Personal range monitors.

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
That’s where the linked article is .. but the question is will it want to compete with skytrack or be sitting alone - if so it won’t be a big seller. They have to distinguish themselves at the different price points. The R10 at £500-600 has put a marker in the sand for that.

So the question is if you’re using a range with a tracer, will the extra £600 be worth it

howbow88

Hacker
Visit site
https://forums.golfwrx.com/topic/1825070-bushnell-launch-pro-device-with-foresight/

This thread has lots of details, along with plenty of speculation... In terms of price; 3 cameras means that it will almost certainly be higher than Skytrak. If say £1k more but much better than Skytrak, I would bite. More than that though, and I wouldn't.

The more you read, it sounds like a direct replacement for GC2 but potentially much cheaper.

www.hiltonpark.net
My local range closed down, so having a pretty big garden I'm thinking of setting up a net and launch monitor. I want something that I can hook up to a laptop and see shot shape. SkyTrak and Mevo+ are the main ones but is there any others I should be considering and is it worth waiting for Bushnell/Foresight?

sweaty sock

Hacker
Visit site
https://forums.golfwrx.com/topic/1825070-bushnell-launch-pro-device-with-foresight/

This thread has lots of details, along with plenty of speculation... In terms of price; 3 cameras means that it will almost certainly be higher than Skytrak. If say £1k more but much better than Skytrak, I would bite. More than that though, and I wouldn't.

The more you read, it sounds like a direct replacement for GC2 but potentially much cheaper.

The expensive thing with gc2 was the software though. The actual monitor was 'only' about 4k. Just went to 7k with anythinh useful and about 13k with head measurement tech...

Will be interesting to see how it pans out, but if its more than 2k, all that I think will happen is half arsed 'golf simulator' places will pop up on the high street and turn into half arsed fitting studios....

Really hope its <1000

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
So the question is if you’re using a range with a tracer, will the extra £600 be worth it
I don’t know of a tracer range near me, my father’s one has, but to be fair it’s quite creative. I personally don’t want something that gives great works of fiction, so I will keep watching. Our range uses a mixture of balls but they are full compression, so it’s okay to use something like the r10 or skytrack.. it’s just whether they are close in their data

howbow88

Hacker
Visit site
The expensive thing with gc2 was the software though. The actual monitor was 'only' about 4k. Just went to 7k with anythinh useful and about 13k with head measurement tech...

Will be interesting to see how it pans out, but if its more than 2k, all that I think will happen is half arsed 'golf simulator' places will pop up on the high street and turn into half arsed fitting studios....

Really hope its <1000
This unit appears to have clubface measurement included, so a bit like a mini GCQuad... Fair point about the potential for half arsed sim places.

MendieGK

Tour Winner
Visit site

Really hope its <1000
My local competitor has opened up with a skytrak and optishot ?

sweaty sock

Hacker
Visit site
Recieved my Approach R10, yesterday. First impressions are very good, accuracy definately not 100%. But I'm hitting into a net and spent all of 2 seconds setting it up.

Carry numbers seemed very accurate. And the ability to fairly reliably get start direction and club and face path was really informative, I think it'll make a big improvement to my ability to make swing changes while just hitting into a net...

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Recieved my Approach R10, yesterday. First impressions are very good, accuracy definately not 100%. But I'm hitting into a net and spent all of 2 seconds setting it up.

Carry numbers seemed very accurate. And the ability to fairly reliably get start direction and club and face path was really informative, I think it'll make a big improvement to my ability to make swing changes while just hitting into a net...
How far forward does the net have to be of the shot? Just wondering if I have to build a net with cage .. missus will have a right old tantrum

sweaty sock

Hacker
Visit site
Yeah, I would say i was pretty close to that limit actually.

Out of 50, Id say it completely misread 1, and a couple seemed end up closer the centre line tgan i thought, but for the vast majority of shots, it seemed to be close enough to trust.

I did try and trick it a few times with flop shots and punches etc, but it spat out what i expected to see?

Theres alot of chat about it being less accurate in a net, I would argue that people who think they know what the exact flight of there ball would be after hitting into a net are totally kidding themselves, so I will take it to the range course to see how it stacks up in the real world.

If nothing else, it was a great deal of fun, and definately accurate enough to have a good round of golf in the garden.

I doubt I'll be using it to compare drivers or setting up a custom fit business...

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
So a year down the line , how are people getting in with the r10’s?

Never seen the rapsodo so interested in reviews but the crunch question is are there any new movers and shakers in this category?

I had a lesson tonight and I’m convinced it was the mevo+ unit we were using as the main studio was in use, seeing the changes in ball speed and AoA really helped.

Time to invest but in which one?

A big plus point for me is one that measures AoA, as this has always been an area of weakness.

sweaty sock

Hacker
Visit site
I still use the R10 fairly regularly, software updates have improved it a touch, its still surprisingly good on club data like club head speed and angle of attack etc, ball flight is a bit hit and miss.

Serves my needs well.

Would also say the use i get out of it shows just how much money could be wasted, i probably use it once a week at most!

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Let assume you use it once a week for two years, the investment is £5 per week. Has the data improved your golf enough to say it warranted the £5 per week?
Remember this is Golf being discussed, so vfm is very low on the priority list.
Just consider how few Stealth (or any other new) drivers, Scotty Camerons, Pro V1s etc would be sold if vfm was higher up the consideration/selection criteria!