Personal Launch Monitors

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
Messing about today with the G80, in a net, with prov1x, I think the swing speed was about right for me, where I am now, 79mph 5i, but the carry and distance were garbage, but then my ball striking was awful. Nothing remotely near the middle. Then I went out and played, and yes, my ball striking was awful, and to be fair the numbers on the G80 weren't that far out. I am just rubbish.

Swinglowandslow

Visit site
I use the voice caddie sc200. I don't rely on the carry distance ( range balls)
Except as a comparison amongst the different irons.
But it gives swing speed and smash factor.
Slightly useful and makes practice a little more interesting.

peld

Visit site
I use the voice caddie sc200. I don't rely on the carry distance ( range balls)
Except as a comparison amongst the different irons.
But it gives swing speed and smash factor.
Slightly useful and makes practice a little more interesting.
even though its range balls, does it give you sensible carry figures though?

Swinglowandslow

Visit site

I hope not😀 Doesn't do much for my ego!

Seriously, the distances it gives with range balls can't be right, because with real balls I do hit further..Not sure exactly how the device calculates carry, but I would imagine a range ball flys off the club at a different speed from a real ball, because of their construction?

Springveldt

Visit site
Depends on the range ball. At the range I use they use Srixon distance limited balls that also spin a ton so a launch monitor is completely useless for them.

I'd avoid the personal ones just now as none of them do spin properly. You can't get really accurate carry distances without knowing the spin. I'd imagine they should be good for launch angle and ball speed but that's about it really.

I buy a load of golf junk and I'm a sucker for tech but if I was going the launch monitor route just now, the minimum I would get is the Sky Track.

Springveldt

Visit site
I hope not😀 Doesn't do much for my ego!

Seriously, the distances it gives with range balls can't be right, because with real balls I do hit further..Not sure exactly how the device calculates carry, but I would imagine a range ball flys off the club at a different speed from a real ball, because of their construction?
If they are distance limited balls then yes. The device just looks at launch angle, ball speed and has a guess at the spin rate to calculate the carry distance.