Starters - what's the point of them?

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Im a member at wexham and the starter is a top bloke really helpful and wouldn’t rush someone if they were not ready. With him watching your tee shot we’ve had problems where players teeing off end up on the adjoining fairway (2nd) and very few shout fore so he keeps an eye out and if the players don’t shout he does.

I would just say I wasn’t ready and he would of been ok with that and waited for you to arrive in time for your tee time.
Oh yea, as I said I have nothing against him at all, nice bloke and we really should have said we wanted to warm up for longer or what-have-you. It was just the whole thing raising the question to me of what they were for that's all. I like Wexham I just need to remember that they him there and then we'll just pay when we're ready to go I think! :)

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site
Starters I've met have generally been welcoming. Amongst things they've done have been to welcome us to the course, check that we go off at the right time . They've asked if we know the course and if not, will talk you through any less obvious bits, explained pin positions, explained line of play on some holes, and so on. I like them. Best one I recall was at the Castle course at St Andrew's. Honourable mentions go to the guy at Nairn (Patrick148's place) and at Prestwick St Nicholas, North Berwick & Gleneagles

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
Oh yea, as I said I have nothing against him at all, nice bloke and we really should have said we wanted to warm up for longer or what-have-you. It was just the whole thing raising the question to me of what they were for that's all. I like Wexham I just need to remember that they him there and then we'll just pay when we're ready to go I think! :)

I usually pay whenever i first get to the club (even if that's before breakie/coffee etc) and certainly before I'd go warm up etc. Why wait until near tee-off time to pay?

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I usually pay whenever i first get to the club (even if that's before breakie/coffee etc) and certainly before I'd go warm up etc. Why wait until near tee-off time to pay?
Yeah we do as well generally, hence we did this time. Pay for the round early then do putting and warm up since that stuff is usually nearer the tee than the pro shop is so you don't have to walk back on yourself.