Playing for cash

Bamberdele2.0

Visit site
Maybe not at your club, but I referred to this thread in which it seems you are. I've got nothing against those who wish to play for money in a match sense, I just dont need to do it to make the round more enjoyable.

I have won £150 in club comps prize money so far this year though.

how many enter on a good / bad day?

Springveldt

Visit site
I don't want to open another can of worms, as it's been discussed in the past, but if I ever get a hole-in-one I won't be buying everybody in the club a drink just because 'tradition' says so, ha. I'd be skint for the rest of the month. I'd get the first round in for my playing partners and any friends I saw and that'd be all. Wouldn't expect any different from anyone else either.

If you've set up your £50 for a hole in one thing to help out your mates because they do intend to buy the whole club a drink then that's very decent of you. (y) I'd just be going down the route of, if you can't afford to buy everyone drinks then don't feel pressured to do so.
2 of the lads I play with now and again have had a HO1 recently and both put a bottle of whisky on the bar for anyone that wanted one. Nothing fancy, just a bottle of Famous Grouse that the club got from out the back and then allowed them to replace it with a bottle from ASDA or wherever was cheaper.

I grew up as a bookie runner for my dad and uncle (they would send me down to the bookies with the line and cash and I'd have to ask someone to put it on for me) so I saw early how much a waste of money gambling was. :ROFLMAO: The 30 seconds of endorphin rush shouting for your horse only for it to lose again just wasn't for me. I rarely bet as a adult, the odd bet here or there mainly on the golf majors, grand national or the lottery. Don't even bet on the football now which seems to be more popular than ever with the "Acca lads" adverts nearly every bookie has now making it look fun. Again, not for me.

Most of my golf rounds are in the club comps so no need to bet but if we are having a friendly knock then it's normally a game of doubles for a pint.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
2 of the lads I play with now and again have had a HO1 recently and both put a bottle of whisky on the bar for anyone that wanted one. Nothing fancy, just a bottle of Famous Grouse that the club got from out the back and then allowed them to replace it with a bottle from ASDA or wherever was cheaper.

I grew up as a bookie runner for my dad and uncle (they would send me down to the bookies with the line and cash and I'd have to ask someone to put it on for me) so I saw early how much a waste of money gambling was. :ROFLMAO: The 30 seconds of endorphin rush shouting for your horse only for it to lose again just wasn't for me. I rarely bet as a adult, the odd bet here or there mainly on the golf majors, grand national or the lottery. Don't even bet on the football now which seems to be more popular than ever with the "Acca lads" adverts nearly every bookie has now making it look fun. Again, not for me.

Most of my golf rounds are in the club comps so no need to bet but if we are having a friendly knock then it's normally a game of doubles for a pint.
I don't really understand that as a custom either - when the majority drive to the golf club, how many are really going to partake in a straight whiskey? Or if they do how many shouldn't do?

I'm the same as you. Have dabbled in football accas and lost 95% of the time so gave up. On the golf majors I pick 6 players or so and do 1 or 2 quid each way on them so I have more people to look out for on the coverage.

Mandofred

Visit site
Won prizes before, like an umbrella. Most money.....maybe £20 (which in my opinion is too much).

I currently play with a group of up to 8 that plays 3 times a week for £1-£1-£1. That's as much as I'm willing to win or lose from someone else. My last club played for £5 on a Sunday morning....that was a bit steep for me.

Playing for money does nothing for me. I don't play harder because there are a couple of Pounds on the line. For some people...... they get a buzz out of it I guess.

Although what really gets up my nose, is those people who play regularly with a rollup group (not my current group)......and they KNOW they need change and yet they still pull out the £10 note. I stop in at the bank a few times a year and just pull out £50 of Pound coins.....or any other change I might need. Various groups in the past have played for small amounts like .20P for a 2, or .50P for each 9 holes and a Pound at the end. If a group was playing for more than £5 I wouldn't even think about playing....and likely wouldn't play for £5 either. I never was comfortable with that £5 at one of my old clubs.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
If you are talking about playing for money outside of formal competitions personally (many years ago) £5 front 9 £5 back 9 £5 on the 18 and £1 bits.

I know of one group who play for £10, £10 and £10

In comps several first prizes around the £100 mark.

I never get players who have to play for something every time they play.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Won prizes before, like an umbrella. Most money.....maybe £20 (which in my opinion is too much).

I currently play with a group of up to 8 that plays 3 times a week for £1-£1-£1. That's as much as I'm willing to win or lose from someone else. My last club played for £5 on a Sunday morning....that was a bit steep for me.

Playing for money does nothing for me. I don't play harder because there are a couple of Pounds on the line. For some people...... they get a buzz out of it I guess.

Although what really gets up my nose, is those people who play regularly with a rollup group (not my current group)......and they KNOW they need change and yet they still pull out the £10 note. I stop in at the bank a few times a year and just pull out £50 of Pound coins.....or any other change I might need. Various groups in the past have played for small amounts like .20P for a 2, or .50P for each 9 holes and a Pound at the end. If a group was playing for more than £5 I wouldn't even think about playing....and likely wouldn't play for £5 either. I never was comfortable with that £5 at one of my old clubs.
Nobody carries cash anymore let alone change and bits of shrapnel. I don't think it's reasonable to expect people to go via the bank to their golf club every Saturday morning to pick up some more pound coins. :LOL:

Bamberdele2.0

Visit site
If you are talking about playing for money outside of formal competitions personally (many years ago) £5 front 9 £5 back 9 £5 on the 18 and £1 bits.

I know of one group who play for £10, £10 and £10

In comps several first prizes around the £100 mark.

I never get players who have to play for something every time they play.

I like the sound of this group.

Playing for 20p’s and paying out shrapnel tho. Who does this ?

Last edited:

Mandofred

Visit site
Nobody carries cash anymore let alone change and bits of shrapnel. I don't think it's reasonable to expect people to go via the bank to their golf club every Saturday morning to pick up some more pound coins. :LOL:
And I wouldn't either....but when you play with other people who DO play for £1 coins....only seems courteous to have change, no? These same people were likely to have gone through town to eat, get food, etc....and couldn't be bothered to stop at the bank.

There is going to come a time when nobody will have "hold it in your hand" money on them. For those people who like to play for money.....will it be the same if you have to transfer money from your account to theirs? :)

I've offered to play for something other than money.....like pushups. Thought they were going to have a heart attack when I said that.....

chico

Club Champion
Visit site
Not playing for money but was over in Ireland in March and my mate told me about a group of Americans over doing all the big courses.
What they would do was everyone put their credit card in a bowl at the start if the day. One would be picked out and he payed for everything that day. This would include the golf, food, drink and any souvenirs from the club shop.
The guy he was talking to had his card picked out three days running.

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
Used to play for a £1 and bits in our Sunday 4 ball friendly. Winners put a £1 in. Losers paid a £1 in + all the bits. It paid for a couple of rounds and an overnighter at the end of the summer, which reset the clock for the same the following year.

Once got an invite to a 4 ball when my regular one had people missing. Good thing I was on the winning side. I thought it was £1 and bits, but was handed £20 (wrapped ball) after the game. I didn’t have £20 on me if it had been the other way round.

Smiffy

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
Most of the guys I play with carry a few bob in their pockets, but the art is to play for fivers. That way, you don't need shrapnel

Smiffy

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
Not playing for money but was over in Ireland in March and my mate told me about a group of Americans over doing all the big courses.
What they would do was everyone put their credit card in a bowl at the start if the day. One would be picked out and he payed for everything that day. This would include the golf, food, drink and any souvenirs from the club shop.
The guy he was talking to had his card picked out three days running.
No wonder there are so many mass shootings out there
???

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
And I wouldn't either....but when you play with other people who DO play for £1 coins....only seems courteous to have change, no? These same people were likely to have gone through town to eat, get food, etc....and couldn't be bothered to stop at the bank.

There is going to come a time when nobody will have "hold it in your hand" money on them. For those people who like to play for money.....will it be the same if you have to transfer money from your account to theirs? :)

I've offered to play for something other than money.....like pushups. Thought they were going to have a heart attack when I said that.....
My club is five minutes away, I've got no idea where my nearest bank is though. Can't recall needing one for a long, long time. I get what you're saying, I'm just making the point that as we forward I'd hazard a guess that roll-ups either start charging a fiver (so at least you could easily withdrawn it from a cashpoint, or withdraw 10 and pay in twos or something), or they die off because nobody ever has change!

Neilds

Assistant Pro
Visit site

Agree, it is not difficult to get to a bank to get £20 in coins -especially if you know you are playing for change.
The argument that no one carries cash anymore is rubbish as you just put the bag of coins in your golf bag and should last a fair few weeks (even without any wins) so you don’t need to go to the bank every week