Opens getting too expensive?

Arthur Wedge

Visit site
I've played with loads of Americans. Very few single digit caps could break 80 without mulligans, gimmes and breakfast balls!!

On the flip side - I would be very wary of playing an 18+ for money!

Completely different mentality Stateside. Golf, for most, is something they do to work up a thirst and spend time with their buddies.

Ye Old Boomer sounds like he really enjoys his golf. Good on him. A few on here could maybe take a leaf from his book in social games!

It’s great it social games with friends

Most of us play in comps or play in organised swindles or opens which is what the thread is about

It’s more than fine for someone to play with the mates and ignore multiple rules etc and play to their enjoyment

The Fader

Visit site

Most of us play in comps or play in organised swindles or opens which is what the thread WAS about

It’s more than fine for someone to play with the mates and ignore multiple rules etc and play to their enjoyment

Corrected that for you! God forbid a thread on here stays on topic!!

Ye Olde Boomer

Visit site

Most of us play in comps or play in organised swindles or opens which is what the thread is about

I would add that I play in two organized member-guests each year and we observe all the rules strictly.
I have a five-wood that matches my four and seven-woods specifically for those.
I replace the four and seven with the five to get down to fourteen clubs.

The casual weekday play is not completely without rules, of course,
but played by slightly relaxed rules which are commonplace in casual American social golf.
The relaxed rules speed up play for less speedy seniors....and get us to the bar more quickly.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I would add that I play in two organized member-guests each year and we observe all the rules strictly.

but played by slightly relaxed rules which are commonplace in casual American social golf.
The relaxed rules speed up play for less speedy seniors....and get us to the bar more quickly.
Do you use headcovers on your woods ?

All Americans seem to have no headcovers and you can hear them coming for miles ,
It’s like an orchestra 😂
Your clubs must get very scratched and dented.

Ye Olde Boomer

Visit site
Do you use headcovers on your woods ?

All Americans seem to have no headcovers and you can hear them coming for miles ,
It’s like an orchestra 😂
Your clubs must get very scratched and dented.
I do have headcovers.
My headcovers for woods are on when I'm NOT playing.
I can't be bothered with them when I'm trying to play.

Also, I can't tolerate the butt-ugly logo ones that come with the clubs.
I have nice navy blue and white houndstooth covers on my four and seven-woods. They match my navy blue and white bag.
I have a donkey head headcover on my driver. It's only appropriate. I've made an ass of myself with driver quite frequently.
Tiger has a tiger. I have a donkey head. [It's also the symbol of my party, but we're not here to discuss politics.]

Don't get me started on putter headcovers, though. I have an old, bulky staff bag in which I keep my old putters.
The covers that have come with more recent putters don't get used at all, ever.
They get stuffed into my putter bag's garment pocket.

Golf clubs are tools, not papal scepters. Baseball and cricket players don't put covers on their bats.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I do have headcovers.
My headcovers for woods are on when I'm NOT playing.
I can't be bothered with them when I'm trying to play.

Also, I can't tolerate the butt-ugly logo ones that come with the clubs.
I have nice navy blue and white houndstooth covers on my four and seven-woods. They match my navy blue and white bag.
I have a donkey head headcover on my driver. It's only appropriate. I've made an ass of myself with driver quite frequently.
Tiger has a tiger. I have a donkey head. [It's also the symbol of my party, but we're not here to discuss politics.]

Don't get me started on putter headcovers, though. I have an old, bulky staff bag in which I keep my old putters.
The covers that have come with more recent putters don't get used at all, ever.
They get stuffed into my putter bag's garment pocket.

Golf clubs are tools, not papal scepters. Baseball and cricket players don't put covers on their bats.
Yes but I have never seen a baseball player or cricketer with “16”clubs in a cart.😂😂

2blue

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

We have several at our Club who enjoy their golf in this way.
Out of interest do you & your buddies replace divots & repair pitch marks, as our guys don't? 😳😳