Non conforming Driver

Five&One

Head Pro
Visit site
Someone briefly mentioned in a thread over the weekend about a poster having a 'non confirming' driver in his 'In the Bag' list on his signature.

The club type rang a bell with me so I have checked and it seems I also have a non conforming driver.

The solution appears to be that the club has to go, especially if I want to play in medals and such like later in the year.

So I will go and get fitted at some stage soon I had intended to upgrade this year anyway.

My question is, at what level can you play with a non conforming driver. Would pals object ? Would the club object ? Is it cheating or just a technical offence ? Has anyone been pulled up for it or even disqualified. I don't play any competitive golf at the moment so I assume I have a little bit leeway before I really need to get rid. Its a real bummer because I hit it really well and finding one I hit that well is not going to be easy I imagine.

srixon 1

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Not allowed in comp's, end of. However, if your mates agree to let you use it in a friendly then there is nothing to stop you from using it. But could you live with yourself knowing that you are using illegal equipment. There are probably lots of people out there completely unaware that their driver is non-conforming.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Playing with mates or other club members is normally fine. I've certainly played with guys with non-conforming Drivers. Playing in Club, or Open competitions with one is a no-no.

Modern Driver technology is such that non-conforming ones are almost certainly shorter on average, so for me it's of no consequence.

BTW. What Driver is it? There are often versions, specially TM, that have both conforming and non-conforming versions of the same model. Though it's a great excuse for a new shiney anyway!

pbrown7582

Money List Winner
Visit site
Definately not allowed in any comps, knock out abouts with your mates is entirely up to yourselves, It is a grey area in that some versions of older model clubs non confirmed and other conform.

malek988

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
if you need a new driver sharpish, and want to stay with cobra, i would highly reccommend the s2, i had the offset version in a regular shaft, brilliant club, great distance etc... they are cheap as chips now aswell

Five&One

Head Pro
Visit site
if you need a new driver sharpish, and want to stay with cobra, i would highly reccommend the s2, i had the offset version in a regular shaft, brilliant club, great distance etc... they are cheap as chips now aswell

Bought a bargain S2 offset on eBay yesterday as a medium term stop gap. Saving up for an AMP. Thanks to the chap on here who offered me a fantastic example of one yesterday, alas a few hours too late and probably more than I dare let HID see coming off the Visa card.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Its a King Cobra SZ and its definitely on the list. Might get a cheap S2 for now and save up for an AMP.

That is indeed one of the ones that has a conforming version. That has '.830' and 'Tour' on the sole while the non-conforming version has 'Hi-COR' (and the word 'Tour' is missing. I have a Tour Issued 440 that is conforming (same distinction) but, at 7.5 loft, it's not the easiest to hit straight!