Opens getting too expensive?

The Lion

Visit site
I think there is the odd crack beginning to appear in the ‘just keep on shoving up the price of ‘known’ courses as we’re so good, punters will pay anything’ strategy.
We have a society that plays a few decent links courses and they all put their prices up significantly when they increased their green fees, probably by a similar %.
At one decent course we used to pay about £60 for 18 holes and a two course meal. This increased to £80 then above £100 - unsurprisingly some of the non regular golfers simply wouldn’t pay the fee so we had to cancel a couple of fixtures, despite the fact that we had been going there for over 50 years. The club’s response was that the price was still heavily discounted as their normal green fee was now £150. We said thank you but unfortunately we wouldn’t be visiting again.
The club has just come back with a revised price of £70, 18 holes and two course lunch - we will be restoring the fixture.
Burnham and Berrow by the looks of things.

I should prob hold off from finally playing it this year, as while the fees have increased since last summer, once again virtually every afternoon tee time is empty on most days.

That despite them being £90 vs £150 GF.

Well we’ll see…

That’s a good price they’ve offered you btw. Out of interest, how many are you playing?

D-S

Visit site
Burnham and Berrow by the looks of things.

I should prob hold off from finally playing it this year, as while the fees have increased since last summer, once again virtually every afternoon tee time is empty on most days.

That despite them being £90 vs £150 GF.

Well we’ll see…

That’s a good price they’ve offered you btw. Out of interest, how many are you playing?
8 a side match so 16.

The Lion

Visit site
Is this a sign of things to come?

Just received an email from Lindrick for their Senior Betterball comp on April 11th, "We still have tee times available for what promises to be a fantastic day of competition."

The cost is £160 per pair....

I tried to see how many spaces there were but a startsheet isn't available so I assume it's a drawn comp, but if I'm reading it correctly there appear to be 66 players currently signed up.
It runs from 8.00 am to 2.30 pm, lets say 10 minute tee times, that's 39 groups of 4 or an total available entry of 156, so they're some way short of half full. 😮

Apparently £60 twilight through online booking, so much better value.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
Despite being a wee country with limited courses there’s an Open somewhere about every other week. Most are between £50-£60pp inc food & all include buggy. I do see some ‘creep’ in pricing, even if its just a couple quid from previous years but I guess that’s understandable. There’s a finite number of players so clubs can’t shoot the goose

The most expensive is about £150pp for 36 holes across two courses with breakfast, lunch, evening beach party, drinks etc. Lots of fun that one but its about an 18hr day all in

SteveW86

Head Pro
Visit site
There's still value to be found. Golf Empire is very helpful for that as is Facebook of all things! There's groups like Golf Reciprocals, where you can pick up games with members.

Crikey, I remember the distant days when that's what this site was for!😁

One must not mention the old days and how the arrange a game thread used to be

sunshine

Visit site
I just don't get the mentality.
These clubs are killing the golden goose.
The costs to them putting on an open are negligible, yet if these clubs we're to keep the entry fee's sensible, they would probably have a full field of players, all spending on raffle tickets / 2's / drinks & food in the clubhouse.
Yet they chose to raise the entry fee's to silly amounts & end up with a half empty start sheet & reduced income in the clubhouse.
Crackers financial thinking.

Depends on the business model.

- The vacant slots from the Open could be filled with visitors paying a premium green fee.
- Maybe they have only budgeted for half a field and have enough income already.
- The members may prefer an open with only 60 players as they get a quieter course and can still play before/after the open.

RangeRat

Visit site
Last year my club decided to charge members the same as visitors for all opens.

They stated that the opens were primarily money making events for the club, so members needed to support the club if they wished to play.

Obviously many members bring in guests and play in them also.

They were boycotted by most members (and therefore guests etc.) resulting in half or one third full start sheets. Understandably didn’t want to pay 40 quid to play their own course.

They are doing the same again this year…🫣 lesson not learned.

The Lion

Visit site

They stated that the opens were primarily money making events for the club, so members needed to support the club if they wished to play.

They were boycotted by most members (and therefore guests etc.) resulting in half or one third full start sheets. Understandably didn’t want to pay 40 quid to play their own course.

Problem is, members playing opens and thus being eligible for prize money skews the comp somewhat.

Personally they should be just for visitors imho. Except perhaps one or two comps in open week.

Also means more income for the club.

As your course’s open is £40, I take it it’s a decent course, yet still surprising they can’t fill open slots at £40. Maybe it’s golf only and no food etc.

Singlefiguregokfer

Banned
Visit site
I’m playing the Central England Men’s Foresomes at Woodhall Spa this week.
£100 for minimum 4 rounds, possible
7 rounds.
Seems like a deal to me. Although if we get to the semi or final on Sunday I’ve promised my PP a buggy for Sunday.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

Ours is just as you say.
We don’t play anymore.
I always brought three guests but am not paying £45 to play my own course on a Thursday.

The Lion

Visit site
I’m playing the Central England Men’s Foresomes at Woodhall Spa this week.
£100 for minimum 4 rounds, possible
7 rounds.
Seems like a deal to me. Although if we get to the semi or final on Sunday I’ve promised my PP a buggy for Sunday.

Good value but then you realise it’s foursomes with handicap and area restriction and they prioritise past entrants.

Will aim to play Hotchkin on a twilight later this year, but the non-EGU rates are a joke, so if they won’t accept my Wales County Card, I’ll be outta there!

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site

Not siding with club but it sounds pretty similar to football season ticket, get into league games but certain non-league home games (cup/euro etc) still require to buy a ticket.
Your annual golf subs gets you unlimited green fess but not entry into certain comps & Opens without an additional purchase

Doesn't sound that unreasonable

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Ours is just as you say.
We don’t play anymore.
I always brought three guests but am not paying £45 to play my own course on a Thursday.
A previous club of mine did this. No member entered and there were big holes in the list for the comp. About a week or two before it was due a hasty email came round offering entry to members for £5. They never tried to charge members a high price again, lesson learnt.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
A previous club of mine did this. No member entered and there were big holes in the list for the comp. About a week or two before it was due a hasty email came round offering entry to members for £5. They never tried to charge members a high price again, lesson learnt.
Ours has been like this for a long time so can’t see it changing.
Seems they put up with spaces.!

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I never understood why members were allowed to enter their own clubs opens.
At my old club it was just to fill the sheet.
No member could put their name down until two weeks before.

Only exception was if you’re bringing three visitors with you.
It worked very well.

We had a visitors prize (main prize) members just played for fun.