Old farts 2023

Dando

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Morning all,

Given that this years proposed trip proved to be as popular as prince Andrew at a kids birthday party shall we try and get something sorted for 2023?

Is Forest Pines still the preferred venue or shall I look for somewhere else?

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
Is there no Old Farts this year?

Speaking purely for myself, my feelings were...
Really fun event.... but Forest Pines is a really long way from South Wales and having played there, no great urge to return. That's more a comment on my hobby of adding new courses to the CV rather than about FP.

So, distance would be less of an issue if it was a place I hadn't played before or a top venue. (Which of course has price implications)

Others will see it differently, I can imagine such a good deal at places with the accommodation available.

Last edited:

HarrogateHacker

Visit site
Having been watching the thread, looks like we’re struggling for numbers this year, maybe still a few doubts around covid when the planning was ongoing, happy to go after a 2023 version. FP is decent enough but not wedded to it, there must be other multi course venues with hotels centrally located, I’m not too fussed in the specific course as long as it’s decent enough. The belfry has a few courses, sure that the Midlands or south Yorks would probably work for most

Last edited:

Smiffy

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
Is there no Old Farts this year?

Speaking purely for myself, my feelings were...
Really fun event.... but Forest Pines is a really long way from South Wales and having played there, no great urge to return. That's more a comment on my hobby of adding new courses to the CV rather than about FP.

So, distance would be less of an issue if it was a place I hadn't played before or a top venue. (Which of course has price implications)

Others will see it differently, I can imagine such a good deal at places with the accommodation available.

The problem is Ian, that wherever you choose to play you will get comments about the location being unfair to some, fair to others.
I got chastised once for holding it at Forest Pines, accusing me of discrimination of the lads "up North".
Errrr... hang on, Bexhill to Forest Pines is a run of over 4 hours for me!!!
You can't win Geezer. One of the reasons I stepped back from organising it.

D

Deleted member 1740

The problem is Ian, that wherever you choose to play you will get comments about the location being unfair to some, fair to others.
I got chastised once for holding it at Forest Pines, accusing me of discrimination of the lads "up North".

One eager forummer even turned up a week early to FP?

That’s the sort of commitment from others you need.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
I'd been keen to have another go at FP as I enjoyed the course and thought it was a nice venue, hotel was OK and food not bad and prob around about the middle of the country.
I doubt anyone had a longer drive than me to get there?

PhilTheFragger

Provider of Entertainment for the Golfing Gods 🙄
Visit site
Forest Pines has several things going for it.

Location is good for probably 75% of the forum (within 3 hours drive)

Hotel Facilities and course are decent and the 3 x9’s work well

Excellent value for money

Anywhere else you look will need to match this.

Certainly me n him will be up for 2023,

IanM

Journeyman Pro

Absolutely agree. On a uk wide forum, you'll never please everyone.

Fragger's list of positives are hard to argue with.

My comments were purely why I didn't put my name down for this event.

I'm playing that Open at a Littlestone as its a course I've never played. That wipes out the distance issues. (Not to mention the chance to play with some Forum Legends!:whistle:)

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
Absolutely agree. On a uk wide forum, you'll never please everyone.

Fragger's list of positives are hard to argue with.

My comments were purely why I didn't put my name down for this event.

I'm playing that Open at a Littlestone as its a course I've never played. That wipes out the distance issues. (Not to mention the chance to play with some Forum Legends!:whistle:)

I think you mean leg ends !

Liverbirdie

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I've never played in it as normally have a load of other trips on anyway, but here's 2 suggestions:-

1. Make it masters weekend every year - everyone's chomping at the bit by then for some golf.

2. Move it about each year, then no-one can moan.

St. Mellion, Forest of Arden (although I havent played it), etc etc,

I'm not sure of lots of Scottish have travelled down, but a North, South, Midlands meet every 3rd year should be fair, and far enough away from H4H for people to do both, if they want.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I've never played in it as normally have a load of other trips on anyway, but here's 2 suggestions:-

1. Make it masters weekend every year - everyone's chomping at the bit by then for some golf.

2. Move it about each year, then no-one can moan.

St. Mellion, Forest of Arden (although I havent played it), etc etc,

I'm not sure of lots of Scottish have travelled down, but a North, South, Midlands meet every 3rd year should be fair, and far enough away from H4H for people to do both, if they want.

Some good points raised. Maybe have a mini-rota (as per the Open) and maybe chuck one in further north than Forest Pines. Not sure what there is just into Scotland but why not one there too, if close to an airport or motorway links. Would give our large Scottish contingent more of a chance and if it's on a rota you can work out which ones you want to play and budget accordingly

IanM

Journeyman Pro
Regional rota is a fab idea.

The Grove and Gleneagles could stage "rich old gits v spoilt brats." I wonder what their 36 holes,dinner, b&b rates would be? :eek:

Celtic Manor would do a cheap package but after walking round the Monty, everyone will be too tired to drive home.

I'm sure other options are available....

Dando

Q-School Graduate
Visit site

The Grove and Gleneagles could stage "rich old gits v spoilt brats." I wonder what their 36 holes,dinner, b&b rates would be? :eek:

Celtic Manor would do a cheap package but after walking round the Monty, everyone will be too tired to drive home.

I’m happy to look at Celtic manor as a venue

Bratty

Princess Pouty (Queen of Fish Lips)
Visit site

I guess I'd have to sign up for the spoilt brats side then! ?

Dando

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
so i have made a few enquiries for Sunday 9th april 2023 (masters sunday) and here are the prices;

Celtic Manor

1 Night, Bed And Breakfast at Resort Hotel (2 people sharing - double or twin)

1 round at Twenty Ten Course (approx 11am tee off)
1 round at Montgomerie Course (approx 9am tee off)

Price per person:£242.00

single room supplement £60

this is based on 24 golfers

looking at the on site restaurants an evening meal will cost another £40 or so plus drinks are £6 a pint

Forest Pines

2023 rates not available yet but if we are too book soon they will probably honour the 2022 rates which are;

1 night dinner, bed and breakfast
2 rounds of golf - courses TBA

Price per person £119 based on twin or double

single room supplement £40

based on 24 golfers