South Wales Golf

94tegsi

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Hi Guys, just looking for some guidance. I’ll be in South Wales next weekend and looking to play on Sunday… any one have any suggestions of which course to play? I was thinking of one of Pennard, Ashburnham or Machynys Peninusla… any suggestions welcome! Thanks guys.

D

Deleted member 31467

Ashburnham isn't in good condition this year, Pennard is very rarely in good condition as it is just too rugged. Personally I would go for Machynys and it should be easy enough to get a time on a Sunday.

94tegsi

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Thanks Wullie. Im going to see if my playing partner is interested in Royal Porthcawl but he is a more casual golfer so likely wont want to pay the green fee. If there are any others in the area you recommend over Machynys that would be appreciated also. Thanks again.

D

Deleted member 31467

Other options are Southerndown and you may consider Tenby but it is a long drive down there. Town is lovely though for a walk around and food/drink while there. Plenty of parkland options as well, Celtic Manor courses, St Pierre, The Vale, Newport, Clyne. The Glamorganshire on the outskirts of Cardiff is enjoyable.

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
Machynys gets very boggy after prolonged rain, although in good condition generally. Tees and greens will be good regardless, although what's in between won't.

Ashburnham and Pennard are worth the experience even if their condition is not excellent. (I've played neither this year) I'd be playing one ood these two regardless of condition... unless they've tinned the greens recently)

Southerndown is quirky and well worth playing. The good holes at P&K are excellent, the others fairly ordinary, but worth a game.

Depends on where you are staying in relation to the courses.

Porthcawl is excellent, but it depends on your budget.

Celtic Manor is already mucky.

I could sign you in at Newport, but I'm not sure where I'll be next weekend yet!

94tegsi

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I’m staying in St David’s and travelling back to the midlands on Sunday, so am open to anywhere really on that route back. Lots of good options though, thanks guys

need_my_wedge

Has Now Found His Wedgie
Visit site
We played Pennard and Machynys two years back, thought Pennard was an absolutely cracking track and highly enjoyable with stunning views from the "links in the sky". Machynys was OK, would not choose it over Pennard.

sunshine

Visit site
I’ve not played Machynys, but I wouldn’t be looking at parkland courses when you can play them at home.

If you’re in the midlands why would you miss out on the chance to play some links. For me it would be Porthcawl or pennard depending on budget. Have fun!

94tegsi

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Convinced him Porthcawl was worth the extra…. Although weather looking like it could be difficult playing conditions tomorrow!

94tegsi

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Well it was a 2-3 club wind all day but the rain held off and we both thoroughly enjoyed the course! Lovely place.