Playing for cash

srixon 1

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
We play £1 front, £1 back and £1 overall. Overall gets 50% of the total pot, front and back 25% each. If I ever win then the coins just go into a pot that stays in my car ready for the next time. Notes go onto my club bar card.

Bamberdele2.0

Visit site
Beginning to sound like you like the gambling aspect more than the golf itself.

To be fair, I didn’t really dabble with money in golf until I joined a club which opened my eyes. Now, if I was to have a round with a certain clique at my club with no money involved it would be dull in comparison and the banter wouldn’t be as good.

Winning a couple of quid off certain members would absolutely make my day even more so than getting a good finish in a stableford / medal. I have no problem paying out either.

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
All comp prizes, including 2s sweep, are paid in pro-shop credit.

Usual stakes for a social game betterball matchplay is 50p each nine and £1 for the game with 20p gross birdies.

£2.40 is a seriously good win (and vice versa :cry:)

Can't see any point in higher stakes.

Sometimes, if all agree at start, we play the same game, but zero stakes. Quite happy with that too.

sev112

Tour Winner
Visit site
I don’t get why people aren’t inclined for a little side bet, nothing too much just to make it a bit more fun. Always adds to the banter at the end of the round.

No one has mentioned anything about birdies? Eagles? Or holes in 1?

We play £1 birdies on most holes but £5 on the hardest ones. £10 eagle. And if you get a hole in 1 each player has to stump up £50.

Great incentive because there is something on the line for every hole and between us there’s only been 2 eagles and a couple of birdies every round.

if in a comp and someone asks to have a bet in the side then my answer is a definite no. It gives me the advantage straight away and they are pixxxed off to start with, and then I find that they don’t have anything to play for then they don’t play as well. No way am I giving them an advantage by letting them play for money which suits their game when I couldn’t care less.

fenwayrich

Assistant Pro
Visit site
My regular Saturday roll up is £5 entry, if there are 20 players we pay four places plus best front and back 9 get their money back. Each fourball usually play for the drinks, plus some others play £1 bits. I play with other friends who aren't interested in what they see as 'betting', so we just play for bragging rights. I don't mind either way.

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
Our fuddle is £5 a round, front nine, back nine and overall is £1 each, 50 p for nearest the pins. 16 lads played today. We played team event and Team Tash Cleaned up. £12 each. It’s not the £12 but the bragging rights.
one thing I have noticed is a foruM member does not like a lot of the traditional rules, which begs the question why play.

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site
Agree, it is not difficult to get to a bank to get £20 in coins -especially if you know you are playing for change.
The argument that no one carries cash anymore is rubbish as you just put the bag of coins in your golf bag and should last a fair few weeks (even without any wins) so you don’t need to go to the bank every week

Who goes to a bank to get £20 out? Just get cash back in a shop.

If people want to play for cash that’s on them. It’s not discourteous not to partake. I would consider it rather off to be expected to join in.

Bamberdele2.0

Visit site
if in a comp and someone asks to have a bet in the side then my answer is a definite no. It gives me the advantage straight away and they are pixxxed off to start with, and then I find that they don’t have anything to play for then they don’t play as well. No way am I giving them an advantage by letting them play for money which suits their game when I couldn’t care less.

Interesting take. During comp if someone suggests playing for money I am all for it. If I don’t really know them I wouldn’t initiate anything and just get on with it and focus on the comp in hand.

Our fuddle is £5 a round, front nine, back nine and overall is £1 each, 50 p for nearest the pins. 16 lads played today. We played team event and Team Tash Cleaned up. £12 each. It’s not the £12 but the bragging rights.
one thing I have noticed is a foruM member does not like a lot of the traditional rules, which begs the question why play.

Traditional rules as in buying everyone a drink at the club? Tbh, I think it’s a load of bolloks and for someone new to this sport I think I am entitled to share this opinion tradition or not.

How does having the best shot of your life reward you with buying everyone at your place a drink? It’s something that will probably never sit right with me.

Just imagine buying someone you’re not too keen on a drink. You never do it any other time but for some reason because of tradition you have to, after making the bes shot of your life. The tradition should be the other way round, imo.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Interesting take. During comp if someone suggests playing for money I am all for it. If I don’t really know them I wouldn’t initiate anything and just get on with it and focus on the comp in hand.

Traditional rules as in buying everyone a drink at the club? Tbh, I think it’s a load of bolloks and for someone new to this sport I think I am entitled to share this opinion tradition or not.

How does having the best shot of your life reward you with buying everyone at your place a drink? It’s something that will probably never sit right with me.

Just imagine buying someone you’re not too keen on a drink. You never do it any other time but for some reason because of tradition you have to, after making the bes shot of your life. The tradition should be the other way round, imo.
It's the same as birthday cake. When you're a kid, you get a birthday cake on your birthday. When you start working in an office, suddenly you have to buy cakes for everyone else on your birthday. What's that all about? ?

My view is that while views on traditions and history may differ, we're all here because we enjoy hitting a little ball towards a hole with sticks. ??

Bamberdele2.0

Visit site
It's the same as birthday cake. When you're a kid, you get a birthday cake on your birthday. When you start working in an office, suddenly you have to buy cakes for everyone else on your birthday. What's that all about? ?

My view is that while views on traditions and history may differ, we're all here because we enjoy hitting a little ball towards a hole with sticks. ??

Don’t know about you but I ain’t buying anyone cakes on my bday, the fatso’s ?

Last edited by a moderator:

KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site

Are traditional rules actual rules or something else?

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Outside of a club competition...I only 'play for cash' in our Saturday rollup - our £1 entry goes into winnings pot. My maximum rollup win is £14. We also play 4BBB matchplay in our rollup groups. £1 front 9; £1 back 9; £1 overall; 20p bits (birdies and sandy pars). My max Rollup 4BBB winnings was £4.20.

I would not want to play for more (I don't play in club comps for the ££ I might possibly win)

Marshy77

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
We normally do £1,1,1 - front, back, overall in our social games.

Went away at the weekend and we put £15 in the prize pot plus the free person money from the 1 in 12 go free deal which went towards the engraving of the trophies plus 5 nearest the pin, 4 individual 1st and 2nd places plus 1st, 2nd and 3rd pairs plus a lowest score and purchase of balls for prizes. I came home with £50 and 2 trophies. I think 8 out of 12 went home with some money or balls.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
We normally do £1,1,1 - front, back, overall in our social games.

Went away at the weekend and we put £15 in the prize pot plus the free person money from the 1 in 12 go free deal which went towards the engraving of the trophies plus 5 nearest the pin, 4 individual 1st and 2nd places plus 1st, 2nd and 3rd pairs plus a lowest score and purchase of balls for prizes. I came home with £50 and 2 trophies. I think 8 out of 12 went home with some money or balls.
In our rollup we cut any players HI by 1/10th of any winnings. So if I won £14 my HI would be cut by 1.4. We do this as a means of reducing the likelihood of the same player winning the £s regularly - thereby spreading winnings around the group (which can be as large as 40).