Personal Launch Monitors

peld

Visit site
I only live 5 minutes from my club & driving range, but now the nights are dark, the lighting on the range is poor (cant see beyond about 90 yards).

I was thinking of getting a "consumer level" launch monitor to take with me so I can still practice with my longer clubs. I know the SkyTrak is great, but that's £1500. I was looking at the sub £400-ish ones, such as VoiceCaddie SC200 or SC300, the ES 12 or 14, Garmin G80, FlightScope MeVo etc
All i need is accurate carry distance really because I can probably see enough of the shape (push/pull at least), and spin analysis is Trackman money.

MyGolfSpy are about to release test results on these which will be interesting, but would be interested to hear if anyone has any experience or stories to share with them?

chasf

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I have the sc300 and it gets the carry distances bang on. The launch angle and spin and apex are not as accurate as the expensive units.

I just use the launch angles as guide. I am trying to get my launch angle up and so I just look to see increases between each shot and not the number.

I use it mainly to get my carry numbers and it does that well.

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
I have the Garmin G80. I have only used it indoors with range balls so far. When I get a chance to try it with real balls, outside, I will review it properly. I bought mine for 315 off ebay. If I try real balls outside, I can use the gps measure shot feature to check the carry.
That said it's not great conditions at the moment, temperature and wind wise.

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
Not entirely true in my case. I just want a number I can use as a base line. I feel my swing speed, particularly with irons has been dropping off. I just want some numbers I can use to see what I can do to get a faster swing speed. The actual numbers are not so important to me.

MendieGK

Tour Winner
Visit site
Not entirely true in my case. I just want a number I can use as a base line. I feel my swing speed, particularly with irons has been dropping off. I just want some numbers I can use to see what I can do to get a faster swing speed. The actual numbers are not so important to me.
But swing speed is just a calculation based on the ball speed tracked on these devices. Even GC2 doesn’t give you an accurate swing speed without HMT

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
In my opinion, and purely based on using an SC200 but being both a cheapskate and lucky enough to have one locally, but I'd rather use a range with Toptracer Arguably more accurate compared to the personal models and as much if not detail as well more practice mode options

peld

Visit site
Mevo is Good

All of these are pointless with rangeballs though
it depends how good the range balls (they are good at my course) and it isnt too difficult to get some calibration if you can try some shots on grass/with a real ball

D

Deleted member 21258

If you wish to measure the swing speed, then the swing radar is very good, pretty cheap, very similar figures to GC quad and flightscope, when I compared. I used one to measure my increases, whilst trying to swing faster, very easy and quick to use, at home or on the course.

Its one of the red or blue ones like this :-

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Sports-S...477814?hash=item1a87803bf6:g:SsoAAOSwHblduaIK

Hope that helps.

peld

Visit site
Checkout mygolfspy latest podcast.
they havent released the test yet. all they said is to wait if you want to use them indoors. They were about to test them outside, which is what i want them for. Most feedback on many of them is they arent the best indoors as they need a good distance of ball flight to measure (as they are using the radar instead of cameras).

User20204

Visit site
Watched them again, they do mention indoors but the general consensus was Skytrack good, the rest wait a couple of years.

peld

Visit site
if you listen to podcast (youtube only has a shortened version) his exact words are "early signs, before I take them outside..........early signs of doing it inside"....

no doubt they will get better/cheaper but a few years is quite a long time, especially for golfers who love to spend money thinking their game is going to get better!!

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Our range uses a mixture of range balls and finders, so you could do a back to back to see if the compression element (I am assuming this is what posters are talking about) impacts.
I would argue for certain swing speeds the compression impact is pretty negligible and within the tolerances the manufacturers put on their kit.
However if your a 110mph + driver swinger (and yes in my dreams I am ) then I think the compression stuff will be massively obvious.

So if anyone is out there and has this kit and an opportunity to hit a mixture of balls then please post your findings .. might also highlight the stick with one ball argument

MendieGK

Tour Winner
Visit site
Our range uses a mixture of range balls and finders, so you could do a back to back to see if the compression element (I am assuming this is what posters are talking about) impacts.
I would argue for certain swing speeds the compression impact is pretty negligible and within the tolerances the manufacturers put on their kit.
However if your a 110mph + driver swinger (and yes in my dreams I am ) then I think the compression stuff will be massively obvious.

So if anyone is out there and has this kit and an opportunity to hit a mixture of balls then please post your findings .. might also highlight the stick with one ball argument
I’ve got GC2 so could definitely do that.

However on Sunday I hit a shot with flightscope and a range ball and smash factor came back at 1.25.

I smoked it out of the middle