A very sad day for me

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site
I've decided to call it a day carrying my clubs :(

Something I have always enjoyed has been carrying my clubs during a round, but alas, no more.

I've had enough of the lower back issues after playing and in the following days.

I would like to stress, I have no issue hitting balls. I have in recent times spent entire afternoons at the driving range working through swing changes my pro is making to my swing, with no ill effects or stiffness and/or soreness on the day or in the following days.

Yet, if I carry my clubs for 18 holes my lower back is stiff and sometimes sore for a good few days after. I played Saturday and my back is still a little stiff today.

If I can hit plenty of balls at the range with no ill effects then, the common denominator for my back stiffness is carrying my gear, and on that note, my bag is pretty light.

I usually hit the range twice a week (Tuesday & Thursday) but my back is still stiff from Saturdays round, so I'm having to give it a miss.

To this end, I've decided enough is enough with the carrying.

This may sound daft, but I'm actually gutted I'm having to do this, but I'm not letting stiffness in my lower back from carrying effect my practice time(s) nor, and more importantly, playing with my 4 year old son.

It's my birthday at the weekend and I've decided to plush up for a trolley and cart bag and begin to wheel my bag around for the foreseeable future to see if it helps my back. I have my eye on a particular make and model so here's hoping this weekend I get something sorted.

I won't be playing until a week on Saturday (... Aside from 9 holes Thursday afternoon) as it's my boys birthday party (On my birthday funnily enough :) ) so, hopefully, the next time I see the course I will be pushing instead of carrying.

Has anybody else suffered this with carrying their clubs and made subsequent changes to pushing/trollying?

Martin70

Head Pro
Visit site
Not any specific injury or strain but I went from carrying to pushing a while ago - I just find it makes the whole round more enjoyable because you definitely feel fresher during the round and I found I was able to concentrate more because of it.

Good luck!

NWJocko

Tour Winner
Visit site
Not my back but I suffer with my knees after carrying.

Push trolleys are great. I probably prefer carrying my bag but do suffer afterwards.

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I've carried maybe 3times this winter and been to the chiropractor a few times.

The chiropractor says its nit just one thing like carrying that will set off the bad back but it can easily be the straw that breaks it.

Lifestyle changes somewhere like posture watching the TV, driving etc. Could have you back carrying before you know it.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
I'm still happy to carry, even with a slightly dodgy back. As NWJocko posted, it's more my knees/legs that suffer, though getting up after 20 mins in the clubhouse can be quite a struggle!

I've taken advantage of several times when push/pull trollies are allowed and have definitely felt better afterwards than after carrying though!

If it's causing pain though, it's a sign that you should stop!

G

guest100718

I got a powered trolley a few years ago and it really makes a difference. Although I do still carry in the summer evenings, but just a half set

Break90

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Suffered with lower back pain since I was in my early 30's, bought a powakaddy 8 years ago and havn't looked back. Just upgraded to a new Motocaddy M3pro.

Still get a bit of soreness for a day or so after a round, but nothing like the bent over double cant stand up straight issues I used to have, and more to do with my general flexibility which I'm working on. Never tried a push trolley so can't comment on that, but would definitely never go back to carrying.

Fish

Banned
Visit site
I was the opposite for a while, I found I was hunched or arched with pushing my trolley and was getting lower back aches & pains, so I started to carry and through carrying it brought my shoulders back and my posture improved and I didn't get the lower back issues! Unfortunately all though all that is positive, I generally tire a little when carrying, more so in wet underfoot weather but will still carry in the summer at times especially in shorts & polo conditions.

I think the ideal scenario for me would be a remote control trolley, its on my wish list :smirk:

Albanach

Head Pro
Visit site
Try a good stretching routine 3 times a day and in true tiger style work on your glute strength as this can be a big contributer onlower back issues (so ive been told)

SugarPenguin

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Im in the same boat.

Think I will have to get a trolley since my back is sore. Makes sense really - unless you are an athlete (i am definitely not) then you will get tired.

norbs

Hacker
Visit site
Should be a very happy day fella. Realising that a simple change like that is gonna reduce potential injury and lost time with the kids is a great step in my book.

I get the odd problem with my back and started using a trolley early on when I started playing. I'm only 41 and don't want to give my back any excuse to cut back my golf......oh yeah, and spending time with the kids;)

CMAC

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
Gareth, I love carrying but the 'angle' it apparently forced on me does create issues over a period of time, especially with a full bag.

I use a trolley now but get yourself a pencil bag for summer nights when you take out 6 clubs for a few holes- best of both worlds.....and your back (and son) will thank you.

philly169

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
good luck, i don't mind carrying, but being able to just push a light weight trolley in front of you with no pressure on your back as you walk up to your ball is amazing. Clic gear all the way for me

chillicon

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I will light a candle and say a prayer for you. Hope you get through this very difficult time.
And hope all the golfers you hold up while you faff around with your old man's trolley don't mind too much.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Knees and ankle get me when I carry. Tried a few years back and it just didn't work. Tried again early part of this winter but much the same.
Trolley for me.!

Piece

Tour Winner
Visit site
I will light a candle and say a prayer for you. Hope you get through this very difficult time.
And hope all the golfers you hold up while you faff around with your old man's trolley don't mind too much.

That made me laugh!

On a serious note, I used to carry all the time until four or so years ago. Switched to a GoKart electric trolley and haven't looked back. Definitely helps when you are 40+ yrs old :D

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site
Gareth, I love carrying but the 'angle' it apparently forced on me does create issues over a period of time, especially with a full bag.

I use a trolley now but get yourself a pencil bag for summer nights when you take out 6 clubs for a few holes- best of both worlds.....and your back (and son) will thank you.

I have already done pal :thup:

Half set summer nights will be a bonus :D

I'll try not to old you up faffing :rofl: