Opens getting too expensive?

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
But still even here there's been quite a bump in the last year. Brora now £50 for their 36er, many others £30 for 18 now or even more. I joined a second club this year, which basically hoovered up my open entry cash anyway, but if I hadn't I'd be playing many fewer opens than previouslyt when I'd play anything between 30-50 a year.
Tbh I don't play any 36 holes any longer, didn't play Brora this year, but my own clubs was the same price for the senior open and Tains the same for the couple I played there. Brora as 18 last year I think. Pro play Brora next year as its one of the few that has a scratch prize up here, some of the others I used to.play, you have no chance. Shot under par a couple of times and wasnt in the top 10?

3offTheTee

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Just had a look at some local ones to me (West Yorkshire), most seem pretty good value tbh - there are some pricier ones on some of the North Leeds courses - Moortown and that ilk, but nothing that pops out as overpriced.
Couple of class Courses Moortown and Alwoodley may be what you are referring to. However it does not take long for them to fill

nickjdavis

Head Pro
Visit site
I'm almost making an annual jaunt now up to Scotland to play in the Moray Open.....looks like next years price is going to be £150 which I think is up £25 on last year.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
For those not from Scotland, this is for the 5 dayer. Amazing value.
4 and 5 day opens are great value, only downside I find now is the pace of play is horrendous at time last time I played ours we were over 4 hours 2nd group out on the first day, guys in front of us no one in front of them, we're 4.30 as they leg us through on 17.

Captain_Black.

Visit site
Interesting replies.
I am based in the South West.
What I've noticed is.
The traditionally expensive courses where before the price hikes you could justify the cost as "a must play special treat" are getting beyond being able to justify.

Some (but not all) of the middle range quality courses have had a substantial hike in price & I've noticed that quite a few have tagged on a one or two course meal as part of the day to make it even more expensive.

The cheaper end of the market are by & large still very affordable.
But, what has changed is that most courses now charge more for an open than the green fee on a county card which was never the case until recently.
I'll no doubt play a few next year, but probably nowhere near as many as I have done in previous years.

Banchory Buddha

Visit site
4 and 5 day opens are great value, only downside I find now is the pace of play is horrendous at time last time I played ours we were over 4 hours 2nd group out on the first day, guys in front of us no one in front of them, we're 4.30 as they leg us through on 17.
That's shocking. As first off (and indeed all early groups) you have a duty to set the pace. Part of the issue with the 4/5 dayers is so many tourists (I suspect) , they're up for the week so no real hurry, but if you're in no hurry, go out late and don't ruin the day for everyone. (and I sure this doesn't apply to NJD here :p )

Smiffy

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
Opens up here are a fraction of the visitor green fee. Some the same cost as mber sign on.
Same as club membership.
You can join a pretty decent club in Scotland for around £500.00 for full membership.
Down here you'd be looking at a right Goat track for that money.
Anything half decent is £1,500.00 or more.

louise_a

Money List Winner
Visit site
I find that totally ridiculous, was the same at my last club. It was almost like pocket money for the ladies section.

Our ladies section is pretty much self funding, we pay our own entries into regional associations team competitions etc, I dare say the corresponding fees for the men are paid out of the main club funds so it seems perfectly reasonable to me.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Same as club membership.
You can join a pretty decent club in Scotland for around £500.00 for full membership.
Down here you'd be looking at a right Goat track for that money.
Anything half decent is £1,500.00 or more.
Of course smiffy, but it's all relative. Get lots of guys come to my club and rave about what we get for the money and say down south this would be £3000. But its not its in the middle of nowhere? its like comparing house prices.

nickjdavis

Head Pro
Visit site
That's shocking. As first off (and indeed all early groups) you have a duty to set the pace. Part of the issue with the 4/5 dayers is so many tourists (I suspect) , they're up for the week so no real hurry, but if you're in no hurry, go out late and don't ruin the day for everyone. (and I sure this doesn't apply to NJD here :p )

I'd like to think not....but....nobody ever looks in the mirror and sees a slow golfer I'm afraid. :D

Sometimes events however dictate a little bit of delay...

At this years Moray Open I played one round with a decent golfer, 4 handicap or so, in my group...on the second hole (Old Course) he hooked his tee shot into gorse, knocked a provisional up the middle. Found his original ball which was unplayable and took relief back on line from where his ball lay and the pin. He proceeded to hook his next shot back into the gorse....this ball was never found....so he was all the way back to the tee to play his 5th shot. One hole into a round and we are already letting the group behind play through!!

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
I'd like to think not....but....nobody ever looks in the mirror and sees a slow golfer I'm afraid. :D

At this years Moray Open I played one round with a decent golfer, 4 handicap or so, in my group...on the second hole (Old Course) he hooked his tee shot into gorse, knocked a provisional up the middle. Found his original ball which was unplayable and took relief back on line from where his ball lay and the pin. He proceeded to hook his next shot back into the gorse....this ball was never found....so he was all the way back to the tee to play his 5th shot. One hole into a round and we are already letting the group behind play through!!
Tbf though the 2nd is a tricky tee shot anything but fairway has a good chance of never being seen again.
Not played Lossiemouth this last year, people I know who played a few opens all complained it wasn't in that great shape.
Personally I always loved playing it, a real shot shapers course, was even a member for a few years, but just didn't play enough to make it worth while.

Last edited:

chellie

Tour Winner
Visit site

Yet so many blame high handicappers for slow play.

3offTheTee

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Just looked at a few Open's for this year. Royal Dornoch has increased to £60. Still great value when the Green fees in Summer are £280 per round. The best value is the 7 clubs Comp @£30. RealismeRD can do what they want as I think they are having a rebuild @ around £14 m but still expensive.

Sure many Clubs will get on the bandwagon. However there is a greed element creeping in and fear some will have their fingers burnt. This is unlikely to happen to the most prestigious clubs which fill up quickly. North Berwick filled lst year in 38 seconds repeat seconds not minutes!

Having Sid the above there are still some exceptional deals around

Banchory Buddha

Visit site
Just looked at a few Open's for this year. Royal Dornoch has increased to £60. Still great value when the Green fees in Summer are £280 per round. The best value is the 7 clubs Comp @£30. RealismeRD can do what they want as I think they are having a rebuild @ around £14 m but still expensive.

Sure many Clubs will get on the bandwagon. However there is a greed element creeping in and fear some will have their fingers burnt. This is unlikely to happen to the most prestigious clubs which fill up quickly. North Berwick filled lst year in 38 seconds repeat seconds not minutes!

TBF to clubs, Opens had been the same price of £15-£25 for a long long time, perhaps overdue that they went up, but it's only meant I will play less and be more picky

simo71

Visit site

Dornoch comps for men are more than £60. Most around £80-90. Up around £10-15 on last year. The 7 club comp is being played over the Struie and not the championship course this year.

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Just looked on golf empire at Hertfordshire for an example, a county with some ok courses but nothing exceptional. The gents individual opens are:

Berkhampstead £99
Porters Park £85
The Grove £165
Welwyn Garden City £80

£15-£25 be nice lol

Billysboots

Falling apart at the seams
Visit site
As I said elsewhere very recently, Hollinwell now comes in at over £100pp, compared to Coxmoor just down the road which is almost half that.

Some prices have definitely shot up in recent years, but if the events are still selling out, and Hollinwell most certainly will, then perhaps the clubs cannot be criticised.