Played MY best in 2012

need_my_wedge

Has Now Found His Wedgie
Visit site
I already lost this post once today, so am cutting it down, which is probably better for anyone that may care to read it.

21.5 is the best handicap I've had thus far, and that was given to me in the annual review last year based on general play. I then proceeded to climb backwards to the 22 I currently play at the moment. Despite coming close a couple of times, hitting the buffer due to CSS and such, I have never managed a cut in competition.

Yesterday was our May medal, I played with my best mate (off 18) and a third chap (off 12) that neither of us had met. Was a little nervous on the first as it was me to lead off. Managed to hit a lovely drive about 200 yds......straight up in the sky. Not sure what or where that came from, but it wound up about 120 yds up the middle. Deep breath and a couple of shots found me in a green side bunker, and on approach I find my ball fried egged in hard wet sand....lovely. Hit it hard but failed, nervy 5th strike and failed again, finally hacked out and 2 putts for an 8, great start.

Par 3 second, scuff my 7 iron 70 yds left into the trees. Punch it out, straight into the bunker in front of the green. Still nervous from the last bunker I catch the lip and the ball flies up over my head landing back in the bunker behind me....... Another nervy hack and I'm out but take 3 to get down for a 7.

Fantastic, 8 over after two holes, medal already blown.......

My playing partners walk to the 3rd offering consolation and words of encouragement before they both proceed to duff their tee shots. I insisted that they didn't need to play sympathy golf for my sake. A few chuckles before I tee off, and drive straight up the middle. I then proceeded to shoot.....

birdie, par, bogey, bogey, birdie, par, par. All of a sudden I'm 8 over for 9 holes...just struck the ball well and straight, some stone dead chipping and arrow putting helped me out in 44.

Pick up a pasty and a cuppa from the half way, usually my downfall as loss of concentration sets in, but no, despite a dodgy second on the 10th I scramble another par, so 8 over for 10.

11 sees more golfing gods helping me out as a pull into the trees drops and takes a wicked bounce off the path back towards the green where I try really hard to throw away a bogey.

Bogey 12 before hitting a mid round wobble, some really duff chipping, which had been great until then saw me triple bogey 13 and double bogey the par 3 14th. Minds starting to go again, nerves starting to creep in but a bogey at 15 and another par at 16 settle me down.

Big mistake, I glance at the card. A quick tally and if I can complete the last 2 holes (card killers at the best of times) in 10 shots, i 'll hit 97 and be quite happy with my round after the start I had.

17 is tight and tree lined with trouble down the left and OB all down the right. I hit a 7 to try and keep it in play, and just fade it back from a pull to hit the left side of the fairway......blocked out, being pushed towards OB or have to go over trees. Option 2 it is, but I don't hit it cleanly and leave the ball 15 foot up a bank in the trees. bit of scrambling and I'm down for a double bogey, but still thinking I can keep it under 100..... just.

18 is also a tough one, from the back its 130 yd tree lined shoot before you reach the fairway that dog legs right around the trees. Any kind of fade (slice) or pull will put you in the woods. I watch my mate "fade" two balls into woods and start to think about hitting a 7 iron just to put it straight without having a chance of over hitting into the woods......cue hybrid.....pull left, but I cut it and it starts to fade back from the tree line, clearing the shoot and dropping into the middle of the fairway.

Ugly downhill lie, fairway sloping off right, 2 tier raised green with bunker and large oak at the front. I aim left for the oak to compensate for the slope and lie........and hit the oak dropping to the bas below the green. need a good chip, which has been mixed over the holes thus far...."just watch the ball I say, hit it firm and don't look up". I do, and the ball dinks forward looking into the hole as it goes right over the cup and stops 7 foot past the hole.....uphill. If I miss the putt back it's off down to the first tier...... I'm thinking two putts at best, if I can just keep it on the top tier....I tap it an wait....the ball dribbles down the slope into the cup, another par.

Hats and handshakes before moving off to sign the cards. A quick check and .......89!! I do a double take, "are you sure?". yep, despite a couple of extremell bad holes I've carded an 89, for the first time I've broken 90 in a medal......woohoooo!!

I go into the clubhouse and enter my score in the Howdidido system and.........1st Place!! I'm the clubhouse leader by 2 shots and 90% of the field are finished......bloody hell, that's another first.

My card finished with 2 quad bogeys, 1 triple, 2 double, 2 bogeys, 6 pars and 2 birdies for a net 67, and CSS was up to 72.....

The Howdidido results are not in yet, I have no idea whether I finished first or was knocked back? I have no idea whether I will get cut (I think I will)? Nor by how many if I do?.....but I don't care. I've achieved the Play MY best 2012 target I set myself and I'm a happy man:D.

And yes, this was the cut down version......

chris661

Money List Winner
Visit site
Never ever ever give up on a round it is still possible to score well after a nightmare start. Well done and here's hoping to a healthy cut.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
You should write a blog ;)
You don't say what your exact h/cap was but, I would guess you'll be off 20 before you can say 'net double bogey'

Well played :)

need_my_wedge

Has Now Found His Wedgie
Visit site
I'm off 22 at the moment Bob. I still don't get the how they work out handicaps thing. Thought that the 8 and the 7 would be cut back to 6 and 5 respectively for handicap purposes, which would put me about 9 shots under CSS, or have I got that wrong?

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Assuming both holes were above SI4 then they will be lowered by a shot to net double bogey so 7 on the first and 6 on the 2nd. This will mean you are -7 to your handicap, assuming CSS is the same as par. You will come down 0.4 for each shot until you get to 20.4, at which point you will then come down 0.3 for the remaining shots.

Assuming CSS is same as par and you are currently 22.0 then I would expect you to come down to 19.5 (4x0.4+3x0.3=2.5 cut)

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
Thought that the 8 and the 7 would be cut back to 6 and 5 respectively for handicap purposes

They are cut back to NET double bogeys.
So if the 8 was on a par 5 and you obviously get a shot, then there will be no change
Or if it was on a par 4 where you get 2 shots, again, no change.

Matty

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Superb! There's hope for all us high handicappers then :) Just goes to prove what a laugh on the tee can do for your nerves - the key for me is enjoying the game no matter what, and it looks like the scores will follow!

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Never ever ever give up on a round it is still possible to score well after a nightmare start. Well done and here's hoping to a healthy cut.

Absolutely spot on.

I had a nightmare start on Saturday and ended up winning my division.

Well done on the PB and cut NMW. I hope you hung on for the win :)