Playing for cash

AAC

Visit site
I took £7.50 off our 4bbb partners on Sunday, thats about as much as I am interested in playing for. I did win $100 ++ in a 4bbb game in Florida once, I played with 3 Americans who were playing push's. Nassau's, birdies and whatever else, I had absolutely no idea what was going on !!

Bamberdele2.0

Visit site
I can think of about 10000 things id rather do that bet on my own golf.

I dont even know where my drive is going to go, why the hell would I bet on me :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Betting on yourself has surely got to be the ultimate gamble. It’s all in your hands. The pressure is absolutely brilliant.

Not counted competition winnings (which hasn't been much!) the most we play for would be £5 a round. Usually it is £££ for front, back and overall between the group which can be up to about 20 so nothing too big. If you make it too much money then 'cheating' and grudges will creep in.

I could understand this to an extent but if you know the people well you are playing with and they have official handicaps then surely there should be no room for concern.

I’d never play and bet with someone that I thought were going to cheat in any way.

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site
Betting on yourself has surely got to be the ultimate gamble. It’s all in your hands. The pressure is absolutely brilliant.

I could understand this to an extent but if you know the people well you are playing with and they have official handicaps then surely there should be no room for concern.

I’d never play and bet with someone that I thought were going to cheat in any way.

The pressure to break 80 and shoot my best score is more than enough.

Im not a betting man though, does not bother me in the slightest - football, golf, whatever.

Beezerk

Money List Winner
Visit site
I think your definition of not too much differs to mine.

Not everyone enjoys betting. I get enough out of playing without the need to put money on the line.

Got to be honest, I don’t really see it as betting. Our society usually has a £3 a man thing, winner, runner up etc share the pot just like you would when you enter a regular comp at your club (I assume you pay to enter those as well?).

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Got to be honest, I don’t really see it as betting. Our society usually has a £3 a man thing, winner, runner up etc share the pot just like you would when you enter a regular comp at your club (I assume you pay to enter those as well?).
Mmmm, When does entering a comp tip over into gambling? It's an interesting point. I suppose it depends on what you are comfortable with losing / paying out.

Paying out per hole is more, imo, than just entering a comp though. In the example where I replied, paying £5 per tough birdie, £10 per eagle, £50 per hole in one, is over and above.

Bamberdele2.0

Visit site
I, for one, am not stumping up 50 notes to anyone who's got an Ace...they're buying me a drink or 2(y)

I’ve just made the shot of my life and my reward for it is to buy you a couple of drinks?

I don’t know how long this tradition has been in place but i’m sorry it’s absolutely backwards. Whoever came up with it needs shooting

Neilds

Assistant Pro
Visit site

Nothing to do with having an official handicap or not. If there is a group playing (you don't say how many) and it is £10 a head for a birdie, then the pot could be quite substantial and the temptation to 'improve' a lie or 'nudge' your marker forward a little could be there for some players. Then all it takes is for another player to mention something he may or may not have seen adn the group dynamic is shot to pieces. Not worth it in my opinion and would much rather make sure it stays nice and friendly.

Neilds

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Agree, betting is something along the lines of "£5 says I can clear the ditch/drive the green/get over this tree etc" The £3 is an entry fee same as entering the monthly medal

Beezerk

Money List Winner
Visit site
Mmmm, When does entering a comp tip over into gambling? It's an interesting point. I suppose it depends on what you are comfortable with losing / paying out.

Paying out per hole is more, imo, than just entering a comp though. In the example where I replied, paying £5 per tough birdie, £10 per eagle, £50 per hole in one, is over and above.

Yeah sorry my point was a bit more general, I would never do a bet per hole thing as I’m not really a gambler, specially on my own very dodgy ability ?

Bamberdele2.0

Visit site
Nothing to do with having an official handicap or not. If there is a group playing (you don't say how many) and it is £10 a head for a birdie, then the pot could be quite substantial and the temptation to 'improve' a lie or 'nudge' your marker forward a little could be there for some players. Then all it takes is for another player to mention something he may or may not have seen adn the group dynamic is shot to pieces. Not worth it in my opinion and would much rather make sure it stays nice and friendly.

this furthers my point when I say I only part money with people that I know and trust so I wouldn’t have to worry about any of those issues.

Game is built around integrity and honesty and although I know there are people of the kind out there it is in my best interest to stay clear even more so when there is money involved.

SteveW86

Head Pro
Visit site
As part of our Sunday rounds there is usually a bit of a side bet. £1 on the match and then 20p per "bit"

A "bit" is a birdie or better on a hole, and on a par 3 closest to the pin wins the bit if they 2 putt or better, if they dont then the other team gets the bit.

Usually no more than a couple of quid changes hands.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I don’t get why people aren’t inclined for a little side bet, nothing too much just to make it a bit more fun. Always adds to the banter at the end of the round.

No one has mentioned anything about birdies? Eagles? Or holes in 1?

We play £1 birdies on most holes but £5 on the hardest ones. £10 eagle. And if you get a hole in 1 each player has to stump up £50.

Great incentive because there is something on the line for every hole and between us there’s only been 2 eagles and a couple of birdies every round.
That's daft. If one of my mates gets a hole in one I want to be ecstatic for him, not pissed off that I'm now down 50 quid. :LOL:

Each to their own, but as I said before, adding money into the equation doesn't make it 'more fun' for me at all. Golf is my time to forget everything else in the world and just enjoy it - arguably money is one of the things I like to forget about. :)

Bamberdele2.0

Visit site
As part of our Sunday rounds there is usually a bit of a side bet. £1 on the match and then 20p per "bit"

A "bit" is a birdie or better on a hole, and on a par 3 closest to the pin wins the bit if they 2 putt or better, if they dont then the other team gets the bit.

Usually no more than a couple of quid changes hands.

Might aswell just bet with Monopoly money or those free coupons you get through the post
That's daft. If one of my mates gets a hole in one I want to be ecstatic for him, not pissed off that I'm now down 50 quid. :LOL:

Each to their own, but as I said before, adding money into the equation doesn't make it 'more fun' for me at all. Golf is my time to forget everything else in the world and just enjoy it - arguably money is one of the things I like to forget about. :)

And what better way to be ecstatic by rewarding him.

Do you think he will be ecstatic having to buy everyone at the club a pint?

I’d be absolutely gutted. My misses would be mortified

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site

I don't want to open another can of worms, as it's been discussed in the past, but if I ever get a hole-in-one I won't be buying everybody in the club a drink just because 'tradition' says so, ha. I'd be skint for the rest of the month. I'd get the first round in for my playing partners and any friends I saw and that'd be all. Wouldn't expect any different from anyone else either.

If you've set up your £50 for a hole in one thing to help out your mates because they do intend to buy the whole club a drink then that's very decent of you. (y) I'd just be going down the route of, if you can't afford to buy everyone drinks then don't feel pressured to do so.

SteveW86

Head Pro
Visit site
Might aswell just bet with Monopoly money or those free coupons you get through the post

I think this thread is showing that you are the anomoly who seems happy to play for so much money. I like most on here play golf for the fun of it, not to add any excitement or to win a few quid. If you need the thrill of a bet to make golf more enjoyable then maybe you have a problem with gambling?

Bamberdele2.0

Visit site
I think this thread is showing that you are the anomoly who seems happy to play for so much money. I like most on here play golf for the fun of it, not to add any excitement or to win a few quid. If you need the thrill of a bet to make golf more enjoyable then maybe you have a problem with gambling?

After a few months at my club getting to know the majority I can categorically confirm I am nowhere near the anomaly. I would class the gambling I partake in as healthy as I and others enjoy it as it puts us in a position where we won’t be selling our houses any time soon.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
I can't recall ever winning cash as a prize. Closest would be taking the 'pot' in a betterball roll up and (as per the roll-up rules) immediately using the pot to pay for all post round drinks

Re side-bets I enjoy a wager with my regular mates (a tenner max split between front/back/game etc)
Not a fan of betting with people I play with infrequently or players I don't know (I like to think if its not me winning then at least the winnings are going to someone I know & like) and it'll be spent on drinks anyway

SteveW86

Head Pro
Visit site
After a few months at my club getting to know the majority I can categorically confirm I am nowhere near the anomaly. I would class the gambling I partake in as healthy as I and others enjoy it as it puts us in a position where we won’t be selling our houses any time soon.

Maybe not at your club, but I referred to this thread in which it seems you are. I've got nothing against those who wish to play for money in a match sense, I just dont need to do it to make the round more enjoyable.

I have won £150 in club comps prize money so far this year though.

Bamberdele2.0

Visit site
I can't recall ever winning cash as a prize. Closest would be taking the 'pot' in a betterball roll up and (as per the roll-up rules) immediately using the pot to pay for all post round drinks

Re side-bets I enjoy a wager with my regular mates (a tenner max split between front/back/game etc)
Not a fan of betting with people I play with infrequently or players I don't know (I like to think if its not me winning then at least the winnings are going to someone I know & like) and it'll be spent on drinks anyway

Nail on head. Can’t imagine handing over money to anyone else.

I am absolutely buzzed for a PP to have a good curry on me if he’s played well. And I’m sure that curry will always taste better than one he would of had to fork out for.