Playing in the rain

shun_naka

Club Champion
Visit site
Playing tomorrow AM and as fate would have it, my waterproofs haven’t arrived in time and it’s going to be pouring down

I’ll be playing with an old ‘waterproof’ kagool and i Be bringing an umbrella. Planning on bringing an extra towel with a couple of pairs of extra gloves inside a sealed bag

Any other advice?

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Have you got a trolley with umbrella holder as well as the umbrella? Saves faffing about with it as you can just leave it set up and duck under it when not hitting. Although if you don't, there isn't much you can do by tomorrow I guess. Wet weather gloves are pretty handy as well if you can get some. Hopefully your golf shoes are waterproof or it's not going to be a fun one.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Bring a change of clothes for when you have finished. I'm not being flippant, accept you will be wet but know you will be dry afterwards.

Play in shorts. Skin is waterproof so don't worry about getting wet legs.

For future, buy a pair of rain gloves, a few companies offer them. It ends the worry about gripping your clubs in the rain.

Enjoy, it's still better than being at work ?

Last edited:
D

Deleted Member 1156

Tuck a towel into the spokes of your umbrella to use on your grips.

Backsticks

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Skip it if you can. I never play in the rain if at all avoidable. Its just not appropriate for golf. Yes, you have to carry on if you have arranged a game, and if its a short light shower you put up with it and then start to enjoy the game again. But its just not a game worth playing in the rain. We play for the fun of it, and thats not fun.

2blue

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Rain gloves - game changers
^^^^^ This is the answer... no need to worry about drying grips or carrying extra gloves.
Rain gloves are better when wet.... as he says..... game changers!!
How did you do by the way?
What was the best advice?

NearHull

Visit site
I’ve never used rain gloves, do you keep them on whilst chipping and putting. Are they difficult to take off/put on When wet?

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I’ve never used rain gloves, do you keep them on whilst chipping and putting. Are they difficult to take off/put on When wet?
Personally I just keep them on throughout, I should add i keep my glove on all of the time anyway. Taking off something wet and then putting it back on is just uncomfortable to me but that might just be my issue ?.

pendodave

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Skip it if you can. I never play in the rain if at all avoidable. Its just not appropriate for golf. Yes, you have to carry on if you have arranged a game, and if its a short light shower you put up with it and then start to enjoy the game again. But its just not a game worth playing in the rain. We play for the fun of it, and thats not fun.
Exactly this. Mind you, I live in the SE of England so can afford to be picky. Maybe if one is further north and west the choice is more limited.

Robster59

Tour Rookie
www.eastrengolfclub.co.uk

Exactly this. Mind you, I live in the SE of England so can afford to be picky. Maybe if one is further north and west the choice is more limited.

Ah, yer wimps! ;)
Living in Scotland, if you didn't play in the rain, you'd hardly play at all. It's as Billy Connolly says "There's no such thing as bad weather - only the wrong clothes."

(Warning! Colourful language!)

Full waterproofs, Galvin Green "Captain Birdseye" hat, wet grip gloves, waterproof socks and good shoes. I love playing match play against people who don't like playing in the rain as I reckon it's worth at least a couple of holes.

davidy233

Tour Rookie
www.davidyoungphoto.co.uk
I love playing match play against people who don't like playing in the rain as I reckon it's worth at least a couple of holes.

This - very much this, I don't particularly like playing in the rain but it won't stop me competing and I love that moment in a match which has been close when the club slips in your opponents hand as he hits a shot - and you can visibly see him giving up.

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
I don't enjoy playing in the rain, and would happily avoid a casual game in bad weather - but I don't mind competition golf in the rain. Much like @Robster59 - it's an opportunity to grind out a decent round or match, when others will have given up on the round due to conditions.