Northumberland golf

rosecott

Money List Winner
Visit site
Playing Goswick, Dunstanburgh Castle and Brancepath Castle Tuesday to Thursday next week.

Any expert tips?

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Fabulous selection.

I played Dunstanburgh recently, first time in a long time so it was like playing new. There were a few holes that had dips in front of the green or the green wasn't necessarily visible and had some tricks. Take the yardage to the front / centre or take a walk forwards to see the shot clearly. I left a few short and felt very much wise after the event.

I haven't played Goswick, and Brancepeth is all clear in front of you.

Enjoy, 3 crackers.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
It's a nice course but will be softer underfoot than the other two. Brancepeth Castle, next to the 9th hole is where "Come into the Garden, Maude" was written by Alf Tennyson. I would imagine you'll be whistling it as you play the hole.
I didn't know that. When I'm playing there next year, opens are a steal there, I'll remember that and whistle it, badly, 😄

Backache

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Played Goswick and Dunstanburgh last week. Hope you get less wind than we did at Dunstanburgh it was a bit of a joke at times with balls blowing off greens.

No tips really though there are a few blind shots on both courses , just enjoy them. Goswick is the best new course to me that I've played all year and Dunstanburgh was good fun.
I've stayed in the Castle at Brancepeth but never played the course. Looks good though.

KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Playing Goswick, Dunstanburgh Castle and Brancepath Castle Tuesday to Thursday next week.

Any expert tips?
Enjoy it. I've only played Goswick, love it.
The first hole is a challenge. Aim for the biggest bush beyond the end of the fairway, take a bogey and move on.

2blue

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

Any expert tips?
No special advice but I believe you've got 3 of the very best there.
With Goswick an outstanding Championship links, Dunstanburgh the next best in that region & Brancepeth the best parkland course in the county of Durham & where, at the 15th, I got my one & only Hole-in-one 10 years ago.
Have a great trip.

moogie

Tour Winner
Visit site
My twopenneth worth

I love goswick
Best course in the northumberland county

I dislike dunstanburgh Castle
Ooohhh controversial I know
Too many holes for my liking on the front 9 where you don't know where you're either hitting at off tee, or to green, and few where you don't see ball land after tee shot
But back 9 is fine

Brancepeth is really nice course
With love it or hate them, back to back signature par 3s in the middle of round

I'm sure you will enjoy👍

sweaty sock

Hacker
Visit site
As a general rule, the best miss at Dunstanburgh is right, the best miss at goswick is left... brancepeth, bit of a slog in comparison...

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
As a general rule, the best miss at Dunstanburgh is right, the best miss at goswick is left... brancepeth, bit of a slog in comparison...
With the weather we have had recently, allowing for it being a parkland course, I would definitely be playing there of the yellow tees. Do that and they will be okay.

rosecott

Money List Winner
Visit site
How did it go? What did you think of the different courses?

Great week. All 3 courses were superb despite the 40 mph wind. I was humbled by all 3 courses as the wind seemed to be in my face on every hole but I really enjoyed the experience - fantastic scenery on every course. The par 3s on Brancepeth were something else.