Personal Lunch monitors - worth it or not?

mashleyR7

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
So ive got a stash of money from my big 40 last December and keep looking launch monitors to use at the range.

I've watched few reviews and understand they're not all 100% up against trackman and the expensive professional systems. But how do you rate them for guidance and bit of fun and structure to a range session?

There's a few to choose from?

ES12 or ES14
Swing Caddie SC100 or SC300
Garmin G8 (which doubles as a GPS to so could loose the range finder to offset some of the cost)
Or the Mevo & Mevo+

I know the Skytrak isn't mega money but out of my range still.

If you've used any of them Id appreciate your thoughts?

Cheers.

RangeMonkey

Visit site
I’ve got the SC200, and it’s just a random number generator.
I once tested it, and hit three balls to land within a few (5ish) yards of the 100 yard marker at the range, and got 65, 90 and 130 yards reported.
This was when I was hitting it quite well, but YouTube testers have had better results, so it might have been down to the quality of my shots?

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Not used one but the Mygolfspy guys reckon we'd be best waiting a couple of years for the tech to get better.
My biggest problem with these units is what useful data they're going to give you.
If you're hitting range balls my answer would be nothing.
If you're hitting a similar ball to that which you use on the course then you'll be getting something out of it...but then you have to go and pick your balls up...

MendieGK

Tour Winner
Visit site
Mevo is the way forward at this price range but once again if you’re using range balls it’s a waste of time

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
I have the Garmin G80.

It depends what you want it for.

Ball speed, club head speed, smash, are spot on to trackman. Carry and distance are about 10 to 15 yards out. Short.

I use mine to keep on top of club head speed. I have a tendency to hit a bit too easy, and it drops off.

The other numbers, carry etc, I use as a reference, not an absolute.

Britishshooting

Club Champion
Visit site
Unfortunately I found them all with exception of mevo + as never used that to be utter tosh in comparison to a proper launch monitor. There’s a reason the price point is so much lower.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
It's definitely a market that I can see expanding quickly in the next few years especially since the Sky Trak system has come along and made it more accessible and well known to the general golfing public

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Depends on your budget. Aren't there finance options available or instalments as well

wouldnt have a clue, like the vast majority of the general golfing public i wouldnt be spending anywhere close to that figure.

for very good golfers and/or obsessive over practisers then I guess it may appear affordable

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
wouldnt have a clue, like the vast majority of the general golfing public i wouldnt be spending anywhere close to that figure.

for very good golfers and/or obsessive over practisers then I guess it may appear affordable
As this market grows though then surely prices will drop. Sky Trak can charge this as there aren't too many competitors at the moment but as technology grows and more and more of these monitors come out then golfers will get more choice and the machines will become more reliable and accurate

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
As this market grows though then surely prices will drop. Sky Trak can charge this as there aren't too many competitors at the moment but as technology grows and more and more of these monitors come out then golfers will get more choice and the machines will become more reliable and accurate

or its a niche product with minimal demand and thus those that are in the market will continue to charge exorbitant amounts due to the inelastic demand for the product

if technology moves on enough it will be available where people practise in public, a bit like toptracer are doing now but better imho

Jigger

Club Champion
Visit site
look at the YouTube reviews. There’s plenty comparing to the high end kit which is a good indicator. Personally I’d say if you can’t get a SkyTrak with an appropriate setup I’d just book sessions in all the trackman/toptracer places that are popping up everywhere.