Any Interest - Saunton East/West & Royal North Devon - March / April 2020

• Thread starter Deleted member 21258
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 21258

Just thought I would post up what I was looking at and the information I had received via email/then confirm just now on phone.

I was thinking:-

March Prices..
Friday.......Royal North Devon £40.00 including coffee/bacon rolls and one course meal
Saturday..Saunton West
Sunday.....Saunton East Course combined price £110 per player (could get first 3 guests in at combined price £60 per player to reduce prices a bit)

April Prices
Friday...... Royal North Devon £45.00 including coffee/bacon rolls and one course meal
Saturday...Saunton West
Sunday.....Saunton East Course combined price £130 per player (could get first 3 guests in at combined price £70 per player to reduce prices a bit)

Food at Saunton for a two course meal is £15 per head and a one course meal is £9.50 (both include coffee), this is no cheaper than menu prices tbh.

Not sure that there will be any interested at those prices ?, shame as RND came up with a good price. County card people maybe a bit cheaper as well at Saunton, as they do county card rates earlier in the year.

Hopefully the above all makes sense, if there is some interest, may go back to Saunton and try again , as got nothing to lose;)

D

Deleted member 25172

Just thought I would post up what I was looking at and the information I had received via email/then confirm just now on phone.

I was thinking:-

March Prices..
Friday.......Royal North Devon £40.00 including coffee/bacon rolls and one course meal
Saturday..Saunton West
Sunday.....Saunton East Course combined price £110 per player (could get first 3 guests in at combined price £60 per player to reduce prices a bit)

April Prices
Friday...... Royal North Devon £45.00 including coffee/bacon rolls and one course meal
Saturday...Saunton West
Sunday.....Saunton East Course combined price £130 per player (could get first 3 guests in at combined price £70 per player to reduce prices a bit)

Food at Saunton for a two course meal is £15 per head and a one course meal is £9.50 (both include coffee), this is no cheaper than menu prices tbh.

Not sure that there will be any interested at those prices ?, shame as RND came up with a good price. County card people maybe a bit cheaper as well at Saunton, as they do county card rates earlier in the year.

Hopefully the above all makes sense, if there is some interest, may go back to Saunton and try again , as got nothing to lose;)

I am!

dronfield

Visit site
Yes! No massive urge to play RND again, but Saunton is deffo! (you could even play Burnham on the way down! :whistle:

Ian - i have read elsewhere that RND had a "marmite" reaction on folk who have played it. We were down there last year on hol and called in for lunch/walked some of the holes - staff really friendly and loved the historic stuff in the clubhouse.It is a course I have always wanted to play, due to its history etc - as someone who has played it, what didnt you like about it?

Would also like to play the two Saunton courses - only ever read good things about them.

Rich

D

Deleted member 21258

Ian - i have read elsewhere that RND had a "marmite" reaction on folk who have played it. We were down there last year on hol and called in for lunch/walked some of the holes - staff really friendly and loved the historic stuff in the clubhouse.It is a course I have always wanted to play, due to its history etc - as someone who has played it, what didnt you like about it?

Would also like to play the two Saunton courses - only ever read good things about them.

Rich

Saunton is great, more so on a nice still day.;)

RND never played but it is the oldest club and still basically playing on its original routing IIRC and I course I would like to play. I believe(may have made the rest of this sentence up) Richart is a great fan of RND and its reeds, as well as the big boss MH:LOL:

If there isn't enough interest, I may look at organising a mini meet, and rates at Saunton will be a lot cheaper than the above due to guest rates applying.

D

Deleted member 25172

No matter the size of the meet I’m interested. Have wanted to play all 3 of them for quite some time now. And if someone else would be interested, I’d like to tick of Burnham and Berrow if possible if we’re now gonna be in those parts of the country.

What dates are we looking at?

Weekend after Easter? 17th - 19th April?

D

Deleted member 15344

Rich
RND is very much a marmite golf course , the clubhouse is superb , full of history , it’s a great start for about 5/6 holes along the sea front but then the middle holes aren’t great , holes just placed in the middle of these reeds and it’s hard to see where to go and the definition isn’t great. Greens were good - it’s prob one to play a bit like Brancaster and the final hole is very tough but I suspect it’s top 100 because of history as opposed to the standard of the course. It’s a decent enough course and I enjoy it but it’s prob the worst links course I have played

dronfield

Visit site
RND is very much a marmite golf course , the clubhouse is superb , full of history , it’s a great start for about 5/6 holes along the sea front but then the middle holes aren’t great , holes just placed in the middle of these reeds and it’s hard to see where to go and the definition isn’t great. Greens were good - it’s prob one to play a bit like Brancaster and the final hole is very tough but I suspect it’s top 100 because of history as opposed to the standard of the course. It’s a decent enough course and I enjoy it but it’s prob the worst links course I have played

Cheers Phil, i have played a lot of links golf in Scotland, North Wales and North of England and so was curious as to why England's oldest links seemed to split opinion so much. We only walked the outward few holes that takes you to the beach, so didnt see the middle section you mention.
Thanks for the input.
Rich

richart

Major Champion
Visit site
Definitely up for this. Not a fan of RND, but a course you definitely want to play at least once. A little stop off at Burnham & Berrow would be good. Last trip we did to Saunton we played B & B on the way down.

richart

Major Champion
Visit site
3rd to 8th are great at Royal North Devon, but after that it loses its links feel. Lots of rushes you can’t see over the top of. Couple of cracking par 3’s on the back nine, but not a patch on the two Saunton course or Burnham & Berrow in my opinion.

Clubhouse is old, but not sure that means good.:whistle:

Mark Crossfield has just done a playing vlog there, so worth a watch (sound down):):)

richart

Major Champion
Visit site
No matter the size of the meet I’m interested. Have wanted to play all 3 of them for quite some time now. And if someone else would be interested, I’d like to tick of Burnham and Berrow if possible if we’re now gonna be in those parts of the country.

What dates are we looking at?

Weekend after Easter? 17th - 19th April?
You definitely want to play B & B if you can.(y)