North vs South - Nottingham Area - Sat 31st October 09

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
Not sure what the answer is but do feel there is a bias towards northern based courses and a move further south would be appreciated by a lot of us based in the soft south

Why not alternate? sping meeting southish and autumn meeting northish
or........this year northish and next year southish
Personally, I'd rather see lots of regional get togethers and one biggy a year in the summer, long nights.
Arrive at the venue about 2 ish, 18 hole practice, followed by supper and a few shandies.
Comp the next morning prizes and off home. Perfick :D

Meady

Club Champion
Visit site
Oh, by the way, since I'm technically on top of this course, I'm happy to be classed as a southerner if they're short on numbers.

EchtLoon

Challenge Tour Pro
www.thehomeofpoker.co.uk
Not sure what the answer is but do feel there is a bias towards northern based courses and a move further south would be appreciated by a lot of us based in the soft south
"Northern" courses are not in the Midlands Homer.

There seems to be a proclivity among those in the far south of the country, to see a skewed map of the UK, it's almost as if Britain runs from Brighton to Manchester and then stops, where in actual fact, you haven't even reached half way yet.

Surely a venue in Nottigham is pretty much central (for England)? Or are you suggesting that it is ok for the north to travel a longer distance than half way, but not for those in the south to be expected to travel to a central venue?

If you have an English match, it should be somewhere around the Midlands, if you have a UK match it should be somewhere just north of the M62, that is equitable and patently fair.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I was actually happy with a Midlands venue. I think I mentioned the Belfry as being good middle ground and then the excellent track at Collingtree got a mention (which is on my personal to play list anyway).

I'd be happy with a Midland and would have thought a Birmingham (Belfry) venue would have been ideal as it is on a hub for train and car. I know the Belfry is already booked but what about other tracks like Little Aston etc? The trouble is the Midlands seems to cover an area from south of Birmingham up to Derby/Nottingham so where do you draw the line

haplesshacker

Money List Winner
mid-life-crisis-man.blogspot.co.uk
In response to Homers points.

Even last summer, it was always the northern contingent that seemed to have more forum meets than the southerners. Royal Ascot was the first big (ish) meet for the south that I'm aware of.

I was thinking that we have the RA Spring meet at the moment. Perhaps we (southerners) should organise an Autumn meet. Perhaps around the Basingstoke area. That way everyone from the West Country to Kent and up to the Midlands would be able to attend relatively easily.

I'm not volunteering (just yet) but it's an idea.

Sorry to hijack the OP. But I thought that it's impossible to please everyone, and maybe the south were feeling a bit hard done by!

Back to the North / South game.

To far for me for the day. Though I did used to do these trips in one day as a rep. Not sure if I could play a round of golf as well though.

Good luck with it.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Actually its a lot longer than that to travel to Collingtree. I was only trying to moot ideas about. It seems most of the northern contignent seem reluctant to consider anything further south than the Belfry it might be that we'll have to look at something Autumnal for the South and South Western contingents. I'll have a look into various venues although I'm not keen to run it

KeefG

Journeyman Pro
www.maywoodgolfclub.com
To be perfectly honest, if none of the Southern contingent dont fancy the trip then thats fine, we'll just change it to a normal game, not North vs South or anything just a plain old forum meet and the Southern contingent can organise their own.

I'm not going to shift a North vs South game to 50 miles outside of London as thats just ridiculous. Leicester isnt that far for all concerned, but if it is, then arrange your own game.

Having a pop because we Northerners are having all the fun is a bit pathetic to be honest, if there isnt enough games for you guys then organise some, I'm hardly going to organise a game in Devon now am I?

Midnight

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Hi mate,

lets not take all this to personal, as you said you can never please everyone, I think the point is it may be too far for some people, but that is why we keep arranging more and more meets so that everyone can hopefully get to a few.

I hope you all have a great day and even though I now live down south, I hope the north win.

Cheers

Midnight...

centuryg5

Head Pro
Visit site
Hi mate,

lets not take all this to personal, as you said you can never please everyone, I think the point is it may be too far for some people, but that is why we keep arranging more and more meets so that everyone can hopefully get to a few.

I hope you all have a great day and even though I now live down south, I hope the north win.

Cheers

Midnight...
well said, midnight Keef, get on with it lad, I will let you know if i can make it, mate,Don't call it North v South new title..... Skinnies v Fatties :D :D :D

centuryg5

Head Pro
Visit site
Re: North vs South - Nottingham Area - Sat 31st October 09

or say you're off 25 and start eagling holes... ;)

...Just kidding . :p

They were both Net eagles so not that bad.......

ROFL!!! Ah well that makes it all better then ;)

I have already sent Vig a PM volunteering a recount on my result as I got home to find I had been cut to 23

The actions of a guilty bandit no less! :D [/quote So the result may and i stress may be flawed,Yorkshire Puds using different h/caps bit of scull duggery, me thinks eh boncey lar :D :D

vig

Tour Winner
Visit site

or say you're off 25 and start eagling holes... ;)

...Just kidding . :p

They were both Net eagles so not that bad.......

ROFL!!! Ah well that makes it all better then ;)

I have already sent Vig a PM volunteering a recount on my result as I got home to find I had been cut to 23

The actions of a guilty bandit no less! :D [/quote So the result may and i stress may be flawed,Yorkshire Puds using different h/caps bit of scull duggery, me thinks eh boncey lar :D :D

Actually Bill, he was on your side. :D

The score stands, I have PM'd him back. He had a cut that he didn't find out about until Monday. I have no problem with that.

vig

Tour Winner
Visit site

Just to throw something else in the mix.

I know some of the Scottish boys wanted to paly the Belfry in August but in the middle of the holiday period and costs would be quite high with the addition of the gallons of "juice" that would need to be consumed but.....

How about an "overnighter" at the Belfry?
They do some cracking offers out of season.
TonyN & myself had a overnighter. B&B + EM and 2 rounds for £79 (correct me if i'm wrong T)

If "we" just did the 2 rounds & B&B and all went "out" to eat and drink in the evening (Belfry ale isn't cheap) it wouldn't cost that much.

So, how about it?

KeefG

Journeyman Pro
www.maywoodgolfclub.com

Thats virtually the same deal we had in early march Vig....£99 and we played the PGA on Wednesday, overnight stay with breakfast, then the Brabazon on Thursday.

I'd deffo be up for that again!

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site

Happy to meet up again anywhere. What about an overnighter further North at some stage which may even give the Scottish lads a chance to join in.

theeaglehunter

Tour Winner
Visit site

I'm not sure about whether or not I'm available etc as I'm in America towards the end of October although not exactly sure when! However I am interested if this go's ahead.

I don't think people should fall out over a location...as Keef said you just can't please everyone. I would like it on my doorstep but being too lazy to organise anything its not going to happen any time soon! Its commendable of you for organising it Keef so at the end of the day you should choose the venue and then gauge the levels of interest generated from people ability to get there. If it is sufficient than go ahead with it. I would however recommend Leciester / Peterborough/ Walsall territory (I think they are about the same distance 'up' the country if my geography serves me correctly) if you were to get the maximum number of North / South participants. As I say though, your decision you have to organise it so run with what you think. I'm interested either way.