Pay for Custom Fitting or not?

rikkitikk

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Just wondering what people's opinions are about paying or not for a custom fitting session as need to get a new driver and was wondering if I pay for a session am I likely not to get the hard sell compared to the free session where an item with the most 'commission' is going to be pushed my way……

Back in November 09, I was originally fitted (paying £20 for the fitting refunded off purchase) where my driver swing speed was recorded at 74mph. Now in February this year, I had a free fitting where my 6 iron swing speed was recorded using trackman at 76mph. Glad to see I have 'improved' over the years so now I feel it is time to move on from my current driver (Benross Innovator X with Aldila DVS regular shaft) which suited my swing 3 years ago but not now I think.

Thank you.

Captainron

Big Hitting, South African Sweary Person
Visit site
Most places will charge for a custom fit but will waive the fee should you purchase something.

You could also try a shop attached to a range and test some of the clubs on offer. once you have narrowed it down to a couple then get on the launch monitor and see which numbers stack up best. Then go and hit that club some more on the range before you buy.

If you want to be a sneaky mofo, then write the specs of the best suited club down and hit fleabay/here/snainton etc to get the best deal (assuming the cost was less than the fitting)

Last edited:

Hacker Khan

Yurt Dwelling, Yoghurt Knitter
Visit site
I got fitted at The Belfrey. Think it cost £50 but I got that off the price of the clubs I bought. As I was going to buy a new set of clubs and done a bit of homework by checking that their prices were comparable, it worked out well. Superb range to choose from (I am a lefty so I needed somewhere good) and the advice they gave seemed to me to be based on the results from the fitting, and not what they wanted to push. Indeed they did steer me away from the more expensive sets of clubs.

But then again I appreciate that 50 notes is very expensive if you don't buy something from them.

Last edited:

pbrown7582

Money List Winner
Visit site
Most places will charge for a custom fit but will waive the fee should you purchase something.

You could also try a shop attached to a range and test some of the clubs on offer. once you have narrowed it down to a couple then get on the launch monitor and see which numbers stack up best. Then go and hit that club some more on the range before you buy.

If you want to be a sneaky mofo, then write the specs of the best suited club down and hit fleabay/here/snainton etc to get the best deal (assuming the cost was less than the fitting)

This ^^^^ it seems fair to me to pay for a skilled fitters time and also time on a launch monitor.

Twire

Global Moderator
Visit site
I'll be booking in for a custom fit later this month. The misses is buying me new irons for xmas and insists I get custom fitted, who am I to argue.

Phoned Clifton Hill to see if they have the Mizzy 825's and enquire about the custom fitting. Yep and Yep, the fittings done with trackman and Mark Crossfield. 1/2 hour for £25 but I might go for an hour and check out some drivers.

£25 - £50 is a small price to pay to make sure you have the right shafts, lie, loft etc.

Bratty

Princess Pouty (Queen of Fish Lips)
Visit site
I tried a driver out on a shortish range, and it was pretty good (but was having to hold back). Bought it and then couldn't hit it for toffee on the course for 10 months. Went to a Titleist fitter and tried a load of shafts, before discovering the 61 gram regular shaft really ought to have been a 73 gram stiff shaft! Paid for the shaft, plus £15 for the fitting time, and it's been well worth it.

Next time I buy a driver, I'm definitely getting custom fit - well worth the money.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
It's not unreasonable to charge for a Custom Fit as long as it gets deducted from the cost of clubs purchased.
The cost is to try and stop people getting the numbers and then buying cheaper off the Interwebbythingamajig

Charging and not deducting is a bit mean.......

Visit site
I did this recently and decided to go too on this occasion , an independant fitter for unbiased advise , having used T/M twice and Direct golf once .Unfortunately i made an error in judgement with the independant fitter i chose ,.Yes fitting is the correct thing to do , but the hard part is finding a genuine fitter with honest impartial advice .

HughJars

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Just wondering what people's opinions are about paying or not for a custom fitting session as need to get a new driver and was wondering if I pay for a session am I likely not to get the hard sell compared to the free session where an item with the most 'commission' is going to be pushed my way……
Why would the item with the most commission be pushed your way?

You're assuming that the sales people are on a personal commssion based on every sale.

Last edited:

LanDog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
You are paying for someone's services yes. However I work in a clothing outlet. Customers ask for my advice on clothes. I offer them my advice (free of charge obviously). I believe a decent fella will not charge you if you're gonna be spending 100s on equipment anyway

Andy808

Tour Winner
Visit site
If I have the money for a brand new set of shineys (better have the wife put down to give myself a fighting chance) then I would quite happily pay £20 or £30 to have them fitted properly.

ScienceBoy

Money List Winner
Visit site
Yes I would pay for the service, nothing much past £50 and I would expect a good treatment and a wide range.

Shopping around for a good custom fit service is a good idea, talk to or even visit the places offering the service and see what you get for your money.

Somewhere that takes it off the final purchase price most likely will not give as comprehensive service as a dedicated session at a small cost.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
You are paying for someone's services yes. However I work in a clothing outlet. Customers ask for my advice on clothes. I offer them my advice (free of charge obviously). I believe a decent fella will not charge you if you're gonna be spending 100s on equipment anyway

But what if he spends an hour going through the fitting, you note down the numbers, say you'll think about it and then buy those specs online for less.....
He has to charge you for his time. If you buy from him then he'll almost certainly deduct the cost from the bill. Otherwise he's spent money and got nothing back. Giving advice on clothes is a little different......
I give a free hour Driving Lesson to a complete beginner as a taster - it takes 45 minutes to get to starting the engine so it doesn't cost me much. But a free hour, driving around using fuel, depreciating the car - for possibly no more? Same meat, different gravy.

seochris

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
If you pay for it then the info is yours.....no obligation to purchase. Getting the right fitter is key.....I have cut my handicap by 2 shots since being fitted in June and the purchase of my i20s. I received a trackman printout with all the various shafts and launch conditions which i could look at at my leisure until i decided. I was amazed at how much information there was. I was there for over 2 hours and so a significant amount of time.....which needs to be paid for.

ScienceBoy

Money List Winner
Visit site
If you pay for it then the info is yours.....no obligation to purchase. Getting the right fitter is key.....I have cut my handicap by 2 shots since being fitted in June and the purchase of my i20s. I received a trackman printout with all the various shafts and launch conditions which i could look at at my leisure until i decided. I was amazed at how much information there was. I was there for over 2 hours and so a significant amount of time.....which needs to be paid for.

Think of all the fun you have too! Its not just paying for some guy to "umm" and "err" while you hit a handfull of balls.

Pay your money, enjoy the experience, love the results!

HughJars

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Have heard some stories on this forum and others that people have been equipment that they were not interested in.
So you're not capable of seeing for yourself that a certain club is paying better and feels better to you? You're also talking about one particular set of chain stores, don't think anyone else pushes incentive led sales, and not sre even tha company does for custom fit do they?