Grinding a wedge.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Asked elsewhere but didn’t get an answer.
I have a wedge in my shed.
am I allowed to grind the bounce down and keep the club conforming.
it’s for bunkers that have linings in ,my 12* sw is not very good in these bunkers.

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I don’t see why not. Just a word of warning though… I had a wedge ground down once by a club builder and it rusted very quickly where it was ground away.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
it’s for bunkers that have linings in ,my 12* sw is not very good in these bunkers.

Where is your ball positioned?
If it is middle or back, that will increase the angle of attack.
Get the ball forward to at least your left heel as that will give you a shallow angle of attack and avoid the lining

Steven Rules

Visit site
As you have identified, you can only use a conforming club. (Rule 4.1a(1)). So the key question is whether it will still be conforming after you have done your home-made modifications. Club design is complex, as are the Equipment Rules.

Here is the link to the relevant section of the Equipment Rules. Maybe you will be able to determine the answer for yourself.

https://www.randa.org/roe/the-rules...s#24b-dimensions-volume-and-moment-of-inertia

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Where is your ball positioned?
If it is middle or back, that will increase the angle of attack.
Get the ball forward to at least your left heel as that will give you a shallow angle of attack and avoid the lining
Thanks Bob.
I have always been a very good bunker player.
Take a £10 note divot ball in the middle always played them like that.
in a normal bunker it’s not a problem.
most golfers are just glad to get out of them but there is just no control if you hit the lining.

I am going to use a tee from now on to determine how much sand is under the ball and change my AOA accordingly.
but it’s very off putting when you can see the fibres sticking through the sand.
these linings were installed to save money but the sand blows out because they dry out a lot quicker.

Steven Rules

Visit site
In a previous thread

https://forums.golfmonthly.com/threads/how-to-legally-test-a-bunker.112541/

we established that:

"You are permitted to probe in a bunker to determine for example whether there is a hidden obstruction , provided you do not do so in order to test the condition of the sand and do not improve the conditions affecting the stroke. See Interpretations 12.2b/2 and 8.1a/7"

rulie

Head Pro
Visit site
Yes that’s perfectly legal
For the specific purpose to determine if there is an obstruction that might interfere with your stroke. If it's done to determine the depth of the sand below your ball, it is a breach of the Rules. And doing that in every bunker would be very suspicious.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
For the specific purpose to determine if there is an obstruction that might interfere with your stroke. If it's done to determine the depth of the sand below your ball, it is a breach of the Rules. And doing that in every bunker would be very suspicious.
Yes I see there’s a difference in .
1 putting a tee to test how deep the sand is. No
2 putting a tee to see if there is a lining close to my ball . Yes

every bunker on our course has these linings.
in the outer parts the sand is ok but in the middle of almost all the bunkers you can’t avoid hitting the lining as the sand is just not deep enough.

Swango1980

Visit site
Yes I see there’s a difference in .
1 putting a tee to test how deep the sand is. No
2 putting a tee to see if there is a lining close to my ball . Yes

every bunker on our course has these linings.
in the outer parts the sand is ok but in the middle of almost all the bunkers you can’t avoid hitting the lining as the sand is just not deep enough.
Are you saying you would do this in every bunker? Or would you only be doing it when it would be considered reasonable to suspect the lining is very close to the ball?

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Are you saying you would do this in every bunker? Or would you only be doing it when it would be considered reasonable to suspect the lining is very close to the ball?
No not every one.
You can see the fibres of the lining in the sand.
that’s when you know the sand is very shallow.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

If you read the equipment rules they would only be concerned with the grooves in this instance.

One of the things you may (or may not) be concerned about is that the very outer edges would have been heat treated to produce a harder surface and grinding will remove this 'layer'.