Carry bags causing pilling on clothes - any solutions?

YandaB

Visit site
Now winter has well and truly arrived it is time to start carrying again (i'm a lazy golfer and don't want to walk the extra 2 miles around all the ropes on the course!). My problem is that when I do carry, I damage all of my golf clothes where the bag rubs on my back. Does anyone else suffer from this? Has anyone found a solution?

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
I don’t carry as much as I should but when I do I haven’t really noticed bag-rub. It’s pretty static when walking but no doubt there’s gonna be a bit of rub when it is hoisted on/off but it hasn’t meant added wear/tear on clothing as far as I’ve noticed

I know you’re not treating clothing as heirlooms to be passed on and are probably just trying to extend the life expectancy a wee bit but you may have to just accept that actual life expectancy is a bit less than expected/desired life expectancy

(I suffer a similar situation but its damage from sun bleach that shortens the life of my golf clothes and means I have to change them sooner than I, or my wallet, want to. Frustrating to say the least)

sunshine

Visit site
Now winter has well and truly arrived it is time to start carrying again (i'm a lazy golfer and don't want to walk the extra 2 miles around all the ropes on the course!). My problem is that when I do carry, I damage all of my golf clothes where the bag rubs on my back. Does anyone else suffer from this? Has anyone found a solution?

I don't wear woollen sweaters for this reason. A nice cashmere sweater wouldn't last long, it's not just the back but the shoulders too.

My golf tops are all "technical fibres" ie polyester, and much more resistant to piling.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I don't wear woollen sweaters for this reason. A nice cashmere sweater wouldn't last long, it's not just the back but the shoulders too.

My golf tops are all "technical fibres" ie polyester, and much more resistant to piling.
Exactly this. My outer layer would always be a polyester/elastane midlayer, or a gilet or waterproof jacket of course. I never wear that wool / merino fluffy stuff.

If you're not wearing that stuff, then maybe look at the straps on your bag? Mine has a lot of padding on it, but maybe yours doesn't? If it's just like a bare leather strap then that would probably rub more than the padded kind.

YandaB

Visit site
Exactly this. My outer layer would always be a polyester/elastane midlayer, or a gilet or waterproof jacket of course. I never wear that wool / merino fluffy stuff.

If you're not wearing that stuff, then maybe look at the straps on your bag? Mine has a lot of padding on it, but maybe yours doesn't? If it's just like a bare leather strap then that would probably rub more than the padded kind.
It's not pilling where the straps are but on my lower back where the bag itself rests. I'm also talking about clothes with artificial fibres rather than wool, they still get pills :-(

I was considering somehow attaching a plastic sheet (supermarket bag) onto the bag so that the 2 surfaces slid against each other rather than rubbing.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
It's not pilling where the straps are but on my lower back where the bag itself rests. I'm also talking about clothes with artificial fibres rather than wool, they still get pills :-(

I was considering somehow attaching a plastic sheet (supermarket bag) onto the bag so that the 2 surfaces slid against each other rather than rubbing.
Are they cheap rubbish? 😆 I don't know, maybe mine have done this too and I just never noticed. I tend tend to look at the backs of my jumpers.

sunshine

Visit site

I get this on the lower back too, but it has taken years to appear on artificial fibre tops. Maybe I have more tops than you and play less golf :D

sjw

Visit site
Yep. Nice pair of Lululemon trousers have fading on the side where my bag has rubbed. Makes me cautious to wear them while carrying, which is a shame.

Jensen

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I don’t wear woollen jumpers when carrying for this reason. However it’s not just woollen tops, I’ve got an Under Armour cold weather too that clicks easily.
The finish you want is where the tops are shiny and smooth, as even polyester can click too.
Best to rub your hand over the item with your hand or finger nail to see what happens before buying

Golfnut1957

Visit site
I don’t carry as much as I should but when I do I haven’t really noticed bag-rub. It’s pretty static when walking but no doubt there’s gonna be a bit of rub when it is hoisted on/off but it hasn’t meant added wear/tear on clothing as far as I’ve noticed

I know you’re not treating clothing as heirlooms to be passed on and are probably just trying to extend the life expectancy a wee bit but you may have to just accept that actual life expectancy is a bit less than expected/desired life expectancy

(I suffer a similar situation but its damage from sun bleach that shortens the life of my golf clothes and means I have to change them sooner than I, or my wallet, want to. Frustrating to say the least)
"Sun Bleach" Does such a thing exist? Surely not.

I have clothing that is damp, smelly and covered in mildew. Oh how I wish I had a sun bleach issue. Next summer perhaps:(