PC (Windows) Vs Mac

Fish

Banned
Visit site
Right, go gently, this isn’t my forte.

It may be an overreaction but with my bank card being hacked and stopped during the night, without any loss luckily, it has led me to address this now, so I’m looking to purchase tomorrow, so please cover all bases.

I’ve got my old PC in the house which I had in my previous business and is still running on XP. Now it’s got a huge capacity which I doubt I use to anywhere near it’s capabilities, but I’m confident that as it’s no longer supported or compatible to many other things in the house, I think the negatives now outweigh the positive, if there are any.

I think I would now prefer a laptop rather than a PC taking up a permanent spot in the house, so I’ve been reading all afternoon about Apple Macs.

As I use an iPhone and a iPad, I think it makes sense, especially with what I’ve read, to jump totally in bed with Apple, even though it will cost me more.

My main usage is my Logistics [courier] business which is mainly app driven and through my own website. Lots of emails (quotes), lots of invoices sent out through Wave which is also linked to Stripe which takes all my card payments for me.

So, what I don’t understand is when they use the term book?

I also can’t see or differentiate between a Mac Air, an iMac or the Mac Pro, which I like the sound of but has a £200 premium attached to it but looks like it has all the same amount of MB, GB, RAM and anything else on the list to all the others?

The one that’s took my eye, and don’t ask why because I don’t really know, is the 13” MacBook Pro, 8GB of RAM, 128 GB SSD.

It’s current price is £1146.00 which seems standard everywhere I’ve looked.

Would this comfortably replace my PC?

Is it ready to go out of the box or do I need the Microsoft Office 365 Home they want to push out with it to do stuff? (I’m only used to Windows other than stuff on my iPad)

So, over to you, play nicely ?

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
XP? Does it run on electricity or do you hook it up to a gas light?

I'm a freakin' Luddite and even I can barely remember XP!

I still keep an XP based comp as one of my machines because I have some kit and programmes that will not run on anything newer.

I recently saw a comment that our nuclear subs still need Windows 95

Dan2501

Tour Winner
Visit site
I've been a Mac user for the last 15+ years and would never go back to Windows. I think the only reason to want a Windows PC is if you're doing a lot of gaming personally. For me, I have consoles to do that and the only PC games I'm interested in either have console releases or are Mac compatible. With Mac I've noticed no slowdown at all in the OS in the 5+ years I've owned each Macbook I've had, especially in the last 2 models which have had SSDs. I've never had a virus, only had 1 major issue with any of my Macbooks and it was the notoriously dodgy keyboard fitted in the Pro model I have, but was fixed by Apple quickly and not had a problem since. They're fantastic.

Personally, I'd go for the new top-end Macbook Air if I was going to buy a Mac right now. Comparable specs to the Pro but cheaper. I'd also 100% add the Applecare on top, as mentioned above I had an issue with my Keyboard and it was fixed quickly and for free. They then did full diagnostics on my machine and noticed a small issue with my display that I hadn't noticed and so replaced that at the same time, fantastic service. My manager at work (I work in software development) is Head of Development and he uses the 2019 Macbook Air as his primary device for development and maintaining the many client platforms we run, it's easily powerful enough, runs super quick and looks great. For £1300 you're getting a laptop that's going to last you at least 5 years with no degradation in speed that will be capable of doing everything you need it to.

Fish

Banned
Visit site
I've been a Mac user for the last 15+ years and would never go back to Windows. I think the only reason to want a Windows PC is if you're doing a lot of gaming personally. For me, I have consoles to do that and the only PC games I'm interested in either have console releases or are Mac compatible. With Mac I've noticed no slowdown at all in the OS in the 5+ years I've owned each Macbook I've had, especially in the last 2 models which have had SSDs. I've never had a virus, only had 1 major issue with any of my Macbooks and it was the notoriously dodgy keyboard fitted in the Pro model I have, but was fixed by Apple quickly and not had a problem since. They're fantastic.

Personally, I'd go for the new top-end Macbook Air if I was going to buy a Mac right now. Comparable specs to the Pro but cheaper. I'd also 100% add the Applecare on top, as mentioned above I had an issue with my Keyboard and it was fixed quickly and for free. They then did full diagnostics on my machine and noticed a small issue with my display that I hadn't noticed and so replaced that at the same time, fantastic service. My manager at work (I work in software development) is Head of Development and he uses the 2019 Macbook Air as his primary device for development and maintaining the many client platforms we run, it's easily powerful enough, runs super quick and looks great. For £1300 you're getting a laptop that's going to last you at least 5 years with no degradation in speed that will be capable of doing everything you need it to.

MacBook Air With Retina Display (2019) 13.3in, 1.6GHz Dual-Core 8th Gen Intel® Core™ I5 Processor, 128Gb With Optional MS Office 365 Home - Space Grey
Apple MacBook Air With Retina Display (2019) 13.3in, 1.6GHz Dual-Core 8th Gen Intel® Core™ I5 Processor, 128Gb With Optional MS Office 365 Home - Space Grey £949.00

Get a free one-year Apple TV+ subscription when you buy this Apple device. One subscription per Family Sharing group. Offer good for 3 months after device activation. Offer must be claimed in the Apple TV app within 3 months after first setting up your new device. To see the offer appear, you will need to sign in with your Apple ID on your new device.

Lightness strikes again. The most loved Mac is about to make you fall in love all over again. Available in silver, space grey and gold, the new thinner and lighter MacBook Air features a brilliant Retina display with True Tone technology, Touch ID, the latest-generation keyboard and a Force Touch trackpad. The iconic wedge is created from 100 per cent recycled aluminium, making it the greenest Mac ever. And with all-day battery life, MacBook Air is your perfectly portable, do-it-all notebook.
  • Blue Tooth: Y
  • Depth: 212 MM
  • Display Size: 13.3in
  • Dongle Required: N
  • Graphics: Intel UHD Graphics 617 - Support for Thunderbolt 3–enabled external graphics processors (eGPUs)
  • Hard Drive Storage: 128 Gb
  • Height: 15 MM
  • Processor: 1.6GHz dual-core Intel Core i5, Turbo Boost up to 3.6GHz, with 4MB L3 cache
  • RAM Memory: 8 GB
  • Touch Screen: N
  • Width: 304 MM
  • Wifi Enabled: Y

• Any good?

Dan2501

Tour Winner
Visit site
I'm not a big specs guy so not 100% sure, but appears to be on-par with the current-gen models, so £949 is a very good price. Very nice laptop for that price I think, as long as the site is legit.

PhilTheFragger

Provider of Entertainment for the Golfing Gods 🙄
Visit site
Don’t be misled that an Apple PC will work like an iPad or IPhone .

It’s sort of like windows, but significantly different.

A windows laptop with a SSD hard drive will give you very similar performance for a chunk of dosh less.

Fish

Banned
Visit site
I'm not a big specs guy so not 100% sure, but appears to be on-par with the current-gen models, so £949 is a very good price. Very nice laptop for that price I think, as long as the site is legit.

it’s the same description and price in Curry’s, Very, Argos and a host of other places, looks like no body break ranks on price.

Going to pop over to the Apple Store in Solihull tomorrow for a chat and further advice, and hopefully have a play on a couple versions.

Fish

Banned
Visit site
Don’t be misled that an Apple PC will work like an iPad or IPhone .

It’s sort of like windows, but significantly different.

A windows laptop with a SSD hard drive will give you very similar performance for a chunk of dosh less.

I’m keen to move away from Windows for many of the reasons in the link I posted earlier, which I’ve suffered with myself.

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
Wife switched to mac and is totally sold. Everything just works and works well. Guess part of it is because apple only need to write software that works on their brand whereas windows needs to work with hundreds of different component manufacturers. What I will say is every Mac has lasted until she has wanted an upgrade, non of the slowdown and lag that she got over time on windows laptops

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Wife switched to mac and is totally sold. Everything just works and works well. Guess part of it is because apple only need to write software that works on their brand whereas windows needs to work with hundreds of different component manufacturers. What I will say is every Mac has lasted until she has wanted an upgrade, non of the slowdown and lag that she got over time on windows laptops

windows based machines can be like that too as long as you dont put a load of junk on them.

Have a desktop that I use for trading which is superquick still and a MS Surface which still functions as it did the day I bought it, even the cheap laptop that Carrie now uses still functions fine

mikseymono

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I bought a MacBook 12 years ago........upgraded the RAM and hard drive along the way.....recently got a MacBook Air....not huge capacity but most stuff is stored on the cloud or streamed now, so hard drive space is less of an issue........my Wife has had 4 PC's in the same amount of time...........go for it, you won't be disappointed!

M

PhilTheFragger

Provider of Entertainment for the Golfing Gods 🙄
Visit site
I’ll say it again any new windows machine with a SSD hard drive will match any apple pc in terms of speed, longevity and ease of use

Look at the specs , they have the same processors,

Yes go back 10 years and the Apple machines were superior, now there are few differences