface

Medal Winner
Visit site
Thanks for the replies.

I definitely wouldn't consider myself a slow player other than when my ball ends up in the treeline! I'll make some more enquiries with the club and see how I get on.

Cheers

BubbaP

Occasional Player of Golf
Visit site
Are you able to check what type of competitions they are?
Starting with Stableford may be better as you'll be encouraged to pick up on any car crash holes. Focus on the good stuff

robinthehood

Hacker
Visit site
Yeah juts get out there and hit it, none of my regular golfers play comps so I always put my name down with randoms. Never been an issue and usually good company.

Robin Hood

Visit site
Go and join in. No one will laugh at you for two reasons:
You are new and playing to a good enough standard already plus the vast majority of golfers are decent people.
Enjoy yourself - it's only a game 😀

pieface

Medal Winner
Visit site
Go and join in. No one will laugh at you for two reasons:
You are new and playing to a good enough standard already plus the vast majority of golfers are decent people.
Enjoy yourself - it's only a game 😀

Looks like you are from my neck of the woods!

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
110 isn't too bad, that won't be a problem for anyone. At our club someone shot 123 last week, and I believe he is the club president. Another guy shot 109 playing off 22. So yeah don't worry about it basically.

Robin Hood

Visit site
Mansfield area, looking at joining Oakmere. Played it a few times recently and been very impressed.
Great club.
I have played both courses several times, as a pay and play and in club matches.
The members are really good, very welcoming, and the facilities are excellent.
Good choice 👍
If I lived your way it would be Oakmere or Rufford Park.

pieface

Medal Winner
Visit site
Great club.
I have played both courses several times, as a pay and play and in club matches.
The members are really good, very welcoming, and the facilities are excellent.
Good choice 👍
If I lived your way it would be Oakmere or Rufford Park.

I haven’t played Rufford but it is on my to do list.
I was a member at Ramsdale last year but have to say I think Oakmere is much much better.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Try to play in Stableford competitions and remember to just pick up your ball and not finish a hole when you have played as many shots that mean you cannot score any points on the hole.

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
Afternoon all,

I've recently got back into playing regularly after a break of around 6-7 months and am thinking of joining another club in my local area. Currently I struggle with finding playing partners who are available for games in the week as I work shifts so was hoping to take advantage of the competitions that are available at the club. They run 2 competitions in the week and a competition on both Saturdays and Sundays.
I'm a bit apprehensive however due to my standard of play, I have only had one round where I have shot under 100 but have had numerous decent front 9's in the 40's (decent by my standards). Am I likely to get laughed off the course by other members? Is it normal for players who shoot around 110 on a round to play in comps?

Cheers

I would definitely just go for it and get into a club.

Best thing you can do is make sure you are not slowing things down too much and grinding over a triple bogey putt like Bernhard Langer would.

Tip if you want to play a bit quicker is don't bother with the full 14 clubs. Just a carry bag (no trolley) with maybe 10 or 11 clubs, fewer decisions to make and quicker to get round the course. Also if you hit it into a thick spot, play a provisional and potentially don't even bother looking for the 1st ball - especially if you've already run up a number.

It's tough at the start - and there's no point in just saying 'regular play will improve you' - although it probably will. But you're going to have a much better chance of improving in a club environment, playing the same course every week and being able to play practice rounds.

Also once you start playing a few medals you might be able to get a regular 'friendly' game with people at the club that will mean you can play a bit more relaxed golf off the yellows and give you a better chance of making a decent score, or at least playing better.

pieface

Medal Winner
Visit site
Cheers again gents!
When I played last year I felt I improved continuously for 4-5 months then one day it felt like I just forgot everything I had learned and lost the heart to play! Maybe playing more regularly could help.
Cheers

inc0gnito

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Cheers again gents!
When I played last year I felt I improved continuously for 4-5 months then one day it felt like I just forgot everything I had learned and lost the heart to play! Maybe playing more regularly could help.
Cheers

I know that feel. It’s a pity golf courses don’t have those buffer things you get in bowling alleys 😂 Could do with those some days!