PING Scottsdale TR Anser 2 adjustable

Tiger

Money List Winner
rub-of-the-green.blogspot.com
You know the addage it's never the arrow it's always the Indian. Well sometimes that mantra is utter poppycock. I've struggled with my putting for sometime now, when I was stroking them well there was no stopping me but sadly I was far too inconsistent. I'd flirted with the idea of getting a mallet with the Nome TR top of the to try list.

After a few conversations with my coach and some research she had conducted, it was determined that an Anser style neck and head were actually the best suited to my stroke. Following a static fitting it became clear that I needed a 36" putter 4 degrees flat.

I had been intrigued by the Ping variable groove technology and immediately looked to try the range. I was not disappointed. VGT is certainly not a gimmick. I was intentionally miss hitting strokes and still getting very consistent distances with the same stroke length.

I tried the Anser 2, B60 and Tomcat models but fell in love with the Anser 2. I got the adjustable length model which can be tweaked between 31 and 38 inches. There's a little tool that you simply turn to loosen the shaft. You have to be careful to get the right length and make sure it's square. The benefit is getting the length just right -mines just shy of 36".

The weight feels great and I have good control over the stroke. The grip might not work for all but I love the firm mid-sized feel. Be aware if you get the adjustable model that you have to have a mid-sized grip as a thinner version makes the putter non conforming.

The build quality is top drawer and the sound off the face is great from centre hits (off centre strikes are a little clicky). However it all comes down to performance and I can't fault it. I've been holing putts from all over the place, my pace consistency has improved and I'm much more confident on short range putts. Is this a honeymoon period? Time will tell but I would highly recommend.

:)