Looking for a coach around cambridge

PointJpeg

Visit site
This is a copy&paste of a post I made at ask the experts but it looks like The Lounge is better for these kind of questions ;)

Hi,

I've moved to the UK last year and am now getting back into golf.

I'm in my early twenties and have been playing since I'm 6, and have been a 4 handicap back in France.

I've joined Gog Magog in March as they have a very good deal for under 25s and it seemed like the best golf course around. Finally, I just got a car and can finally travel freely in the area without relying on taxis or public transport.

So after my 3 cards to get my UK / CONGU handicap (which got me a 5.0 after 1 half-decent round which was tarnished by a triple-bogey and 2 terrible rounds). I'm looking to get back into the game seriously and would like to get regular lessons with a coach.

However, having just moved there I've no idea who to go to and would rather just try a few recommended ones rather than just going to random pros (including the ones at Gog Magog).

I'm also looking for a new driver, fairway woods and hybrid (but already have a fitting for those at the gog magog proshop this sunday which hopefully will yield good results).

Anyways, if you guys have any good recommendations, I don't really have a budget in mind (as in if the pro is actually really good, paying a high lesson price is ok with me and I'd probably want to negotiate with said coach to lay down a season long coaching plan and see how much the price would be).

Thanks!

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Welcome

Lounge def a better place for this!

Dont know the set up at Gog Magog these days (pretty sure theres a member on here so he may be able to comment on the pros)

How far from you is John O Gaunt? Lee Scarbrow is very good (does a lot of work with Beds county set up etc) and has decent facilities at JOG

PointJpeg

Visit site
I work in the south-east part of Cambridge (right next to Fulbourn) so JOG looks like a 45 min drive (maybe more if going after work).

I've also seen that Paul Ashwell in St Ives is in the top 25 golf-monthly coaches, but that might also be a bit far especially with traffic.

Also (since I copy and pasted the post above forgot to say I did go to the fitting this sunday!), I did my fitting at Gogs this sunday which also helped me gage the setup they have for teaching. Unfortunately the studio is only indoors on a screen, and the range is really small (5-6 mats, without any roof), so it's ok for a fitting but I'd rather have lessons on a proper range (+ GC2 / Trackman is a plus). Simon (head pro) did the fitting and saw right away that I was hitting most shots off the heel because of being too close to the ball with hands too low, so I'll be working on that this week on the range. So overall, the downside at Gog Magog is just the fact that there is no teaching studio on the range.

Because the fitting was one hour long for Driver + FW wood + hybrid, we only had time to go through the Driver section and he recommended a Rogue SubZ with the Synergy stiff shaft which I hit between 2.2 and 2.5k spin but found to be quite low (hard to judge off hitting on a screen though, average launch angle was low 12 degrees I think).

Last edited:

VVega

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Paul is great, but since you also mentioned fitting it’s worth pointing out that he is not a fitter. He only does coaching and isn’t involved in retail/fitting.

You have an option to book a fitting at Titleist adjacent to Paul’s studio.

ScienceBoy

Money List Winner
Visit site
Girton seems to be selling itself as a teaching hotspot. Has a good setup from what I hear.

My coach is leaving Cambridge Driving Range at the science park so I’m looking for a new one. Hopefully the person who replaces him is as good.

A few on here are members at the Gogs, it’s right near my house but I doubt I will ever get to join it. I doubt any of the guys from here will invite me back my game was that bad... ;)

Hope you find a coach you a looking for, I will just take anyone at the moment as all I am doing is playing the par 3 in the south west!

PointJpeg

Visit site
When were pro's replaced by coaches????

I use pro and coach interchangeably but I see a pro as someone who only gives lesson on your swing whereas a coach would also train you how to think on a golf course and how to approach the game of golf etc...