North Wales Golf

Cheifi0

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I have been looking at playing in a few more opens next year and since I have never swung a club in anger in Wales I thought it was about time that I made a trip. I don't want to take any holiday so it would have to be over a weekend. The 2 that I have seen are Conwy 2 medal rounds on the 22nd of July or Aberdovy have a individual round on the 14th. It will be an overnight trip so will be looking to play a couple of courses.

I don't really know the area at all so if you were planning a trip which courses are not to be missed in North Wales?

D

Deleted member 1740

Aberdovey is mid wales, its a nice drive but id say a good 4hr drive for you if not 5. If you're going to aberdovey id definitely play royal st davids aswell whilst your there.

Nefyn is sound and Porthmadog is another decent one if you go that far down. If you just wanna do North wales then your best bet would be to play North Wales GC and Conwy GC.

I know Conwy have an open in may usially sunday and im sure North wales have one the day before.

shortgame

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Aberdovey and St.Davids for mid-Wales, both great

N.Wales - for me, I'd say Nefyn is a must play for pure enjoyment. Porthmadog is really a course of 2 halves (front 9 is bland and not links, back 9 is pure links and superb)

Roops

Head Pro
Visit site
Aberdovey and St.Davids for mid-Wales, both great

N.Wales - for me, I'd say Nefyn is a must play for pure enjoyment. Porthmadog is really a course of 2 halves (front 9 is bland and not links, back 9 is pure links and superb)

Totally agree with the above. Nefyn has some quirky holes, but on a nice day it is absolutely stunning. Same for Porthmadog, front 9 is erm....rubbish. Back 9 is superb. Can't remember the hole number, but it is a driveable par four (11, 12 or 13). Beach on the left, hole sweeps right to left uphill, absoultely lovely. Rest of the back 9 is equally great, just be aware that some of the blind tee shots need someone out front spotting as the alignment posts are useless. Enjoy.

Liverbirdie

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Yup, all the better ones have been mentioned.

I think Royal St davids is way too high in the top 100, but want to return again, to check it out.

Conwy (great toast:thup:)is the best of the Llandudno courses IMO.

Llanymynech near Shrewsbury is nice also, 15 holes in Wales and 3 in England (in case you get home sick:D).

I wouldn't say that Aberdovey is worth a 5 hour drive.

Last edited:

shortgame

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Nefyn has some quirky holes, but on a nice day it is absolutely stunning
Absolutely, have played better quality courses but nowhere that is as much pure FUN

Porthmadog, front 9 is erm....rubbish. .
I was being diplomatic 😅
Yeah, we wondered what all the fuss was and then we crossed over to the 10th... WOW

Back 9 is superb. Can't remember the hole number, but it is a driveable par four (11, 12 or 13). Beach on the left, hole sweeps right to left uphill, absoultely lovely

12th I think, great hole 😍

D

Deleted member 21258

Conwy is a good course, played it a few times and not to long or tough, some really good holes and the scenery is brilliant, you can see puffin island to Llandudno to the hills behind, it is surrounded by great views. Also good views of the course from inside the clubhouse.

Not played but heard prestatyn is a nice course ?

gojrno1

Hacker
Visit site
Bull Bay on Anglesey is a good test, they have an open week, usually the first week in August. I think it's around £15 (includes green fee) for visitors to play in the open comps.

Doh

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Conwy is a good course, played it a few times and not to long or tough, some really good holes and the scenery is brilliant, you can see puffin island to Llandudno to the hills behind, it is surrounded by great views. Also good views of the course from inside the clubhouse.

Not played but heard prestatyn is a nice course ?

Played it this year for the first time I prefer it to North Wales but not all that memorable.

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
Bull Bay on Anglesey is a good test, they have an open week, usually the first week in August. I think it's around £15 (includes green fee) for visitors to play in the open comps.

I played in their open a couple of years ago on a windy day, nice course with some excellent holes, bar the second hole I think where the fairway tapers down to nothing.

Angelsey in itself is a great golfing destination, there are quite a few courses and they do (or did) a special rate meaning you could play several courses at very good rates.

dewsweeper

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Prestatyn for me,greatly underrated in my view.
Other courses mentioned I rate Conway highly and also North Wales,less played than Conway but really no e to play

Cheifi0

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Aberdovey is mid wales, its a nice drive but id say a good 4hr drive for you if not 5. If you're going to aberdovey id definitely play royal st davids aswell whilst your there.

Nefyn is sound and Porthmadog is another decent one if you go that far down. If you just wanna do North wales then your best bet would be to play North Wales GC and Conwy GC.

I know Conwy have an open in may usially sunday and im sure North wales have one the day before.

I think the one in May is for single handicappers only.

Thank you for all the replies. I think I have settled on playing in the open on the 22nd of July and play North Wales or Prestatyn on the Saturday. I will save a trip to Mid wales for another time.