Opens getting too expensive?

Captain_Black.

Visit site
So I enjoy playing in quite a few opens during the season, predominantly single comps & occasionally 4BBB on courses within an hour or so from home.

Last season I noticed a considerable increase in cost for most of the opens & with the cost of living crisis atm, I expect them to further increase next season.
I think I will have to cut back the number that I enter, as they are quickly becoming just too expensive.
Thoughts?

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Depends where you are in the country I suspect. In Northumberland and Durham the prices are between £12-£25, most £12-£20. That's great value imo.

I've just been booked in to play in a 4bbb next season at one of Durham's best courses for £19. That's superb.

Last edited:

chellie

Tour Winner
Visit site
If it's cheaper than the standard green fee and is a course you want to play it's still good value. However, we pay a good chunk for our membership for the two of us so we've not played in many opens this year.

3offTheTee

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I play a lot of singles each year and some are extremely good value.It is all about supply and high demand especially for some courses.

Hillside in 2023 is £150 per person and is full. Many of the courses in Scotland are excellent value but a many in England have increased prices by upto 50%.

KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Play in the seniors or ladies opens, they are always cheaper.

I haven't noticed much increase.
Think it was £12 for Kilspindie and £20 for Gullane 2 in September.
Most I paid was £25 for Goswick. All amazing value.

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
Just had a look at some local ones to me (West Yorkshire), most seem pretty good value tbh - there are some pricier ones on some of the North Leeds courses - Moortown and that ilk, but nothing that pops out as overpriced.

evemccc

Visit site
I looked for info on Deal Week this summer and it seems RCP have stopped it? Plenty online about 2021 - nothing about 2022 or 2023..

louise_a

Money List Winner
Visit site
It does appear that opens in the south are a lot more expensive that in the north, I play in a lot and rarely pay more than £20, most or under that. That said I will happily pay more for a course I really want to play

KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site
It does appear that opens in the south are a lot more expensive that in the north, I play in a lot and rarely pay more than £20, most or under that. That said I will happily pay more for a course I really want to play
Are women's open cheaper than gents in the south like they are around here?

D-S

Visit site
At some courses yes, dramatically so. However we have a set green fee element in our costing for setting entry prices which applies to all but Junior.

louise_a

Money List Winner
Visit site

generally, yes they are, a lot of clubs are like mine and the lady's open is run by the ladies with no input from the main club, none of the entry fee goes to the club

KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site
generally, yes they are, a lot of clubs are like mine and the lady's open is run by the ladies with no input from the main club, none of the entry fee goes to the club
I find that totally ridiculous, was the same at my last club. It was almost like pocket money for the ladies section.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I play a lot of singles each year and some are extremely good value.It is all about supply and high demand especially for some courses.

Hillside in 2023 is £150 per person and is full. Many of the courses in Scotland are excellent value but a many in England have increased prices by upto 50%.
Yes I played hillside in sept and it was £110 that’s a bit of a hike.
But as you say it’s full.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
I find that totally ridiculous, was the same at my last club. It was almost like pocket money for the ladies section.
Same here, ours did that until the ladies and senior sections were absorbed into the club and their own captains removed. They had a big fund they used for themselves and not thevwider club while all the men's and junior comps went to the club

simo71

Visit site
Have noticed some quite big jumps next year. Presumably trying to plug the gap for the increased costs being faced by clubs. A more palatable alternative to charging members a lot more.

As noted above, Hillside has gone from £220 to £300 for a pair. Probably an extra £7-8k just from that one comp.

Banchory Buddha

Visit site
Opens up here are a fraction of the visitor green fee. Some the same cost as mber sign on.
But still even here there's been quite a bump in the last year. Brora now £50 for their 36er, many others £30 for 18 now or even more. I joined a second club this year, which basically hoovered up my open entry cash anyway, but if I hadn't I'd be playing many fewer opens than previouslyt when I'd play anything between 30-50 a year.