North vs South - Nottingham Area - Sat 31st October 09

KeefG

Journeyman Pro
www.maywoodgolfclub.com
Re: North vs South - Nottingham Area - Sat 31st October 09

Out of interest why does it still have to be that far north - why not a bit further down to encourage guys who live way down on the south coast, west country etc.

I'm sure the course is a challenge etc but I know from speaking with guys like HTL and others that for us to travel up its a fairly long road trip on the day (not then conducive to going out and playing good golf) or an overnighter which adds to the cost and causes domestic problems. Its then either a quick getway after or another overnighter to enjoy the meal/drinks

I'm not trying to be difficult, just expressing an opinion and voicing questions that myself and others have all mentioned when we've talked about joining in these events.

Ok, so say we shift it to say Northampton area, what about people who want to come from somewhere like Glasgow or Newcastle?

Geographically the centre of the country to make it fair for absolutely everyone is around Leeds/Sheffield so i'd say that Ramsdale is pretty fair to be honest.

Timberbonce

Head Pro
Visit site

If one further south was posted and some one offered to invite us down i would probably be up for that one too...

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site

Out of interest why does it still have to be that far north - why not a bit further down to encourage guys who live way down on the south coast, west country etc.

I'm sure the course is a challenge etc but I know from speaking with guys like HTL and others that for us to travel up its a fairly long road trip on the day (not then conducive to going out and playing good golf) or an overnighter which adds to the cost and causes domestic problems. Its then either a quick getway after or another overnighter to enjoy the meal/drinks

I'm not trying to be difficult, just expressing an opinion and voicing questions that myself and others have all mentioned when we've talked about joining in these events.

I am really pleased with the choice of destination, not many other meets in the Midlands (Belfry excluded). I have been up to Yorkshire and no doubt that now I have a taste for forum meets I will quite happily travel down South. Nottingham is within a couple of hours of most of the lads who played on Sunday and is easy to reach from London and all but the most extreme of the South within a similar timescale.

Timberbonce

Head Pro
Visit site

Surely it would take you longer to get to the belfry that it would up to Notts.... The traffic is a pig round there.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Nottingham's nearly 2 hours from me in Bucks - I know this coz HID used to live there.
Might be up for it but a little closer would be easier for us down here. Maybe Collingtree at Northampton? Just off the M1 so easy to get to. Never played it so I don't know how good or bad it is but I reckon you'd get a better response from the South.

KeefG

Journeyman Pro
www.maywoodgolfclub.com
I hear what you're saying fella, but Northampton is only 50 odd miles north of London, is that then fair to the Northern massive???

If enough Southerners express an interest in playing if it was further South then we could move it but i'm not going to then shaft the Northerners with a longer journey, so at a push i'd say the furthest South we would entertain is Leicester ish.

Leicester then leaves a good 3-4hr drive from Newcastle but would almost certainly rule out any Scots involvement which isnt entirely fair on them.

You can please some of the people all of the time, and all of the people some of the time.......

Timberbonce

Head Pro
Visit site

Newcastle to Notts= 159 miles 2 hours 56 mins

London to Notts = 128 miles, 2 hours 33 mins

Google map.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
This is always going to be the problem setting up a "national" meet.

Don't get me wrong, I'm all for it and Leicesterish wouldn't be too far away. But with a large chunk of the Southern Chapter down in Kent, anywhere North of NHampton is going to be tricky.

Don't envy you mate! But I'll try to get there....

Timberbonce

Head Pro
Visit site

Looking at the spread on the map with the pins in i'd say leicester is probably about as in the middle as you could get. not that far from Nottingham but nearer the middle all the same.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site

London to Notts may be closer geographically but you have to factor in things like M25 or M1 for a lot of those coming up which will add time if not miles.

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site

Surely the idea of these meets is to have them all over the place and if one is too far away then there is bound to be one nearer in the future. Certainly do not hear the nortern lads complaining that slot of meets are in the south or the scots complaining that the big gl meet is in the midlands. I for one am looking forward to some meets further up in the northeast and northwest so as I can play some of the great lads I met yesterday on their home turf and have a decent excuse to stay over on the beers. There is no way to please everyone so if someone is good enough to volunteer to arrange a meet either go or don't go and if you cannot make the journey then so be it.

EchtLoon

Challenge Tour Pro
www.thehomeofpoker.co.uk
STOP

As I am not involved in playing here, a little adjudication:

Centre of England: Fenny Bridge, Leicestershire
Centre of UK: Dunsop Bridge, Lancashire

CARRY ON

haplesshacker

Money List Winner
mid-life-crisis-man.blogspot.co.uk
STOP

As I am not involved in playing here, a little adjudication:

Centre of England: Fenny Bridge, Leicestershire
Centre of UK: Dunsop Bridge, Lancashire

CARRY ON

How are you measuring that? By land mass, population concentration / mass, by the number of golf courses........by Irn Bru sales!! ;)

You can't make a claim like that and not quantify it. :p

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
GB72

I agree up to a point but I'm a one car family at te moment and so can't realistically take the car away from HID for a whole weekend. I'd love to make these meets but I'm reliant on others giving me a lift and in most cases these northern venues would probably make it an overnighter.

I'm not advocating a move down south but if you add in the Kent and Essex boys have at least 50-70 miles before the 200+ mentioned to the southern most of the Midland venues it does make it either a really long drive and not conducive to good golf or an overnighter.

Actually there were a lot of complaints about the GM Spring Meet being held in Ascot to the preculsion of Scttish and Northen members but since then we have had North vs South at Whittington, England v Scotland (venue ideal for both parties but I'd prefer an alternatle English and Scottish venue going forward) and the NE v NW. All of have been difficult for southern based golfers (I know there are those that can and have made the effort).

Not sure what the answer is but do feel there is a bias towards northern based courses and a move further south would be appreciated by a lot of us based in the soft south