Par 6

Piece

Tour Winner
Visit site
Saw a ditty on the box this morning about a par 6 that's just come into play at Hamptworth Golf Club, in the New Forest. You get a certificate for net birdies or above. :)

Anyone played it?

Would you like your course to introduce a par 6?

dewsweeper

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Saw a ditty inn the box this morning about a par 6 that's just come into play at Hamptworth Golf Club, in the New Forest. You get a certificate for net birdies or above. :)

Anyone played it?

Would you like your course to introduce a par 6?

We already have 4 par sixes on our course and 4 par sevens!
At least they are to me now I am in my dotage.
Dewsweeper

srixon 1

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
There used to be one at Dewstow that I played once, and managed a bogey. That hole has gone now along with the course.

Was just a slog and not something I would want to play every round.

rksquire

Head Pro
Visit site
Used to be a par 6 at Bright Castle - 735 yards, but they had to reduce it to a modest 615 yard par 5 for handicap / rules compliance issues. Nobody reaching that (735) in 2 - especially as the tee shot played uphill.

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
Met one on a municipal course in Edinburgh during my introduction week many decades ago...Don't know if it's still there?

Length and par are there least relevant aspects of what makes a good golf hole in my opinion.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
My mates club - The Players Club outside Bristol can set up a Championship course of 7716yds

par 75, counting the 8th Hole a par 6 which measuring 727 yards was the 13th longest hole in the world.

MendieGK

Tour Winner
Visit site
Bit harder.

Driver, 9i........

Its only played off that tee once a year. I hit 3 wood, 3wood, 5iron this year.

When we play the championship course (once a month), its normally about 650yds. Apparently (blow my own trumpet time) i'm one of very few to have knocked it on in two. Driver 3wood to 15ft - 3putts!!! well done Sam!

DCB

Visit site
Used to be a par 6 at Bright Castle - 735 yards, but they had to reduce it to a modest 615 yard par 5 for handicap / rules compliance issues. Nobody reaching that (735) in 2 - especially as the tee shot played uphill.

Played there a few years back and stood on the back tee on that hole looking at the tree lined uphill tee shot and just laughed.

Norrin Radd

Tour Winner
Visit site
666yds is indeed a beast,but, i would much rather play a risk and reward par four of about 325yds ,with a tricky green and defences all round .much more interesting than boom with the driver boom with a three wood boom with another three wood and five iron just to reach .

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Think they should feature on the pro circuit more often. instead of gimmy birdies on drive mid iron par 5's. I enjoy watching the pros have to reach for the timber with varying results.

ScienceBoy

Money List Winner
Visit site
666yds is indeed a beast,but, i would much rather play a risk and reward par four of about 325yds ,with a tricky green and defences all round .much more interesting than boom with the driver boom with a three wood boom with another three wood and five iron just to reach .

Same here, would rather play 4500-6000 yard courses with tight challenging holes than long courses defended mostly by length.

Three

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Can't really see how it's a par 6 at 666 yards.
You don't have to be a monster to hit 250, 230 and 180, seems fairly similar to a 430 yards par 4 in proportion.