Patrick Read’s caddie

Philbyk1

Visit site
Have seen very rigid ones though.
That taper at the bottom .
They don’t bend at all, and weigh a ton.
Yes these are tournament ones that are a little more javelin shaped, thicker in the middle for visibility, as you say weigh a tonne and would serve well in my example.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Yes these are tournament ones that are a little more javelin shaped, thicker in the middle for visibility, as you say weigh a tonne and would serve well in my example.
Mainly seen them in the USA.
They are the same width as the end that goes in the hole.
That’s why they have the tapered bottom 12” or so.
Very interesting theory ,might give it a go tomorrow weather permitting.
But dosnt look good on forecast.

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
Thanks I have no idea why he does it. My thoughts were around helping with the first part of aim point access the slope at the ball position not the full process.

The first thing you're told on an Aimpoint course is to ignore any visual indicators of slope etc

Swango1980

Visit site
Mainly seen them in the USA.
They are the same width as the end that goes in the hole.
That’s why they have the tapered bottom 12” or so.
Very interesting theory ,might give it a go tomorrow weather permitting.
But dosnt look good on forecast.
Pretty sure you will be breaching Covid guidelines. Somebody might grass you in if they think you'll get the club shut down ;)

D

Deleted member 18588

Am I missing something here?

No TV commentator has spotted anything.
No fellow competitor has made any comment.
Most importantly no tournament referee or official has spotted any breach of the rules.

But somebody on a golf forum thinks he knows better and that the rules are being broken.

Honestly??

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
What I said was that it isn't anything to do with Aimpoint. The first part of the lesson is to ignore any visual signs of slope as course designers put in various designs to fool the eye. The first thing us to stand and feel in your feet any pressure more on one foot or the other, after that everything is about how you do the decision making of the slope, speed and the Aimpoint

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

Most importantly no tournament referee or official has spotted any breach of the rules.

But somebody on a golf forum thinks he knows better and that the rules are being broken.

Honestly??
Experts though can we trust them?;)

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
What I said was that it isn't anything to do with Aimpoint. The first part of the lesson is to ignore any visual signs of slope as course designers put in various designs to fool the eye. The first thing us to stand and feel in your feet any pressure more on one foot or the other, after that everything is about how you do the decision making of the slope, speed and the Aimpoint
Genuine question.
I havnt used Aimpoint.
“ Does the cushioning in modern shoes let you feel a slight gradient in a green”?
Or is it more your balance ?

Philbyk1

Visit site

Honestly??

Philbyk1

Visit site
It happens all the time viewers noticing a possible rules infringement. Ask Tiger Woods dropping his ball in the wrong point at the masters, or Dustin Johnson at the US Open or Lexi Thompson being penalised 4 shots and losing a tournament. Shall
I continue...
Honestly these viewers ?

Philbyk1

Visit site

Swango1980

Visit site
It happens all the time viewers noticing a possible rules infringement. Ask Tiger Woods dropping his ball in the wrong point at the masters, or Dustin Johnson at the US Open or Lexi Thompson being penalised 4 shots and losing a tournament. Shall
I continue...
Honestly these viewers ?
To be fair, these are isolated incidents. They can be missed by fellow competitors, referees or even the players themselves at the time. In Reed's case, you are saying his caddy does this EVERY time. If there was a rules infringement, somebody would have noticed by now (i.e the referees)

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I cant believe with all the attention Reed gets when playing that if it were thought that he,or his caddy, were in any way infringing rules then it would be all over the media. Also, as I said earlier, I've done Aimpoint with Jamie Donaldson and in no way is it similar to what you say Reeds caddy does and I cant see any benefit being derived from it at the level that the top players play ie he simply would not need to do it as he is a fantastic green reader and putter.

I'd just add too that I've had at least as much of a problem with single figure golfers not knowing the rules as I have had with high handicappers - the difference being that the low handicappers are usually more adamant about being right

I'm with you and having also done the Aimpoint course with Jamie Donaldson and it bears no resemblance to how to read the green. Can't see what bearing it would have on a putt compared to Aimpoint and had there been any doubts to what the caddy is doing in terms of the rules then someone somewhere would have questioned it by now

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
Genuine question.
I havnt used Aimpoint.
“ Does the cushioning in modern shoes let you feel a slight gradient in a green”?
Or is it more your balance ?

Basically you stand upright behind the ball and try to determine whether you have more weight on one side or other measured by your feet. After that everything depends on length of putt and other matters all leading to a number of fingers break from the cup for the Aimpoint. I'm sure you've seen it but if not theres plenty of Utube videos out there