PC (Windows) Vs Mac

Fish

Banned
Visit site
RAM is the overall memory, in both cases is 8Gb on those machines

The cache is (I think) the memory capability on the processor which affects how quickly the processor can use the memory

The price difference on those 2 is mainly for the difference in processors and partly size of hard drive that I can see

Are these comparable to the Apple Macs I was looking at, or are they more personal use and not business.

Robster59

Tour Rookie
www.eastrengolfclub.co.uk
I can understand people like Apple but to me it's far to restrictive a system, hence I prefer Android for my phone and Windows for my PC.
Microsoft stopped supporting XP years ago and will shortly be stopping it for Windows 7. I took up the upgrade to Windows 10 on my ancient HP PC (bought for £50 off ebay) and it works and is a decent OS.
If you get infected or hacked then you may need to check what security you have. And others in the know will be able to advise you better but even Apple's are prone to hacking.

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Compared to: MacBook Air With Retina Display (2019) 13.3in, 1.6GHz Dual-Core 8th Gen Intel® Core™ I5 Processor, 128Gb With Optional MS Office 365 Home - Space Grey
Apple MacBook Air With Retina Display (2019) 13.3in, 1.6GHz Dual-Core 8th Gen Intel® Core™ I5 Processor, 128Gb With Optional MS Office 365 Home - Space Grey £949.00

The cheaper one has the same processor, a 256Gb rather than 128Gb hard drive, same memory, a bigger screen

The dearer one has a higher spec processor, a 512Gb rather than 128Gb one, same memory, a bigger screen

So spec wise the HP ones look slightly better (though Id expect the Apple has a better screen), may be best to let Fragger confirm spec comparisons!

What software you need depends on what youre planning on doing on it (ie MS office is word processing, spreadsheets etc but there are free alternatives)

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
How about the large iPad Pro with the keyboard that is part of the cover. Best of both worlds. Sell the iPad Air to fund part of it. If you do a lot of docs, get the Apple Pencil - great bit of kit.

Fish

Banned
Visit site
How about the large iPad Pro with the keyboard that is part of the cover. Best of both worlds. Sell the iPad Air to fund part of it. If you do a lot of docs, get the Apple Pencil - great bit of kit.

Now you've thrown a bloody spanner in the works, I'd nearly been turned.....:oops:

Piece

Tour Winner
Visit site
I’ve been a Mac user since the 80s. There was clear light between the two but as Fragger says, the gap is minimal now. I don’t like the Mac tie-ins, such as Apple ID etc.

Fish

Banned
Visit site
I’ve found a Surface Go which looks similar in spec but £200 cheaper than this fella, which looks good.

Microsoft Surface Pro 7 i5 8GB 128GB & Type Cover

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
That's very condescending Steve.

I haven't made my mind up yet hence which is why I'll go to the Apple Store to learn a bit more about these Mac's today, otherwise I'd have pulled the trigger on one online yesterday.

This is what is highlighted in the write up within the link I placed on my thread early doors, it was this and the ability/speed to address issues quickly that got my attention, by doing updates and repairs both remotely and by visiting a store, for free!

I blame you Brian, you sold me your iPad, and in association with my iPhone they're the best 2 bits of kit I've ever owned or used.

I had a Windows based Dell laptop with my large Dell PC package which ran off an additional server when I had my other business, the laptop got infected in some way, became dead as a door nail, still have it I think somewhere but nobody could open it again to load new software, even Fragger couldn't help and was stumped, this was a bad experience and one I don't want again!

Thanks, I'll take a look.

XP is no longer supported, so I'm restricted in some things I want to do and open on my PC, it's also much slower at times (major pain) as it struggles to receive as good a signal than my iPad or iPhone's do, I've had this looked into and again the compatibility of a much older system (hardware) keeps getting highlighted.

Security is a major concern for me, I want to trust in a system that I'm using for my business and personal use, I don't think that my old hardware and running old outdated software is now filling me with confidence, so I need to address this now as my new business is growing quicker and faster than I envisaged.

So I've not been 'taken in by the hype', I'm actually seeing and experiencing differences between an older windows driven Dell PC (Vostro 220) which was linked to my own Dell server (Poweredge T100) and was all singing and dancing in its time, and ran a large business, and Apple devices first hand.

Not having my towers and PC taking up a corner of the living room and dining table would be nice, and obviously a laptop is portable, which would be good on my business and golf travels, but that's more of a bonus rather than a kicker.

I've looked into upgrading to a latest windows software and keeping my hardware but that won't remove some of the negative experiences I've encountered previously with Windows, nor will it address the speed which I need when I need to quickly respond to queries and quotes or take a payment over the phone, all of which I need the confidence of doing quickly.

At times when the PC goes into full slowdown halfway through a customer call, I have to quickly switch to my ipad, I don't think that will change if I just upgrade my software. Maybe my Dell hardware can be tickled also, I can research that this morning, but do I want to start throwing band-aids at half the cost or more at older hardware or start a fresh?

Was upgrading the hard drive and RAM costly, and did you find it necessary but worthwhile at the time.

Thanks for all the replies so far, I am leaning more towards an Apple, mainly because the confidence and non-issues I've experienced with my iPad & iPhone over the last few years which I use heavily on the road and at home daily.

I don't want to keep having to buy and upgrade software and I'm worried about the time it can take to address window based bugs.

I think my hardware has seen better days, I think it's around 13 years old now, I'm sure it can be upgraded to become more compatible, but I'm not convinced that could be the answer, or cost effective.....

So, if as some of you have advised, looking at a windows based laptop, what would it be, and why, taking into consideration this is for business and personal use, and how often do you need to upgrade software or invest in extra security and at what cost?

Hard drive was medium work to upgrade .. took a day to transfer the data and install the OS

However cost wise £50.. and that was to buy a 1tb hardrive for my PS4 which I took the 500gb hardrive out put in my Mac.. replacing it's 320gb hardrive which replaced my 120gb harddrive in my.ps3 (which I put in my bosses sons 8gb ps3 lol)

Ram cost £40 I think it was

10 mins work. Plug and play

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
128 gb is a tad small for a hard drive

I’d prefer 256 as a minimum.

I used to be exactly the same with hardrives

This Chromebook I got other day has 64gb, turns out for my useage now days it's ample

Don't have music or films in there

Most my files on my Google drive

Long as you have internet it's brilliant (which I just tether my phone if there is no WiFi)

Fish

Banned
Visit site
Found this. But think it’s just a big ipad of sorts ?

Surface Pro 6 – 256 GB/Intel Core i5/8 GB RAM (Platinum)

Display
12.3” PixelSense™ Display with 2736 x 1824 (267 PPI) resolution, 3:2 aspect ratio, and 10 point multi-touch.

Storage
128GB, 256GB, 512GB, or 1TB solid-state drive (SSD).5

Dimensions
11.5” x 7.9” x 0.33” (292 mm x 201 mm x 8.5 mm)

Connections
1 x USB 3.0, 3.5mm Headphone jack, microSDXC card reader, Mini DisplayPort, Surface Type Cover port,6 1 x Surface Connect port.

Tech specs
Dimensions 292 mm×201 mm×8.5 mm (11.5″×7.9”×0.33”)Storage5 Solid-state drive (SSD) options: 128 GB, 256 GB, 512 GB or 1 TBDisplay Screen: 12.3″ PixelSenseTM Display Resolution: 2736×1824 (267 PPI) Aspect ratio: 3:2 Touch: 10-point multi-touchBattery Life Up to 13.5 hours of local video playback1Memory 8 GB or 16 GB RAMGraphics Intel® UHD Graphics 620 (i5) Intel® UHD Graphics 620 (i7)Processor Surface Pro 6 i5-8250U i7-8650U Surface Pro 6 for Business i5-8350U i7-8650UConnections 1×full-size USB 3.0 3.5 mm headphone jack Mini DisplayPort 1×Surface Connect port Surface Type Cover port6 MicroSDXC card reader Compatible with Surface Dial*Security TPM 2.0 chip for enterprise security Enterprise-grade protection with Windows Hello face sign-inCameras, video and audio Windows Hello face authentication camera (front-facing)
5.0MP front-facing camera with 1080p Skype HD video
8.0MP rear-facing autofocus camera with 1080p full HD video
Dual microphones
1.6 W stereo speakers with Dolby® Audio™
Software Surface Pro 6 Windows 10 Home Microsoft Office 365 30-day trial Surface Pro 6 for Business Windows 10 Pro 1-month trial for new Microsoft Office 365 customersWireless WiFi: IEEE 802.11 a/b/g/n/ac compatible Bluetooth Wireless 4.1 technologySensors Ambient light sensor Accelerometer GyroscopeExterior Casing: Signature unibody magnesium design with hidden perimeter venting Colours: Platinum, Black3 Physical buttons: Volume, PowerWhat’s in the box Surface Pro 6 Power Supply Quick-Start Guide Safety and warranty documentsWarranty 1-year limited hardware warrantyWeight (not including Type Cover*) i5: 770 g (1.70 lb) i7: 784 g (1.73 lb)

£749.

HampshireHog

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Had a Surface Pro 3 for work for 3/4 years. Brilliant Laptop, fantastic for travel unusable as a tablet with the keyboard removed. I’d get a dock if you are planning on using with a monitor and keyboard.

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Found this. But think it’s just a big ipad of sorts ?

Surface Pro 6 – 256 GB/Intel Core i5/8 GB RAM (Platinum)

Display
12.3” PixelSense™ Display with 2736 x 1824 (267 PPI) resolution, 3:2 aspect ratio, and 10 point multi-touch.

Storage
128GB, 256GB, 512GB, or 1TB solid-state drive (SSD).5

Dimensions
11.5” x 7.9” x 0.33” (292 mm x 201 mm x 8.5 mm)

Connections
1 x USB 3.0, 3.5mm Headphone jack, microSDXC card reader, Mini DisplayPort, Surface Type Cover port,6 1 x Surface Connect port.

Tech specs
Dimensions 292 mm×201 mm×8.5 mm (11.5″×7.9”×0.33”)Storage5 Solid-state drive (SSD) options: 128 GB, 256 GB, 512 GB or 1 TBDisplay Screen: 12.3″ PixelSenseTM Display Resolution: 2736×1824 (267 PPI) Aspect ratio: 3:2 Touch: 10-point multi-touchBattery Life Up to 13.5 hours of local video playback1Memory 8 GB or 16 GB RAMGraphics Intel® UHD Graphics 620 (i5) Intel® UHD Graphics 620 (i7)Processor Surface Pro 6 i5-8250U i7-8650U Surface Pro 6 for Business i5-8350U i7-8650UConnections 1×full-size USB 3.0 3.5 mm headphone jack Mini DisplayPort 1×Surface Connect port Surface Type Cover port6 MicroSDXC card reader Compatible with Surface Dial*Security TPM 2.0 chip for enterprise security Enterprise-grade protection with Windows Hello face sign-inCameras, video and audio Windows Hello face authentication camera (front-facing)
5.0MP front-facing camera with 1080p Skype HD video
8.0MP rear-facing autofocus camera with 1080p full HD video
Dual microphones
1.6 W stereo speakers with Dolby® Audio™
Software Surface Pro 6 Windows 10 Home Microsoft Office 365 30-day trial Surface Pro 6 for Business Windows 10 Pro 1-month trial for new Microsoft Office 365 customersWireless WiFi: IEEE 802.11 a/b/g/n/ac compatible Bluetooth Wireless 4.1 technologySensors Ambient light sensor Accelerometer GyroscopeExterior Casing: Signature unibody magnesium design with hidden perimeter venting Colours: Platinum, Black3 Physical buttons: Volume, PowerWhat’s in the box Surface Pro 6 Power Supply Quick-Start Guide Safety and warranty documentsWarranty 1-year limited hardware warrantyWeight (not including Type Cover*) i5: 770 g (1.70 lb) i7: 784 g (1.73 lb)

£749.

thats it just without the detachable keyboard cover

the surface pro is a big tablet when you remove the cover, i find mine far more useable than HH did it seems though

Fish

Banned
Visit site
thats it just without the detachable keyboard cover

the surface pro is a big tablet when you remove the cover, i find mine far more useable than HH did it seems though

so you can get it with a keyboard?