Opens getting too expensive?

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Just looked on golf empire at Hertfordshire for an example, a county with some ok courses but nothing exceptional. The gents individual opens are:

Berkhampstead £99
Porters Park £85
The Grove £165
Welwyn Garden City £80

£15-£25 be nice lol
I had a look the other week...barely anything of value within a reasonable distance...except very ordinary ourselves in the 40 quid range....

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
This is clearly a very regional thing. I'm booked to play Opens in Northumberland, Durham and the Borders. The prices are £15, £20, £19, £15, £20, £20.

I have 2 other likely ones, one would be £25, the other under £20 again.

All are nice courses, I would not be playing them if not. I do count myself very lucky to be up here and seeing pricing like this.

RichA

Visit site
Planning a trip to North Wales in April and just happened to look at the opens advertised on one of the courses. They are £10 less than the normal visitors pay and play price.

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
This is clearly a very regional thing. I'm booked to play Opens in Northumberland, Durham and the Borders. The prices are £15, £20, £19, £15, £20, £20.

All are nice courses, I would not be playing them if not. I do count myself very lucky to be up here and seeing pricing like this.

All 8 for the same cost as one at the Grove, sounds terrible lol

rudebhoy

Q-School Graduate
Visit site

We are playing
Seahouses (£15)
Warkworth (£10)
Burgham (£15)
Hexham (£25)
Ponteland (£20)
Tynemouth (£15)
Wooler (£10)

Roll on Spring!

Crazyface

Tour Winner
Visit site
They are getting very expensive. I've shelled out quite a bit over the last few years and have noticed the prices are on the rise. It's still cheaper than daily rates, but they've shot up too. Anyone seen Siloths day rate now? Big jump from the £50 I paid a few years ago. Not to worry though, I've got two freebies to have at top quality courses this year, weather permitting.
Also, why do some courses have mixed team comps instead of 4BBB? I don't know another couple that would make up a four. A mate did indicate him and his wife would do a couple of comps with us this year but has been in a serious accident and is out of action until at least end of June. Even then, I'm not sure he'll ever be the same.

Old Colner

Club Champion
Visit site
To be fair, nothing is available for the prices they used to be, everything has gone up in price the last couple of years, weekly shopping has risen dramatically, on saying that like others have stated, entry fees for opens are still available at bargain prices, I booked on earlier this week for April at Whitefield, £20 per person, around of golf, slight chance of a prize for £20 bargain in my eyes.

HeftyHacker

Visit site
They are getting very expensive. I've shelled out quite a bit over the last few years and have noticed the prices are on the rise. It's still cheaper than daily rates, but they've shot up too. Anyone seen Siloths day rate now? Big jump from the £50 I paid a few years ago. Not to worry though, I've got two freebies to have at top quality courses this year, weather permitting.
Also, why do some courses have mixed team comps instead of 4BBB? I don't know another couple that would make up a four. A mate did indicate him and his wife would do a couple of comps with us this year but has been in a serious accident and is out of action until at least end of June. Even then, I'm not sure he'll ever be the same.

I noticed this as well.

We paid £60 or £65 for a day rate there in September 2021. Its now £95 for a single round!

Open in 2022 was £35pp and is now £50pp... Still paid it though as we love that course but it appears its no longer the "hidden gem" it once was.

Skytot

Visit site
We are playing
Seahouses (£15)
Warkworth (£10)
Burgham (£15)
Hexham (£25)
Ponteland (£20)
Tynemouth (£15)
Wooler (£10)

Roll on Spring!
I loved Seahouses. Lovely shortish course with 2 great par 3s on the back 9.Its dog friendly too, so me & the mrs had our lunch there with the dog in tow before my round . Lovely homemade food by a Husband , Wife & daughter team . Oh and a cracking pint of Guinness after my round . Might play it again in June when I go up there for my holidays

The Lion

Visit site
Planning a trip to North Wales in April and just happened to look at the opens advertised on one of the courses. They are £10 less than the normal visitors pay and play price.

I’m a member at North Wales GC so could potentially sign you on. Conwy over the bay also makes for a great 36 hole day.

Aberdovey and Royal St David’s twilights are also good value.

RichA

Visit site
I’m a member at North Wales GC so could potentially sign you on. Conwy over the bay also makes for a great 36 hole day.

Aberdovey and Royal St David’s twilights are also good value.
You're very kind, thank you.
A few pals and I have booked onto a Mizuno Pairs event which includes 4 courses in 4 days. Your lovely looking course is day 4 on Monday 29th April, so I won't need to trouble you.
Maesdu and a couple of the Anglesey courses are the warm up days.
With an AirBnB in Bangor we're paying £250 each for 3 nights and 4 rounds, which seems like a good value trip.
I expect we'll have a loverly time. 🤦‍♂️

NWGC was one of those that I noticed the price for a visitor to play your Easter open is less than the normal green fee. Unless I'm being naïve and the £27 entry fee is an addition.

Last edited:

Old Colner

Club Champion
Visit site
NWGC was one of those that I noticed the price for a visitor to play your Easter open is less than the normal green fee. Unless I'm being naïve and the £27 entry fee is an addition.

Thought this was normal, I have never come across an open entry fee higher than visitor green fee, maybe the national sponsored events but I don't look at those.

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
Is this a sign of things to come?

Just received an email from Lindrick for their Senior Betterball comp on April 11th, "We still have tee times available for what promises to be a fantastic day of competition."

The cost is £160 per pair....

I tried to see how many spaces there were but a startsheet isn't available so I assume it's a drawn comp, but if I'm reading it correctly there appear to be 66 players currently signed up.
It runs from 8.00 am to 2.30 pm, lets say 10 minute tee times, that's 39 groups of 4 or an total available entry of 156, so they're some way short of half full. 😮

Viewer

Visit site

Just received an email from Lindrick for their Senior Betterball comp on April 11th, "We still have tee times available for what promises to be a fantastic day of competition."

I tried to see how many spaces there were but a startsheet isn't available so I assume it's a drawn comp, but if I'm reading it correctly there appear to be 66 players currently signed up.
It runs from 8.00 am to 2.30 pm, lets say 10 minute tee times, that's 39 groups of 4 or an total available entry of 156, so they're some way short of half full. 😮

Dreadful golf course to be fair!

Captain_Black.

Visit site

I just don't get the mentality.
These clubs are killing the golden goose.
The costs to them putting on an open are negligible, yet if these clubs we're to keep the entry fee's sensible, they would probably have a full field of players, all spending on raffle tickets / 2's / drinks & food in the clubhouse.
Yet they chose to raise the entry fee's to silly amounts & end up with a half empty start sheet & reduced income in the clubhouse.
Crackers financial thinking.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

It runs from 8.00 am to 2.30 pm, lets say 10 minute tee times, that's 39 groups of 4 or a total available entry of 156, so they're some way short of half full. 😮
Not surprised at £160.

Opens used to be a cheap way to play different courses but not any more.

mikejohnchapman

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I just don't get the mentality.
These clubs are killing the golden goose.
The costs to them putting on an open are negligible, yet if these clubs we're to keep the entry fee's sensible, they would probably have a full field of players, all spending on raffle tickets / 2's / drinks & food in the clubhouse.
Yet they chose to raise the entry fee's to silly amounts & end up with a half empty start sheet & reduced income in the clubhouse.
Crackers financial thinking.
Possibly a club vs members issue.

If it's a private club they may want to get a return if they believe they could sell the tee times.

The raffle, 2s, etc. would go to the charity so the club don't get anything.

D-S

Visit site
I think there is the odd crack beginning to appear in the ‘just keep on shoving up the price of ‘known’ courses as we’re so good, punters will pay anything’ strategy.
We have a society that plays a few decent links courses and they all put their prices up significantly when they increased their green fees, probably by a similar %.
At one decent course we used to pay about £60 for 18 holes and a two course meal. This increased to £80 then above £100 - unsurprisingly some of the non regular golfers simply wouldn’t pay the fee so we had to cancel a couple of fixtures, despite the fact that we had been going there for over 50 years. The club’s response was that the price was still heavily discounted as their normal green fee was now £150. We said thank you but unfortunately we wouldn’t be visiting again.
The club has just come back with a revised price of £70, 18 holes and two course lunch - we will be restoring the fixture.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
I don’t play many Opens, but I always thought it a good way to attract players to a club. Give them a round relatively cheaply. Make a good bit of money from of a course full of green fee payers, buying food and drink. And some might enjoy themselves enough to come back with one or more friends to pay a full visitors green fee. Also shows off your course and club for onward reccomendations.

Last edited: