North vs South match - checking interest

HeftyHacker

Visit site
I'd be interested in this if I can get the dates to work. Lancashire based so I'm another vote for Preston or Lancaster as host venue...
Or...

Pleasington? Superior course to Preston in my opinion and about 10 mins off the M6. Local accommodation might not be as forthcoming though.

Liverbirdie

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Will take that under advisement. Thanks for the insight.
Would you be interested in playing?

I'm a possible.

It's more who goes rather than the course/area for me if I'm being honest. Even 5 years ago there would have been 10-15 or more from the NW alone and a good few of the regular southern H4H guys well interested, but that core of people arent here anymore, unless they just look in now and dont post.

This seems to have left a vacuum on the forum, and fair play for some potentially stepping up to the plate and trying to get something started. BUT who knows maybe in 5 years all the newbies will be best buddies and a new era may have started.

Make Bluewolf or StuC a northern captain, Captain Ron a Southern one - will be 30 a side, minimum, mark my words.:cool:

Good luck, no matter. (y)

evemccc

Visit site
Silloth AND Southerness - as a double-headed / Home and Away?

Edit: it’s a decent drive from anywhere, so day 1 drive to Course A, lunch, afternoon tee-time, overnight, day 2 morning round on Course B, lunch and depart — only 1 night needed (which it would be anyway in most cases if it were 1 round only)

Last edited:

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
Ha ha true, Silloth is a great shout. Played it at a GM meet years ago and the weather was treacherous :eek:

Even the Geordies wore bobble hats!

Silloth AND Southerness - as a double-headed / Home and Away?

Edit: it’s a decent drive from anywhere, so day 1 drive to Course A, lunch, afternoon tee-time, overnight, day 2 morning round on Course B, lunch and depart — only 1 night needed (which it would be anyway in most cases if it were 1 round only)

Blimey. I think he's got it!

rosecott

Money List Winner
Visit site
I’d happily go to forest pines

This is from only 3 or 4 years ago. 48 players from all over the place, but how many of them seldom appear posting on here now?

BETTERBALL MATCHES: PINES & BEECHES 13.44

MATCH 1 SMIFFY & RAY TAYLOR v KRAXX68 & RADBOURNE2010
MATCH 2 BLUE IN MUNICH & CHRISD v MOOGIE & TOPOFTHEFLOP
MATCH 3 LEFTIE & NORMAN PORRITT v KHAMELION & VIRTUOCITY
MATCH 4 TWINMAN & CROW v BEEZERK & 94TEGSI
MATCH 5 TEEGIRL & JOHN GLOVER v IMURG & JOBR1850
MATCH 6 LOUISE A & GRUMPYJOCK v DANDO & CRAIG MACHIN
MATCH 7 OL' FART & HEAVY GREBO v STEVEW86 & ARRON MACHIN
MATCH 8 DHAN & FISH v GB72 & LETITRIP
MATCH 9 MARK LANGLEY SOUTER & FRAGGER v JATES12 & JIMBOH
MATCH 10 ANOTHER DOUBLE & DAVE FOSTER v MERVSWERVE & SLOWHAND
MATCH 11 2BLUE & CG26 v BADGER & BRENC
MATCH 12 ROSECOTT & GORDON TAYLOR v BUTCHERCD & LINCOLNSHEP

IanM

Journeyman Pro
Close House have come back with this, (1st May to 15th October) – Sunday to Thursday arrival @ £240pp / Friday or Saturday arrival @ £280pp

Package 1 – 1 Night 2 Round

• 1 Nights accommodation in a shared twin or double bedroom

• 3 Course evening meal

• Full English Breakfast

• 1 Round on the Colt Course

• 1 Round on the Filly Course

Doesn't strike me as amazing value unless someone knows better! (Although just checked their website, and it says green fee is £200 on the Colt in summer... surely no one pays that? Or is this better than my perception (I am thinking Celtic Manor / Belfry level? Is that incorrect?)

Come to Wales and you can get miles better for a fraction of that!

Bratty

Princess Pouty (Queen of Fish Lips)
Visit site
Close House have come back with this, (1st May to 15th October) – Sunday to Thursday arrival @ £240pp / Friday or Saturday arrival @ £280pp

Package 1 – 1 Night 2 Round

• 1 Nights accommodation in a shared twin or double bedroom

• 3 Course evening meal

• Full English Breakfast

• 1 Round on the Colt Course

• 1 Round on the Filly Course

Doesn't strike me as amazing value unless someone knows better! (Although just checked their website, and it says green fee is £200 on the Colt in summer... surely no one pays that? Or is this better than my perception (I am thinking Celtic Manor / Belfry level? Is that incorrect?)

Come to Wales and you can get miles better for a fraction of that!
Great stuff. Will add that to the options. Thanks, @IanM.
But Wales isn't somewhere that Northerners OR Southerners want to travel to! 😉

moogie

Tour Winner
Visit site
Close house don't have the accommodation to take a huge group, so if numbers are big, that could be an issue
The courtyard rooms are top class, but in answer to previous question......£200 green fee!!!
Ain't heard of anybody paying that, way higher than anything else in this county.

Most people would play the venue on the 2 round stay over deal
But even that price is way higher than last year

IanM

Journeyman Pro
I think I would def make the very long journey to Silloth and southerners. Not played either.

Both are £80 a round midweek this summer. Even the Premier Inns and Travelodges near Carlisle are £70 and up these days. The deal at Close House is looking better, but I bet their courses are nowhere as good

chico

Club Champion
Visit site
I would love to go to a meet like this. Very date dependent for me though. Would need to be a weekend or the kids off school. I'm just north of Glasgow.
As regards venue I got an email from McDonald's Hotels who seem to be doing deals one night two rounds at Hill Valley or Portal circa£150.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Both are £80 a round midweek this summer. Even the Premier Inns and Travelodges near Carlisle are £70 and up these days. The deal at Close House is looking better, but I bet their courses are nowhere as good
Funny enough there was a meet on the cards in 2019 at these. I think I'd even booked my accommodation,lockdown put paid to it though.

Crazyface

Tour Winner
Visit site
Why not find a good course (it doesn't have to be one thats rated in the top 100) that's near a PI that is walking distance from all amenities (pubs/curry houses) May I suggest Southport on a Sunday? (Yes I realise people will have to get the Monday off) PI will be cheap. Plenty of courses to choose from that are perfectly acceptable.

Just saying this as I've been checking Southport myself for a trip there. In fact I've got the lads golf trip booked in. We've in the TRavelodge as it's cheaper for a two day stay.