Play and no pay

Sats

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
There's a couple of lads that I keep seeing sneaking onto the course (4th hole near a public footpath) I doubt that they reported to the pro shop or paid any green fees (didn't see any bag tags) and funny enough they sloped off down through the woods on the 16th - I Does anyone else have these types just playing but not paying for golf? How do you or your clubs deal with people doing this?

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Pretty sure we don't have this problem.
The Zoo is miles from anywhere and, although there are a couple of footpaths that cross the course, you'd have to really, really want to play it for nothing to try and sneak on.
At my last club they have a little par 3 courses and there's always people on there who haven't paid as it's the other side of the car park
It's hard to keep track of those that may have only paid for 9 holes on the short course but go round 3 or 4 times as well.

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
Very difficult to police on some courses.

I’ve noticed a few places I’ve played at as a guest this year making a point of telling me that my guest ticket must be displayed clearly.

D

Deleted member 15344

Have you approached them ? Most clubs that don’t Marshall’s will need to rely on their members to approach people - if not then there is no one to police it

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
We have this problem our 9 hole course. 1st tee is nowhere near the clubhouse or pro shop and it has a car park right next to it. We have course marshalls who are volunteers but there are only so many hours they can cover.

We also get a certain amount of petty vandalism on the course such OB posts thrown in the river.

We have just dropped our 9 hole fee because several visitors had been abusing it and its has become an 18 hole fee available only. Still reasonably good value at just £15.

Sats

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I'll be speaking with them next time I see them, Hopefully they're members I've not met yet who live close, or it's a big misunderstanding, although I reckon it won't be.

robbeh32

Visit site
I'm not a member anywhere and pay to play everywhere I go in Norfolk but I've never been given a tag to show I've paid. Could easily wander on any course and play.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
We had an issue this summer with people rocking up around 6.30 onwards when the pro shop is shut and rocking out fir nine holes. Difficult at times to approach four beefy guys to ask the questions and to be honest the bar staff aren't interested in getting involved. With no marshal working at that time there's little that can be done to police it. Even if I reported my concerns hard to prove anything and the club would probably ignore the issue

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
One of those things in life. Club weigh up what costs more.. policing it or the actual few hundred a month in fees..

Members shouldn’t have to ask it’s not their responsibility. Also could start a row which is last thing people want

If people want to be dishonest let them. They run the risk.

Also snitches get stitches

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
As a solo out on the course would I ask a group if they were members? What happens if they say no? How do you escalate the conversation calmly? If the individuals take to the game will they become members?

I was a member of a club that decided to confront a group they'd seen on the course a few times. Cue a few dug up greens, also sprayed with what looked like oil.

Sometimes, for the sake of a few hundred pounds its not worth the aggravation.

D

Deleted member 15344

One of those things in life. Club weigh up what costs more.. policing it or the actual few hundred a month in fees..

Members shouldn’t have to ask it’s not their responsibility. Also could start a row which is last thing people want

If people want to be dishonest let them. They run the risk.

Also snitches get stitches

“Snitches get stitches” - that’s something you hear 12 year olds say in a playground

Why should I allow someone to get something for free that I’m honest to pay for ? Sorry but that’s just typical of today’s society

And when it’s a members club it’s also the members responsibility- so yes a member should approach if they think someone has snuck on or at the very least phone the pro shop

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
“Snitches get stitches” - that’s something you hear 12 year olds say in a playground

Why should I allow someone to get something for free that I’m honest to pay for ? Sorry but that’s just typical of today’s society

And when it’s a members club it’s also the members responsibility- so yes a member should approach if they think someone has snuck on or at the very least phone the pro shop

It is a member's responsibility to do something but its the something that has to be given some thought. Being a Colonel Blimp that marches up is just naive. Advise the club Secretary, and then let the club come up with a robust plan.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
It is a member's responsibility to do something but its the something that has to be given some thought. Being a Colonel Blimp that marches up is just naive. Advise the club Secretary, and then let the club come up with a robust plan.

Much more sensible ... don’t just march up and get a fat lip because “it’s my responsibility”

Morons charge in without a plan.. reporting to the club means something can be done properly

D

Deleted member 15344

Much more sensible ... don’t just march up and get a fat lip because “it’s my responsibility”

Morons charge in without a plan..
reporting to the club means something can be done properly

Who said about doing exactly what you suggest ? People are capable of approaching others in a calm respectful manner just to ask a question. I have approached people on the course before for a number of reasons and had no issues.

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
Who said about doing exactly what you suggest ? People are capable of approaching others in a calm respectful manner just to ask a question. I have approached people on the course before for a number of reasons and had no issues.

I approached a 3 ball calmly and respectfully whilst out on my own. The response wasn't pleasant at all. It became very threatening very quickly. I might do it in a 4 ball but I wouldn't do it if I was out as a single again.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I was playing Ruislip yesterday and saw some people who lived by the course had back gardens backing right onto the course, and some had a padlocked gate in their back fence. We remarked it would be ridiculously easy for these people to play the course for free, they'd go out of their gate, play from the 9th, the 18th green is by the 1st tee and not visible from the clubhouse, so they would easily get away with it. I wonder if anyone does that, particularly now that course is basically empty.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
If somebody is in the wrong they won’t like being challenged. Going up is asking for trouble but if you think it’s best happy days...

Crazyface

Tour Winner
Visit site
Wouldn't challenge anyone at my place. I have noticed that you can park at the top of the car park and then make your way unnoticed to the 11th tee. And there are often cars parked up there when they could park further down. Hmmmmmm.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
The council course up the road from me was full of guys playing for free every Friday afternoon when i was a member. easy to spot as they all parked in the green keepers compound or in the lay by near the 10th tee. all pissed and rough so no one ever challenged them. you don't see it much now though.

At Nairn i'm often suspicious of people playing late evening in the summer. people you don't recognize who park miles from the fist tee even though that time of night the place is empty and you could almost park next to it.

D

Deleted member 1418

I was playing the course one evening in the summer and came across a group of 4 lads - probably 16 to 18 - kicking a football around on our 6th green! I went up to them, asked them what they were up to, and then told them to get lost.........or words to that effect!! It worked.

Depends on the situation I suppose and how you approach it. I could've been polite, and then got a load of verbal back. But in this situation, actually being a bit forceful and confrontational when they knew they were completely in the wrong actually worked. And the fact I still had my 3 iron in my hand and was waving it around probably helped too!!

Not witnessed any 'play no pay' but I would definitely report it to the club.