MacGregor hybrid bag - any reviews?

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Got a birthday coming up, the missus has asked me what I want. My cart and stand bags are both a bit tatty, and I've seen this MacGregor hybrid bag (i.e. it supposedly does both) for a good price:
https://www.hotgolf.co.uk/product/macgregor-hybrid-14-golf-stand-cart-trolley-bag-charcoal/

Missus would be happy as well since one bag takes up less room than two in the cupboard. Anyone got this bag? Is it decent? Or failing that does anyone use a 'hybrid' bag by another make? Are the best of both worlds or neither one nor the other? I tend to use trolley all summer and carry all winter, with exceptions such as carrying on hillier courses or nine holes - seems pretty handy to just have the one all-purpose bag in theory.

Reemul

Head Pro
Visit site
That looks pretty nice, motocaddy do one that fits on to their trolleys but also has legs but is only for motocaddy trolleys.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
That looks pretty nice, motocaddy do one that fits on to their trolleys but also has legs but is only for motocaddy trolleys.
Thanks. I guess not many people have one of these, but it looks like it ticks all the boxes so I've sent the link over to the missus.

Now, anyone looking for a Wilson trolley bag with a hole in or a Mizuno stand bag being held together with zip ties? :p

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
My mate has a macgregor bag and hes perfectly happy with its quality and build.

Not this exact model but he has no complaints.

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
Got a birthday coming up, the missus has asked me what I want. My cart and stand bags are both a bit tatty, and I've seen this MacGregor hybrid bag (i.e. it supposedly does both) for a good price:
https://www.hotgolf.co.uk/product/macgregor-hybrid-14-golf-stand-cart-trolley-bag-charcoal/

Missus would be happy as well since one bag takes up less room than two in the cupboard. Anyone got this bag? Is it decent? Or failing that does anyone use a 'hybrid' bag by another make? Are the best of both worlds or neither one nor the other? I tend to use trolley all summer and carry all winter, with exceptions such as carrying on hillier courses or nine holes - seems pretty handy to just have the one all-purpose bag in theory.

Can't speak for McGregor as a review, but pretty much all of the stand bags will go on a trolley and sit the correct way (i.e. won't roll onto their side). They will mostly all have a velcro loop to hold in the legs from folding out when on the cart as well.

Genuinely don't see the point of having a designated Cart bag now a days, that is just a huge lump and you couldn't carry around if you had to, for whatever reason.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Can't speak for McGregor as a review, but pretty much all of the stand bags will go on a trolley and sit the correct way (i.e. won't roll onto their side). They will mostly all have a velcro loop to hold in the legs from folding out when on the cart as well.

Genuinely don't see the point of having a designated Cart bag now a days, that is just a huge lump and you couldn't carry around if you had to, for whatever reason.
Yeah, I've had separate cart and carry bags for a while like most people, but it really would be more convenient to just have one. e.g. if you turn up somewhere and there's a surprise trolley ban, as you say there's a load of cart bags you really wouldn't want to be carrying. I guess cart bags just tend to have more pockets and space, but I try not to carry load of stuff and pack the bag out anyway.

hairball_89

Club Champion
Visit site
I've got a big max 14 divider hybrid bag. Absolutely brilliant. light enough to carry when packed full, but also perfectly sturdy on a trolley. That macgregor looks fine, the big max is about £130, as a comparison.

Go for it.

BubbaP

Occasional Player of Golf
Visit site
Thanks. I guess not many people have one of these, but it looks like it ticks all the boxes so I've sent the link over to the missus.

Now, anyone looking for a Wilson trolley bag with a hole in or a Mizuno stand bag being held together with zip ties? :p
You've already decided ? I've had a couple of hybrid bags and agree with the sentiment. But at the start of the year bought my first trolley bag - a water resistant Macgregor. No complaints so far.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Do you sacrifice a lot of room on a hybrid bag compared to a cart bag?
From what I can tell, the main difference is only that the left side pocket is half the height of the bag instead of full height (because there's a padded patch there instead which would go on your back when you carry). Other than that it looks a similar amount of storage space.

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site
My general thought on these things is that if something is designed to do two jobs, it will do neither job as well as something specifically designed for one of the jobs.

I have a full size trolley bag because I need something that size to carry waterproofs & everything else I'll take on 36 hole days, and a lightweight carry bag for days when I'm doing 18 & can do without all the kit. I suppose the bottom line is can you live with the compromise?

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
My general thought on these things is that if something is designed to do two jobs, it will do neither job as well as something specifically designed for one of the jobs.

I have a full size trolley bag because I need something that size to carry waterproofs & everything else I'll take on 36 hole days, and a lightweight carry bag for days when I'm doing 18 & can do without all the kit. I suppose the bottom line is can you live with the compromise?
The way I see it is it's designed to do one job and that's save you having two different bags? :LOL: No, I do get what you mean, but as I say I don't think I ever fully pack out my cart bag these days so I can live with slightly less storage space I think. The only time it gets full is if I went out wearing my gilet because it was cold but I've taken it off and need to stuff it in the bag (as it's quite thick). But I think I can live with it for the convenience of not having to change bags at all. I'm gonna give it a go anyway. Old bags can live in the shed in case it doesn't work out. :p

hairball_89

Club Champion
Visit site
I'm going to guess that the macgregor bag is all but exactly the same as the big max bag I have. It certainly looks pretty close in the link. The only 2 real negatives against the 'designed for one task' bags are:

1. When used on a trolley, there's a perfect space for one pocket not being used - the padded area that usually sits on your back, obviously that can't be a pocket when you're using it as a carry bag!
2. Because the legs start lower down the bag to allow for a nice, neat fit on a trolley, it isn't as sturdy as a bag with 'full length' legs, as such it does have a propensity to fall over when playing hilly/windy courses.

But, that's being super picky and if I needed to buy a new golf bag again tomorrow, I'd buy the same Big Max bag. It's great.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I'm going to guess that the macgregor bag is all but exactly the same as the big max bag I have. It certainly looks pretty close in the link. The only 2 real negatives against the 'designed for one task' bags are:

1. When used on a trolley, there's a perfect space for one pocket not being used - the padded area that usually sits on your back, obviously that can't be a pocket when you're using it as a carry bag!
2. Because the legs start lower down the bag to allow for a nice, neat fit on a trolley, it isn't as sturdy as a bag with 'full length' legs, as such it does have a propensity to fall over when playing hilly/windy courses.

But, that's being super picky and if I needed to buy a new golf bag again tomorrow, I'd buy the same Big Max bag. It's great.
Good feedback, cheers. My current stand bag is not immune to blowing over anyway. Not helped by the fact the stand part is help together with a zip tie as I alluded to earlier.

Right, now I just want the bag, can't be arsed waiting another two weeks. :LOL: Such a kid.

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
Yeah, I've had separate cart and carry bags for a while like most people, but it really would be more convenient to just have one. e.g. if you turn up somewhere and there's a surprise trolley ban, as you say there's a load of cart bags you really wouldn't want to be carrying. I guess cart bags just tend to have more pockets and space, but I try not to carry load of stuff and pack the bag out anyway.

I have a pretty lightweight Mizuno carry bag and I could fit a whole set of waterproofs & a bottle of water in the big pocket, if required. Plenty of room for balls, tees, gloves, valuables etc. in the other pocket.

Not sure if some folk are just carrying all golf stuff that they own, including a years supply of balls, in these big cart bags, but it's fairly pointless.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I have a pretty lightweight Mizuno carry bag and I could fit a whole set of waterproofs & a bottle of water in the big pocket, if required. Plenty of room for balls, tees, gloves, valuables etc. in the other pocket.

Not sure if some folk are just carrying all golf stuff that they own, including a years supply of balls, in these big cart bags, but it's fairly pointless.

Have to admit in the summer or basically when trolleys are allowed I have a little cooler bag over the handle with drinks in

That suddenly makes my hybrid bag hold as much as a cart bag

Ready to carry at a moment's notice