Ordering Post-Round Food/Drinks before you finish

Aztecs27

Money List Winner
Visit site
People, I've had an idea at work, but wondering how much of a demand there would be for it.. Get to the 8th Tee/17th Tee and have a QR Code to scan with your phone, which takes you to a menu to enable you to order drinks/food, ready for you when you get to the halfway hut/clubhouse.

Is this something people would be interested in - or is it fairly stress free to order when you're back in the clubhouse and really not something you'd bother doing?

Bratty

Princess Pouty (Queen of Fish Lips)
Visit site
It's usually pretty easy at my place. We've got a sign up approaching the 9th tee saying to call if you want to preorder, but I've never seen anyone do so.
It's a good idea, and there may well be courses that it would work on.
That said, will people behind get pissed off as I amble up the 8th fairway, eyes glued to phone trying to order food and drink? ?

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
People, I've had an idea at work, but wondering how much of a demand there would be for it.. Get to the 8th Tee/17th Tee and have a QR Code to scan with your phone, which takes you to a menu to enable you to order drinks/food, ready for you when you get to the halfway hut/clubhouse.

Is this something people would be interested in - or is it fairly stress free to order when you're back in the clubhouse and really not something you'd bother doing?

Have seen it before with phone boxes on the later tees etc and they have all closed after the novelty wears off. Cause hold ups as people discuss what they want and then you have the problem with the kitchen knowing how long you will be if you have ordered hot food. A queue at the computer to log scores, a slow couple of holes or just wanting a shower could mean the food is stone cold before you get there.

Aztecs27

Money List Winner
Visit site
It's usually pretty easy at my place. We've got a sign up approaching the 9th tee saying to call if you want to preorder, but I've never seen anyone do so.
It's a good idea, and there may well be courses that it would work on.
That said, will people behind get pissed off as I amble up the 8th fairway, eyes glued to phone trying to order food and drink? ?

Have seen it before with phone boxes on the later tees etc and they have all closed after the novelty wears off. Cause hold ups as people discuss what they want and then you have the problem with the kitchen knowing how long you will be if you have ordered hot food. A queue at the computer to log scores, a slow couple of holes or just wanting a shower could mean the food is stone cold before you get there.

Cheers both - these were my concerns, so you've basically answered my question. you can let the kitchen know by being able to select a specific time slot, so that can be overcome...but the points you're both addressing are definitely still relevant.

D

Deleted member 15344

IG App let’s you do it already - can order on the App and the beers and also food ban be ready when you arrive.

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site
Sounds like a great idea.

I'd also like to see a system implemented where your food is served at a specified time relative to when you tee off.

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
I've been using a similar system for a few years. After I've put the gear in the boot, I take the phone out of the glove compartment where it has been for the entire round, phone Mrs V and say, "I'm about to leave, you can start getting the meal ready!"

Aztecs27

Money List Winner
Visit site
IG App let’s you do it already - can order on the App and the beers and also food ban be ready when you arrive.

This is precisely what my company offers (order and pay app, among other point of sale related stuff), which is why I asked. Just wasn't sure what the demand would be in the golf domain (my expertise is Hospitality)

Sounds like a great idea.

I'd also like to see a system implemented where your food is served at a specified time relative to when you tee off.

This can easily be achieved by allowing the customer to select a specific time they want it (based on how much they faff post-round.

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
In all honesty, do clubs have the food turnover required to justify investment in a mobile ordering app and would it save that much time in any event at the end of a round. Not sure that I have ever had to wait excessively for post round food and at those places where I have, it has normally been due to poor service not volume and no app is really going to help with that.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
It's a fine idea, but not really needed. I'm happy to wait the extra 5-10 minutes it would realistically save - I'm not usually in a rush, and if I was I wouldn't be ordering food anyway.

Curls

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
They have it at Greetham Valley Lakes course, get a lot of corporate days etc. Download the app, scan the QR code at the 9th tee and there’s a hatch by the 10th (a long walk round the clubhouse from 9th green) where you pick up from. It’s a good idea for big society’s etc. Not sure it’d be applicable at my club, we don’t get enough visitors and the miserable old codgers who stack the place up with their 5 hour rounds wouldn’t spend Christmas.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
Having some kind of order facility is handy for clubs that can viably make use of it but not sure that a one-size app/qr system will fit into each clubs individual F&B process
Clubs round here use the in-cart screens to advertise their menu/order facility and its brought out to you or prepared for your finish etc
One club has an old red phone box on 9th tee with the ‘hut’ being behind 9th green, so you just ‘call’ & order 10 mins before you get there

Post round there’s really no issue with the wait time between ordering and eating, barely enough time to shower or get the first drink down etc

Aztecs27

Money List Winner
Visit site
In all honesty, do clubs have the food turnover required to justify investment in a mobile ordering app and would it save that much time in any event at the end of a round. Not sure that I have ever had to wait excessively for post round food and at those places where I have, it has normally been due to poor service not volume and no app is really going to help with that.

Indeed. Precisely my concern.

also, I notice you're at BP now...might tap you up for an invite when I'm next back. ;)

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
Indeed. Precisely my concern.

also, I notice you're at BP now...might tap you up for an invite when I'm next back. ;)

Sadly not any more (need to change my signature). Not a member anywhere at the moment. Belton Park upped their fees to nearly a grand a year and that is too much for how often I can play. Was tempted to go back to Stoke Rochford on their points scheme but that is full up so going to hold fire and see what people are charing next year once we know if the boom caused by the lockdown will continue. Bit more of a journey but looking at Spalding for a decent course at a reasonable price.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
When I was in Spain a while ago, the staff used to come round in buggies selling sandwiches and drinks, they were very popular, especially on hot days.

Reactions: AAC

HeftyHacker

Visit site
We have a menu and phone number on the bench next to the 10th tee so you can ring it through to collect after you finish the hole (our halfway house is slightly over halfway). Seems to work pretty well, certainly far better than previously where on a Saturday morning you could have 3 or 4 groups gathered round waiting for/eating food.

Doesn't help that the 11th is a call on hole, meant it became a real bottle neck there and there wasn't even that much room for people to gather meaning you were often in the firing line for any overshot approach to the 10th green.

HampshireHog

Assistant Pro
Visit site
We use the IG app to order in the clubhouse, but you need a table number as it is table service, so you can’t pre-order. Not an issue for me.

Halfway house can get hit by 3 groups simultaneously because we have a 2 tee start, not sure if the lady working there would be able to handle the electronic ordering. So still ordering as we arrive, not an issue either.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Gleneagles has a phone about a hole from the halfway hut on kings and Queens, with the menu to order. Can't think of too many others in Scotland that do hot food this would be needed for. Members at my club tend not to use the HWH anyway, only visitors

RichA

Visit site
Obviously, some people think it's a good idea, but I can't understand how you can have 3 or 4 hours of leisure time to spend on a round of golf, but not have the patience to wait for food and drink to be prepared and served normally.
If going out for a drink or meal, I don't place my order half an hour before my reservation and expect it to be ready when I arrive.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I remember speaking to a steward in a club this year at some point, can't remember where. Their mantra for golf club food was that it had to be on the table within 10 minutes of it being ordered. That was the length of time a golfer would accept. Beyond that, patience was gone, they got grumpy and started to moan. Items that took longer than 10 minutes were rarely ordered a second time by people. I smiled but realised that sounded about right. On that basis there is no great need to order in advance whilst still out on the course.

I occasionally play at courses that have a half way hut and most tend to get you to order at the hole before in order to keep things moving fairly smoothly. That works well.

Nice concept, good question but I suspect that for most courses it would be unnecessary. I can see at some of the popular hotel courses, where it is rammed, there could be a market but for most private clubs it would be largely unused.