Orka

tigerwes

Hacker
Visit site
I don’t know why he would recommend making the lofts strong then? The fact they’re built at 36 gives us so much more to male stronger without being Stupid. Almost every customer I fit I end up making them either 33 or 34 because in all seriousness that’s industry standard for a ‘players’ club nowadays

He did say that the lofts could be made stronger by a couple of degree which would maybe get the club back distance wise. But thats a maybe and I wouldnt know until the clubs are built, also im then getting fit for a certain head and shaft which gives me x spin rate, peak height, launch etc. For the club to be changed, which would surely change all these numbers... And to be fair to him i was swinging like a bag of "crap", if i didnt have the Scotsdale fitting booked for wednesday I would have liked to go back and try them again but havent had chance.

In your opinion Mendie on average what would you get distance wise from a 2/3 degree on a 7iron?

MrC

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I've had my RS10s a couple of years now and love them. Also have a hybrid.

Tried the driver last year but wasn't swinging that great and tbh, there's not a lot out there that I hit better than my Benross.

Absolutely worthwhile going for a fitting and there's zero pressure to buy.

Perfect thank you

MendieGK

Tour Winner
Visit site
Weaken the loft by 3 adds 3 to the bounce which may or may not make a difference to how well you hit them.
Strengthening lofts takes away bounce.
It also adds a bit of offset.
Almost 0 difference.
He did say that the lofts could be made stronger by a couple of degree which would maybe get the club back distance wise. But thats a maybe and I wouldnt know until the clubs are built, also im then getting fit for a certain head and shaft which gives me x spin rate, peak height, launch etc. For the club to be changed, which would surely change all these numbers... And to be fair to him i was swinging like a bag of "crap", if i didnt have the Scotsdale fitting booked for wednesday I would have liked to go back and try them again but havent had chance.

In your opinion Mendie on average what would you get distance wise from a 2/3 degree on a 7iron?
you usually see roughly around 250rpm change per degree. Id expect you to gain roughly 3 yards per degree... but obviously everyone is different
when I got people I’ll bend the club to the correct loft for them during the fitting to ensure it’s correct though

tigerwes

Hacker
Visit site
Managed to get to the range again to try the Orca's as James the fitter had left a club set up for me to try when I wanted.

Swinging a lot better even though I've just finished nights and haven't slept for about 30hours!. Clubs felt very nice and consistent. James the fitter wasn't available so will hopefully try them again on Wednesday, the trip to Scottsdale's has been cancelled for now. Really hoping I can get these to work.

My only issue at the moment is the stats were perfect for spin, launch, height etc. Once I take 2/3 degree off how much would it affect it and maybe another shaft would be needed to get them back to what they were.

tigerwes

Hacker
Visit site
I would really like the Orka's to work out. British company, damn good looking clubs, cheaper then the big boys.

I currently have 4-gw in my Cobra S2s. Seems the the big manufacturers sell 5-pw as standard and it was looking at £1200ish, then needing to get a gw and 4i replacement so taking it to £1500ish.

Wabinez

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
My fear of strengthening the lofts by 2/3° is the then loss of bounce. You then don’t really get any margin for error if you catch it a bit fat. The leading edge will just dig, and dig hard.

Wabinez

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I'm a bit confused by all this talk about making the lofts stronger.
Why? Who cares what number is stamped on the club?
My Orka 7 iron is probably the same loft as someone else's Taylormade 8 iron.
All you need is to know how far it goes.

I agree.

i’m still nervous about my Orkas turning up, but I trust the numbers on the launch monitor which showed the improvement

tigerwes

Hacker
Visit site

Though I agree with you in part, in reality to be stood over the ball with a 7 iron gives me more confidence over the shot than if It was a 6 iron. It's just a mental thing.

MrC

Assistant Pro
Visit site

This is it for me….I want to know how far it goes and how straight it goes and how consistently I achieve this

I don’t care what the bottom of the club says

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
This is it for me….I want to know how far it goes and how straight it goes and how consistently I achieve this

I don’t care what the bottom of the club says

This is true, but don't you think it would be nice if there were some sort of standard that manufacturers could agree on?

Then when someone says, "I hit a 7 iron" you'd have a rough idea of what club they hit rather than just some random number? ;)

MrC

Assistant Pro
Visit site
This is true, but don't you think it would be nice if there were some sort of standard that manufacturers could agree on?

Then when someone says, "I hit a 7 iron" you'd have a rough idea of what club they hit rather than just some random number? ;)

I definitely agree. It would make it easier for everyone. Plus you wouldn’t have to explain to a newbie about different gap wedges etc. and the need to have consistency in your gaps

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site

There are so many variables other than the loft of an iron. Why would you want to know what club another person hits?

cliveb

Head Pro
Visit site

Why not mark irons with the loft rather than a meaningless number? A lot of wedges are done that way.
Mind you, since the tolerance of lofts on irons is so poor, that could embarrass some manufacturers. (I had a 54° Vokey which turned out to be 55.5° - the Orka builder corrected it for free when he was setting the lie angles on the irons he made for me).

Incidentally, I believe Lee Westwood writes yardages on his irons with a Sharpie.

tigerwes

Hacker
Visit site
When people talk about resale value I'm not sure it's as big an issue as you might think.

If you buy a set of TMP770 at a proper fitting place you will pay around £1100ish. Sell them a year later for as around £500. You've lost £600. You wouldn't lose that much on your Orka's unless you gave them away.

Parsaregood

Head Pro
Visit site
I’d definitely shop about wouldn’t be intent on going with Orka unless they performed better and you are ok with the clubs being worth very little almost nothing in fact in a couple of years.
I’ve hit some of the orka stuff, the irons are ok, decent looking but no better than anything else out there despite what you might hear from them about them being built to tight tolerances.
Any club can be built to as tight a tolerance as you want and if you buy clubs through a pro you can get them to check loft and lie angles & swingweight on arrival, infact if they fitted you they probably would as a matter of course.
I’d stick to the bigger brands best bang for your buck overall

Reactions: MrC

MrC

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I’d definitely shop about wouldn’t be intent on going with Orka unless they performed better and you are ok with the clubs being worth very little almost nothing in fact in a couple of years.
I’ve hit some of the orka stuff, the irons are ok, decent looking but no better than anything else out there despite what you might hear from them about them being built to tight tolerances.
Any club can be built to as tight a tolerance as you want and if you buy clubs through a pro you can get them to check loft and lie angles & swingweight on arrival, infact if they fitted you they probably would as a matter of course.
I’d stick to the bigger brands best bang for your buck overall

Interesting - this challenges the view of some.

Does anyone know why Okra have such a low resale value?