Paul Casey

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Presumably that is the tournament organisers who hand that out to his caddy. It is a bit of a target on your back. I can't believe anyone, with the odd exception, would actually ask for that. You have to imagine Casey would be a bit embarrassed by it.

All caddies were asked for nicknames for a bit of fun.

Casey will lap up the x2 champ

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
All caddies were asked for nicknames for a bit of fun.

Casey will lap up the x2 champ
I only watched bits of the tournament so was not aware of that. That makes it really bold then. Tiger could get away with that, Phil perhaps, Casey, mmmmmmmmmmm. Even for fun you are putting yourself up to be mocked. Incidentally, I have no issue with Casey and it is great to see a Brit winning.

Visit site
I am a bit of a Casey fan, so I was pleased for him. Looked a bloomin' tough course to me.
Isn't it strange how we have favourites.....and those we don't much care for?
For me I don't warm to Rory......but who can doubt those amazing skills? And that goes for all the players on ANY of the Tours. If you stood alongside any one of them on the first tee at your own course, you would not believe that anyone could strike a ball as they do.

User20204

Visit site
What hole will he loose his lead tonight? I'm going for the 6th as Casey struggles to close a door these days never mind close out a tournament.

Apparently he closed out the tournament under a fair bit of pressure last night, makes your comment above look very silly indeed.

TheJezster

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I only watched bits of the tournament so was not aware of that. That makes it really bold then. Tiger could get away with that, Phil perhaps, Casey, mmmmmmmmmmm. Even for fun you are putting yourself up to be mocked. Incidentally, I have no issue with Casey and it is great to see a Brit winning.
I think it's great, and Casey absolutely CAN get away with it, in fact, he won again, so not so bold at all really...

D

Deleted member 15344

I’m not a fan of Casey - for me he was always seemed a bit more of a Yank than a Brit , then he turned his back on the Ryder Cup because he didn’t get picked BUT last year in the RC he seemed a lot more “cocky” and you can only applaud that bunker shot on the last to win - he got a lot of stick about not being able to close out so last night would have been satisfying for him

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
Fair play to Casey.

Didn't think he would actually win, although given that DJ has plenty of previous for 'not getting it done' - he was probably the best option out of 'top players' that Casey could have been paired with.

Ultimately he beat the competition and did so from the 54 hole lead. For some people, this is just an uncomfortable place and they'd rather be chasing and post a score without knowing it is definitely for the win.

Other dynamic in golf is that for a LOT of the top players, winning makes almost no difference to them, unless it's a major. They are still going to win hundreds of thousands of dollars, have complete financial security and can travel 1st class and stay at the top hotels every week. Casey was certainly one of these guys who was quite happy playing well and didn't really feel a need to take on too much in the way of risk on a Sunday, knowing that a nice collection of top 5s and top 10s would see him accumulate another few millions, as some guys would throw shots away.

Perhaps as he has gotten older, he has realised there is more to life than money and wants a bit more thrill in the chase.

Sports_Fanatic

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Fair play to Casey.

Didn't think he would actually win, although given that DJ has plenty of previous for 'not getting it done' - he was probably the best option out of 'top players' that Casey could have been paired with.

Ultimately he beat the competition and did so from the 54 hole lead. For some people, this is just an uncomfortable place and they'd rather be chasing and post a score without knowing it is definitely for the win.

Other dynamic in golf is that for a LOT of the top players, winning makes almost no difference to them, unless it's a major. They are still going to win hundreds of thousands of dollars, have complete financial security and can travel 1st class and stay at the top hotels every week. Casey was certainly one of these guys who was quite happy playing well and didn't really feel a need to take on too much in the way of risk on a Sunday, knowing that a nice collection of top 5s and top 10s would see him accumulate another few millions, as some guys would throw shots away.

Perhaps as he has gotten older, he has realised there is more to life than money and wants a bit more thrill in the chase.

I think it's the other way round, players at the top aren't impacted by placing as their bank balance is always going to be fine, so I think they have the luxury of going for some shots that those protecting their living can't. Fleetwood at Sawgrass for example. I think this week was just a difficult back nine so it was all about utilising the par 5s then clawing yourself over the line.

Rlburnside

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Really enjoyed this tournament mainly because the course presented a real challenge unlike some of the other courses they play on.

I like Casey so was glad to see him win, think he was the longest driver for the tournament, that’s impressive at the age of 40 and with some big hitters in the field.

Was good to see Luke Donald back playing well after being out so long with a bad back.

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
I think it's the other way round, players at the top aren't impacted by placing as their bank balance is always going to be fine, so I think they have the luxury of going for some shots that those protecting their living can't. Fleetwood at Sawgrass for example. I think this week was just a difficult back nine so it was all about utilising the par 5s then clawing yourself over the line.

There are some that adopt that approach, the guys who have the x-factor, but I wouldn't say that's the majority. There's an awful lot of guys who you might describe as 'journeyman pros' who are quite happy making cuts and staying in the top 115 / 125 in the money list to retain their status. They are still millionaires but are happy not having the pressure of leading or trying to win.

In my view, Casey didn't have that x-factor, and I remember him specifically saying after a top 5 that he get's into this 'there's always next week' mentality. As if he was just accepting that he wouldn't win rather than realising he could go out and influence it. Yesterday was certainly a good sign that his mentality has perhaps changed.

D

Deleted member 1147

...Other dynamic in golf is that for a LOT of the top players, winning makes almost no difference to them, unless it's a major...
🤣🤣🤣🤣😂😂😂

Winning is all that matters to the top players!

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
🤣🤣🤣🤣😂😂😂

Winning is all that matters to the top players!

In your view.

Casey has certainly been a top player, but I've seen both he and Garcia look notably more comfortable without the lead, than with it. And even as if a weight was lifted off their shoulders when they went from 1st to T2.

Certainly Garcia has improved this, and probably Casey as well after the last 12 months he'd had.