Personal Lunch monitors - worth it or not?

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
If the idea of £2k is too much for some (and to be honest even if I had the room to swing a club in the garage, I'd have to seriously consider the cost) then I know many ranges are offering their launch monitors for hire. My local range has GC quad and you can pay something like £20 for a 30 minute session in the indoor bay by the shop. I've even seen some with Sky Trak as the monitor. If people want to use a monitor there are definitely options out there if they don't want to shell out on their own model

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
I looked at Skytrak, but decided against. I have a decent set up in my garage, to an extent, but don't feel comfortable swinging my driver. There is enough room, but it feels tight.

More than that though, I can't envisage spending more than the odd 15 minutes out there hitting balls. On my own, it is all a bit soulless. A bit pointless. 15 minutes with my Garmin is fine.

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
Not sure why anyone would want to pay £2k or need any gadget like these. £7-£10 buys you 100 balls at a range with Trackman or Top Tracer and gives you all the information that you need.

Would you need this more than once a month? Once a quarter?

Who knows we all practice differently I guess.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Not sure why anyone would want to pay £2k or need any gadget like these. £7-£10 buys you 100 balls at a range with Trackman or Top Tracer and gives you all the information that you need.

The issue with Top Tracer as others have said in different threads is they aren't always "normalised" or have the capability to be changed to that setting. Surely then, with incorrect data it makes the practice worthless.

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
The issue with Top Tracer as others have said in different threads is they aren't always "normalised" or have the capability to be changed to that setting. Surely then, with incorrect data it makes the practice worthless.

And what has everyone said about these home devices?

My experiences with ranges is they're there or thereabouts with what I would expect with a slight drop in distance due to the balls. Certainly nothing that was vastly concerning that would ever make me question the equipment.

Jigger

Club Champion
Visit site

And every winter I think of people like you and chuckle in my heated garage.

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
They have bulldozed the range I used, and are putting houses on it.
The other range options are a fair drive away, through some pretty grim traffic.

Andy

Tour Winner
Visit site

Rob @ Mearns Castle rents out his Trackman studio. £20 per hour with unlimited baws. Great deal.

Springveldt

Visit site
So ive got a stash of money from my big 40 last December and keep looking launch monitors to use at the range.

I've watched few reviews and understand they're not all 100% up against trackman and the expensive professional systems. But how do you rate them for guidance and bit of fun and structure to a range session?

There's a few to choose from?

ES12 or ES14
Swing Caddie SC100 or SC300
Garmin G8 (which doubles as a GPS to so could loose the range finder to offset some of the cost)
Or the Mevo & Mevo+

I know the Skytrak isn't mega money but out of my range still.

If you've used any of them Id appreciate your thoughts?

Cheers.
From everything I've read on them and my understanding of the technology in them I would avoid anything under the SkyTrack (and Mevo+ now which I think is the same price as the SkyTrack) at the moment if you are wanting "sensible" readings. If you are hitting range balls then every one of them is a waste of money as they aren't going to give you proper distances, launch or spin.

Britishshooting

Club Champion
Visit site

As you say we all practice differently. I personally throughout the summer use mine probably 4-5 evenings a week for an hour and some mornings down at the practice ground. I'm a bit of a data geek, I love tracking my progress, I share data with my coach and it allows us to focus on much finer details. I feel I get value from it unfortunately such practice sessions aren't feasible this year due to work commitments so i'm thinking of parting with mine. I do a lot of the combine skill tests also on the launch monitor it forces me to vary my practice and it actually adds some level of pressure that translates to the course as I'm always trying to improve my score etc.

I don't bother with the range except to keep loose and keep my swing during these winter periods when I can't use the practice facilties. As soon as it dries out i'll be down the practice ground again most evenings with my bag of practice balls. I get no value from the range off mats with range balls it's not giving me any consistent/reliable feedback that translates to the course.

Got a toptracer at a local range, its good fun but thats about it unfortunately. Same with £500 launch monitors, not offering enough reliable feedback.

mikejohnchapman

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
As you say we all practice differently. I personally throughout the summer use mine probably 4-5 evenings a week for an hour and some mornings down at the practice ground. I'm a bit of a data geek, I love tracking my progress, I share data with my coach and it allows us to focus on much finer details.

I think that's a key point. I monitor will give you data (right or wrong) - needs someone to convert that to information you can use and then change your swing to improve.