Personal range monitors.

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Back in 2016 I think, I used to own a skycaddy sc100 which I used to use at the range, specifically for wedge scoring which I use to enjoy. I moved it on as shortly after took a break from the game and have noticed upon return there are a lot more on the market, g80, sc200, sc300, es12, es14..... etc etc.

What a people using out there at the moment and what’s their views

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
Garmin G80.

It's a fine GPS. Not the best, but as good as most. So a top SkyCaddie has better pictures, maps, what ever.

As a LM, it does what I want. I only ever use it in range mode. It reads club head speed, and ball speed very well. Compared to a 20k system. Carry distance is about 10% down, which is annoying. I wish it would show launch angle too, which it must know, but doesn't tell you.

I use it for club head speed. It is what I am interested in. I have also not used it outdoors, which may make a difference.

This needs to sit about 12" or less from the ball. So it works in my garage. Others need to be 8ft behind, this would not work for me, there is not enough space.

Daff

Hacker
Visit site
I bought a PRGR launch monitor at the end of last year. I mainly bought it to try and gap my clubs effectively.
I think that it does a fairly decent job of it and from what I read it's fairly accurate for what it does. It's not a trackman or gc quad, but it's a cheap (relatively) and interesting training device
I like it

howbow88

Hacker
Visit site
I reckon this is an area that is going to explode over the next few years. Skytrak seem to have positioned themselves very well (budget version of GCQuad), and sooner or later I reckon they will have real competition.

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
I reckon this is an area that is going to explode over the next few years. Skytrak seem to have positioned themselves very well (budget version of GCQuad), and sooner or later I reckon they will have real competition.

Skytrak is what, 1800 quid. That is is not what is being discussed here.

Rapsodo, mevo, etc, around the 600 or less. Portable systems.

To me, the ones that need to be 10ft behind the strike point render them useless for what I want.

bwstokie

Visit site
I’ve got an ES sports ES14 and does a pretty decent job. Few of the stats are calculation based but it gives a decent picture. Also it’s Bluetooth and the associated app is pretty slick and records shots that you can export to Excel if you like that kind of thing ?. Think it cost me £399 from Golf Swing Systems. Comes with a carry bag, the unit sits to the side and slightly out in front so could be susceptible to the hosel rocket. I had a G80 as well but it didn’t give enough info as has been alluded to but was very good still for the price.

road2ruin

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Skytrak is what, 1800 quid. To me, the ones that need to be 10ft behind the strike point render them useless for what I want.

To be fair, whilst expensive, the Skytrak one is positioned next to your ball rather than behind.

I have got the Mevo+ which is a similar price to the Skytrak. It does have to be positioned 8ft behind the ball however that’s fine as it’s for garden use mostly and I’e enjoyed playing a few rounds of golf and having a ‘proper’ driving range rather than just thrashing balls into a net. Probably overkill but I enjoy using it.

D-S

Visit site
Garmin G80.

It's a fine GPS. Not the best, but as good as most. So a top SkyCaddie has better pictures, maps, what ever.

As a LM, it does what I want. I only ever use it in range mode. It reads club head speed, and ball speed very well. Compared to a 20k system. Carry distance is about 10% down, which is annoying. I wish it would show launch angle too, which it must know, but doesn't tell you.

I use it for club head speed. It is what I am interested in. I have also not used it outdoors, which may make a difference.

This needs to sit about 12" or less from the ball. So it works in my garage. Others need to be 8ft behind, this would not work for me, there is not enough space.

Interesting that you say the carry distance is 10% down. I have an S40 and the shot distance function is always 10% too little - it is fairly consistent. Not sure why but it renders this feature useless which is annoying.

howbow88

Hacker
Visit site
I have got the Mevo+ which is a similar price to the Skytrak. It does have to be positioned 8ft behind the ball however that’s fine as it’s for garden use mostly and I’e enjoyed playing a few rounds of golf and having a ‘proper’ driving range rather than just thrashing balls into a net. Probably overkill but I enjoy using it.
Doesn't it need a certain amount of space between the ball and the net? I'm sure when I read the amount, I was put off due to the distance it would put between myself and the net... A shank from a couple of yards is ok, but from more than that and there is the real risk of missing the net and smashing a neighbours window :ROFLMAO:

road2ruin

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Doesn't it need a certain amount of space between the ball and the net? I'm sure when I read the amount, I was put off due to the distance it would put between myself and the net... A shank from a couple of yards is ok, but from more than that and there is the real risk of missing the net and smashing a neighbours window :ROFLMAO:

Yeah, it needs 8ft behind and then 8ft in front. I had the same concerns as you, didn’t want to start having to explain to neighbours why it was raining Truvis all of a sudden!! I got a golf net that has the depth so I can stand almost at its entrance so zero (or close to) that any ball is ending up in next doors garden.

nickjdavis

Head Pro
Visit site
I've got an SC200+ having owned an ES14 when they first came out.

Without going into great depths the best thing about the ES14 was the mobile app which allowed you to export scores to Excel. As a device it was good but did have some limitations...the need to adjust the angle at which it pointed towards trhe shy depending on whether you were hitting wedge/mid iron/longirons/woods was one. As was the devices occasional spurious readings that would occur if you pulled a ball low and left. Its quite large and sometimes the LCD display is difficult to read depending on the light. As has been mentioned the fact that it sat a foot or so in front of the ball and to the right did render it vulnerable to potential impact. Also...i don't know if modern versions have changed but there was no possibility to update the firmware...e.g. to refine ball flight algorithms. The device was also not infallible in terms of detecting shots...it was particularly weak with wedge shots but got better as you moved up the bag....ignoring the wedge shots I'd say it managed to get somewhere between 90 and 95% of other shots.

The SC200 works by being placed directly on the line of play, some 4ft behind the ball. Its a more compact unit than the ES14 (similar profile to a modern smartphone, just a bit thicker), does a much better job of detecting shots (I'd say around 98% of all shots, including wedges)...has a nice remote that allows you to change your current club without bending down and messing with the unit itself. Couple of oddities are that you can select Driver and all woods from 3 to 7....but no 2-wood. Also has no ability to select a lob wedge, 1 iron or 2 iron. The range of loft adjustment for each iron is limited and if you've got one of these modern sets with highly jacked lofts then you may find that you cannot select the appropriate loft for the club....e.g. a 6 iron can be set from 25-33 degrees. SC200 has a nice feature that allows you to measure swing speed without actually hitting a ball. In terms of accuracy I'd say it overestimates carry distance by 5% or so (once you've factored in the difference between range balls and the balls you would use on course). Swing speed seems pretty accurate. Doesn't give launch angle or spin rate...for that you need the SC300 model. Most disappointingly...you cant export your data.

Pants

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Interesting that you say the carry distance is 10% down. I have an S40 and the shot distance function is always 10% too little - it is fairly consistent. Not sure why but it renders this feature useless which is annoying.

Sounds like you need to get the S40 GM Forum version ....:ROFLMAO:

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
One of the things that I do like about the G80 is that you don't need to tell it what club you are using.
The device itself must measure launch angle, as it would be needed to calculate carry. It seems odd that it won't display it.

jmcp

Visit site
I also have the G80 and really like it but I would not be surprised if in the near future there is not a newer model that sends the shot data to an app on your phone and displays the shot like you see on skytrak, mevo+ etc.., that would be a worthy upgrade imo for people who use it in their garages, back gardens etc..

cheers, John

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I’ve got an ES sports ES14 and does a pretty decent job. Few of the stats are calculation based but it gives a decent picture. Also it’s Bluetooth and the associated app is pretty slick and records shots that you can export to Excel if you like that kind of thing ?. Think it cost me £399 from Golf Swing Systems. Comes with a carry bag, the unit sits to the side and slightly out in front so could be susceptible to the hosel rocket. I had a G80 as well but it didn’t give enough info as has been alluded to but was very good still for the price.

it’s the socket rocket that worries me, inevitably at the range you’re grooving new swing ideas and a rock hard range ball through the unit doesn’t bode well

njc1973

Head Pro
Visit site
I’ve been looking at these as well and from what I’ve read the mevo doesn’t show any lateral movement data and the rapsodo doesn’t show ball spin, although they are alleged to be the most accurate devices at the £500 price point. Hopefully in a year or so they’ll be a model that does both at this price.

njc1973

Head Pro
Visit site
There’s a new bar in personal launch mni coming out called the r10, supposed to be able to give you all the data that skytrack does, you can use it as a simulator as well. Only costs 599

Springveldt

Visit site
After humming and hawing for about 4 years now about getting a launch monitor and waiting on SkyTrak or a competitor to become cheaper I finally bought a Rapsodo last week after MyGolfSpy rated it the best of the £500 ones for the 2nd year in a row.

Garmin just announced the R10 that looks like it blows it out the water and I haven’t even used mine yet.

Bloody typical. ?