Pay for Custom Fitting or not?

HughJars

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
I still am of the opinion that the biggest gains in fitting are in the woods, these clubs have the largest margins for errors and therefore a place for the largest gains.

For most people iron custom fitting gives marginal benefits of just going out and picking the same club off the shelf yourself. The difference will mostly come in the advice of which head to choose.

Like it has been said a lot before, the definition of custom fitting means things to different people. Some see it as just going on a trackman, others see it as a fitter choosing the head, loft/lie and shaft. Others like me think its just about the shaft, loft and lie, heads are something more personal.

It is good an iron fitting helped you Hugh but do you think you would have done much different if you had picked the same clubs off the shelf stock? Maybe for you and some it did make a difference. For most people it would make no difference at all, the stock iron shaft and head would do them just fine. Its all about WHICH head for them.

Drivers and woods I still believe going and getting a shaft fitting is essential, doesn't really matter what head as long as the shaft is good!
But choosing the right iron head is a fitting, in fact for irons it is the most important part of a fitting.

Could I have chosen a set off the shelf? Well yes, because I am standard length black dot, which is no surprise as I am 5'10" so should be an off the shelf guy. But without trying all the heads how am I to know that?

Some, like Mungo, seem to suggest they just pick randomly off the shelf, certainly despite weeks of asking, we're no nearer to finding out how he came to have his rather specific set-up.

Also, while you're correct, that getting the right shaft in woods is very important, just like in irons, the higher your handicap the less benefit you'll receive. Because basically all driver heads are much of a muchness, the shaft is the heart of the fit. I disagree entirely on fairway woods though, here the head, which varies greatly from manufacturer to manufacturer, is very important depending on what you are after.

HughJars

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Answer the question and stop talking bollocks yourself.Your shouting your mouth off and have nothing to back it up with except your oppinion.
Every single manufacturer is after a sale,if one company starts to sell more clubs by offering a custom fit option then others will follow there lead in order to compete for sales.

Next question.
Answer what question?

Simple question that you continue to avoid in all custom fitting posts, how have you come to have your very specfic kit in your bag?

HughJars

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
I still am of the opinion that the biggest gains in fitting are in the woods, these clubs have the largest margins for errors and therefore a place for the largest gains.

For most people iron custom fitting gives marginal benefits of just going out and picking the same club off the shelf yourself. The difference will mostly come in the advice of which head to choose.

Like it has been said a lot before, the definition of custom fitting means things to different people. Some see it as just going on a trackman, others see it as a fitter choosing the head, loft/lie and shaft. Others like me think its just about the shaft, loft and lie, heads are something more personal.

It is good an iron fitting helped you Hugh but do you think you would have done much different if you had picked the same clubs off the shelf stock? Maybe for you and some it did make a difference. For most people it would make no difference at all, the stock iron shaft and head would do them just fine. Its all about WHICH head for them.

Drivers and woods I still believe going and getting a shaft fitting is essential, doesn't really matter what head as long as the shaft is good!
As it happens, I am 5'10", and swing pretty much on plane, so I'm standard regular shafts, and black dot, so I could have picked right off the shelf, of course without a CF, how would I know which heads were best for me, or that the CFS is a superb shaft?

Yes as you point out, the shaft is key in drivers, whereas in irons the head is much more important, but again, the lower you go the more important it becomes, for a 28 'capper, we're just wanting a club they hit well with the right flex, you can't do a full fit as such because there's so little to work with.

And while this partly goes for fairways too, the head there is very important as unlike driver design, they vary greatly from model to model.

upsidedown

Tour Winner
Visit site
Never paid directly for a CF but both my driver and irons are CF'd for me.

Went along to a TM demo day at our club and had 30 mins with the trackman and various drivers , shafts etc and settled on the R9 supertri. Didn't buy there and then but 3 months later through the pro when i could afford it.
Similar with the irons, fancied the Razr's but unsure of shaft specs so again 30 mins with the guys and sorted, stiff, two layers of tape under the grips. Ordered the next day and love them :whoo:

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
Well I get my chance to give my comments on the whole driver/custom fitting debate tomorrow. Not paying for my fitting but I have an appointment with a person I trust. Thing is I am happy with the accuracy that I am getting with my current driver but I am not getting the distance so I am purely going to see if he can put together something better but I will not take extra distance if I am spraying it all over the shop.

I will post my results when I get back.

kev_off_the_tee

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I'd love to get fitted for my woods but sadly they are soooooo much more expensive than I want to pay as they offer only new models and I can only afford older models by buying second hand

If I did ever come into money then I'd get 100% fitted for new shines but until then ill make do with being ordinary ;)