Phil Mickelson competition.

mikest

Club Champion
www.middlesbroughgolfclub.co.uk
Well the bad news for me was I couldn't make the day meeting big phil but luckily my brother got the chance to go in place of me. I still went to Chessington and got the clubs, what an awesom experience that was, the pro Nick Foley was very clued up and covered everything in the hour and half I was there. I came away with an FT-5 driver, 2 FT fairway woods and the x-20 tour irons as well as a 56 degree X-Forged wedge with Mack daddy grooves to compliment the 52 degree I already have. I also recieved a Callaway Warbird HOT bag in black which looks the business.

Anyway on to big Phil, my brother got the train up to Glasgow on the Sunday night and checked into the Hilton where all the Callaway winners were staying, the Rep told him there was some bad news and good news but they all would be told over dinner at a top restaurant they were taking them all to.

Phil had been invited to have a practice day at Birkdale (not that it did hi much good!) so wouldn't be arriving at Loch Lomond until the wednesday (in his own words the Scottish open means very little to him as he plays similar courses every week in the USA). The good news was he was sending his new 60 million dollar jet to collect them all and take them down to Birkdale!

My brother said Mickelson was nothing like he expected, so down to earth and so open, a true gentleman. The winners were supposed to eat lunch with him int he clubhouse but instead he took them to a local hotel he had found that he thought was excellent. Over dinner he chatted with the winners about their games and about the up coming Ryder cup (which by the way he says they are nailed on to win this year!)

He gave a chipping lesson on the first tee at Birkdale (if you search on youtube for phil mickelson chipping lesson its on there)and answered any questions everyone had before signing caps for everyone and taking pictures.

Even though it was weeks ago my brother is still going on about it every day and I'm gutted I missed out on the chance to meet him but still glad he could go in my place.

The reason he thinks they will win is that they have cut the fairways much narrower at the 260 yard mark as most Europeans flight the ball shorter than the US players but get much more run and also because this is the first year that the USA team will be given all 5 pin positions to put at a coupel of weeks before. apparantly the europeans do it every year so every put they get they know exactly where its gonna break and the speed etc. this year the yanks have followed suit and all the team will be putting at them before the Europeans arrive - I find it hard to believe its took them so long to do this personally but anyway thats what he said.

Anyway well done to Callaway and to Phil Mickelson, the way I was treated at Chessington and the way my brother was means I'll be sticking with them from now on.

By the way the X20 tours are working fine, hit 74 the first time I used them 2 weeks ago. Not sure about the driver at the minute but gonna keep with it for now, I'm stuck offshore so can't wait to get back and play next week.

TonyN

Money List Winner
Visit site
Gutted for you not meeting the big man.

Thats some nice gear you have there if i do say so my self(see the signature) I also have the same bag

Heard about the mix up and the jet, just amazing what he did to fix it.

Sounds like your brother had the time of his life, and you didnt do to bad either!