Par 6

rosecott

Money List Winner
Visit site
Can't really see how it's a par 6 at 666 yards.
You don't have to be a monster to hit 250, 230 and 180, seems fairly similar to a 430 yards par 4 in proportion.

CONGU allows Par 5s to go up to 720 yards and Par 6s to start at 660 yards. Obviously length alone is not the only factor and all the other factors will be considered. A straight line 666 should be no problem for a competent big hitter but throw in doglegs, water hazards etc. and the length becomes less relevant.

MendieGK

Tour Winner
Visit site
CONGU allows Par 5s to go up to 720 yards and Par 6s to start at 660 yards. Obviously length alone is not the only factor and all the other factors will be considered. A straight line 666 should be no problem for a competent big hitter but throw in doglegs, water hazards etc. and the length becomes less relevant.

It was actually quite a good hole before. Theyve clearly done it as a marketing ploy

IanG

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Met one on a municipal course in Edinburgh during my introduction week many decades ago...Don't know if it's still there?

The 18th at Silverknowes might be the one you're thinking of, 601 yards off the medal tees but is currently listed as a par 5. Certainly felt like a par 6 when I played it years ago.

D

Deleted Member 1156

I was a member at Hamptworth for 3 years from when it opened in the early 90's. Nothing special TBH although it is in a lovely peaceful setting. The 16th was one of the better holes, decent par 5 from the top of the hill down to the green between the two huge oak trees. The first 300 yards were just a flat open bit of field. Sounds like the first 450 yards are now just a flat open bit of field.

I played a par 6 in Myrtle beach that is over 750 yards. Driver, 3w, 3w got me greenside followed by a chip and 2 putts for par. Tee off in South Carolina and putt out in North Carolina.

TheRead

Visit site
My Course, Dewstow GC, Near Chepstow used to have a par 6 on the Park Course. it was a 699 yard monster and was permanently in play. :)

unfortunately the course was closed in March :-(

ab1v

Medal Winner
Visit site
Played it last month, it's been in effect since the summer. Basically a society gimmick. I agree with drive4show, it's basically a field for the most part of that hole. The shot into he green is the best looking bit. Heard that the course has been struggling lately with members leaving at the last renewal. Hope the gimmick works for them. I'd hate another course closing.

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
Our longest is a par five 580yarder which I have managed to par. The guy who holds our course record did it in TWO.
I am lucky if I see the pin in two.

Loz1607

Assistant Pro
Visit site
There are a few gimmick holes at Hamptworth to be honest. A couple of them with stupid tee shots that you need to move the ball in the air both ways. Some really good holes in there too including the 220 yard par 3 over water, stroke index 1 is a tight drive followed by a long second.

Not my favourite course though and not in a rush to go back