Woburn - thank you GM, Woburn and the English weather! (long post, sorry!)

• Thread starter Deleted member 18121
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 18121

Hi all

Some months back I won a competition via Golf Monthly for myself and 3 friends to attend Woburn for two rounds of golf, last Thursday and Friday we took the trip, here’s my story.

First off I just want to say a HUGE thank you to GM, Woburn golf club and the staff at the Woburn hotel as our stay was truly epic.

The deal was as follows:

Thursday
Arrive at Woburn golf club for a 2 course lunch.
1:30pm a round on the Dukes course
A night in a twin executive room at the Woburn hotel
Dinner at Olivers restaurant - £35 per head allowance with drinks payable on top

Friday
Full English breakfast/buffet at Olivers
10:30am round on the Duchess course
2 course lunch at the golf club

Thursday

As you may all remember last week the sun was shining and it was beautiful on Monday/Tuesday/Wednesday and Friday. On Thursday the only person comfortable outside would be Noah on his ark and some fish, it was like the world was ending and the contents of a million oceans was dropped on our heads. It was to be a gruelling day.

We arrived at the club at 11:30am and checked in for our round, tags given over along with scorecards, pin locations and we bought a course guide for the Dukes.

We introduced ourselves to the girls in the café and we were shown to our reserved table and perused the menu. A small amount of hot meals and numerous sandwiches to chose from along with a cheesecake to die for. The food was top notch.

As the weather was so bad we stayed indoors for as long as possible before heading out to the course, there was to be no warming up today!

Standing on the 1[SUP]st[/SUP] of the Dukes wasn’t daunting at all. 480 yard par 5, some room to the left and with handicaps of 4, 14, 17 and 24 the day began with 4 long drives straight down the middle….it didn’t last.

The weather certainly played its part on the day, it was torrential from start to finish which made the greens unpredictable and by the 14[SUP]th[/SUP] there were some pretty hefty puddles forming around the course. We all coped as well as could be expected in the conditions, the iconic 3[SUP]rd[/SUP] being the only real highlight for me when I put the ball to about 10 feet with my tee shot. The rest of the course was a bit of a slog with final scores of 82, 98, 102 and 120.

The Dukes isn’t as tight as I’d heard/expected but it certainly pays to be long off the tee.

The club were kind enough to look after our trolleys for the night and we headed back to the hotel in the village. The Woburn hotel is a very quaint but comfortable place to be. Check in was very easy and very quick. The rooms are very comfortable with good powerful showers, the only downside for me was very soft beds.

As we were all so wet we took our bags to our rooms and emptied the contents round the room, it didn’t smell pretty but by morning everything was dry and ready for round 2.

After a shower we headed down to the restaurant, which was fantastic! I had carrot and coriander soup to start followed by steak and then cheesecake to finish, all well within the predefined budget and all absolutely gorgeous. A good choice of beers and spirits made the evening good fun with a very comfortable area within the hotel to enjoy a drink and a game of cards.

The following morning we headed down to breakfast which was a buffet. Good hot food and a nice selection of cereals, fruits, pastries, yogurts etc etc again all top notch.

We headed back off to the club and got checked in for day 2.

Standing on the 1[SUP]st[/SUP] of the Duchess is something else…..after 4 slightly ropey tee shots standing in the middle of the fairway I can honestly say that was the best looking hole I’ve ever played on. The Duchess really is a tight course, if you aren’t on fairway you are relentlessly punished by having to chip out onto the fairway. The greens were immaculate and fast as anything I’d ever played on, it was a course to really plot your way around. I cant say how much a course guide is essential to know when fairwarys fall away etc

Scores of 82, 96, 102 and 128 followed……we were all suffering by about hole 15 with tiredness and to be honest being beaten up a bit by the course.

Return to the club we were greeted again with a reserved table on the patio for lunch…..the woburn burger is a must!

I really cant praise enough everyone involved with the club and the hotel, if you fancy treating yourself you wont go disappointed.

I understand now that Woburn are offering what I’ve just done as a package…..how tempting it is to book it up again!

Svenska

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Hi all

Some months back I won a competition via Golf Monthly for myself and 3 friends to attend Woburn for two rounds of golf, last Thursday and Friday we took the trip, here’s my story.

First off I just want to say a HUGE thank you to GM, Woburn golf club and the staff at the Woburn hotel as our stay was truly epic.

The deal was as follows:

Thursday
Arrive at Woburn golf club for a 2 course lunch.
1:30pm a round on the Dukes course
A night in a twin executive room at the Woburn hotel
Dinner at Olivers restaurant - £35 per head allowance with drinks payable on top

Friday
Full English breakfast/buffet at Olivers
10:30am round on the Duchess course
2 course lunch at the golf club

Thursday

As you may all remember last week the sun was shining and it was beautiful on Monday/Tuesday/Wednesday and Friday. On Thursday the only person comfortable outside would be Noah on his ark and some fish, it was like the world was ending and the contents of a million oceans was dropped on our heads. It was to be a gruelling day.

We arrived at the club at 11:30am and checked in for our round, tags given over along with scorecards, pin locations and we bought a course guide for the Dukes.

We introduced ourselves to the girls in the café and we were shown to our reserved table and perused the menu. A small amount of hot meals and numerous sandwiches to chose from along with a cheesecake to die for. The food was top notch.

As the weather was so bad we stayed indoors for as long as possible before heading out to the course, there was to be no warming up today!

Standing on the 1[SUP]st[/SUP] of the Dukes wasn’t daunting at all. 480 yard par 5, some room to the left and with handicaps of 4, 14, 17 and 24 the day began with 4 long drives straight down the middle….it didn’t last.

The weather certainly played its part on the day, it was torrential from start to finish which made the greens unpredictable and by the 14[SUP]th[/SUP] there were some pretty hefty puddles forming around the course. We all coped as well as could be expected in the conditions, the iconic 3[SUP]rd[/SUP] being the only real highlight for me when I put the ball to about 10 feet with my tee shot. The rest of the course was a bit of a slog with final scores of 82, 98, 102 and 120.

The Dukes isn’t as tight as I’d heard/expected but it certainly pays to be long off the tee.

The club were kind enough to look after our trolleys for the night and we headed back to the hotel in the village. The Woburn hotel is a very quaint but comfortable place to be. Check in was very easy and very quick. The rooms are very comfortable with good powerful showers, the only downside for me was very soft beds.

As we were all so wet we took our bags to our rooms and emptied the contents round the room, it didn’t smell pretty but by morning everything was dry and ready for round 2.

After a shower we headed down to the restaurant, which was fantastic! I had carrot and coriander soup to start followed by steak and then cheesecake to finish, all well within the predefined budget and all absolutely gorgeous. A good choice of beers and spirits made the evening good fun with a very comfortable area within the hotel to enjoy a drink and a game of cards.

The following morning we headed down to breakfast which was a buffet. Good hot food and a nice selection of cereals, fruits, pastries, yogurts etc etc again all top notch.

We headed back off to the club and got checked in for day 2.

Standing on the 1[SUP]st[/SUP] of the Duchess is something else…..after 4 slightly ropey tee shots standing in the middle of the fairway I can honestly say that was the best looking hole I’ve ever played on. The Duchess really is a tight course, if you aren’t on fairway you are relentlessly punished by having to chip out onto the fairway. The greens were immaculate and fast as anything I’d ever played on, it was a course to really plot your way around. I cant say how much a course guide is essential to know when fairwarys fall away etc

Scores of 82, 96, 102 and 128 followed……we were all suffering by about hole 15 with tiredness and to be honest being beaten up a bit by the course.

Return to the club we were greeted again with a reserved table on the patio for lunch…..the woburn burger is a must!

I really cant praise enough everyone involved with the club and the hotel, if you fancy treating yourself you wont go disappointed.

I understand now that Woburn are offering what I’ve just done as a package…..how tempting it is to book it up again!

Definitely in the top 2 golf clubs in the country for me, just love the place. It's class.