No handicap

Lee73

Visit site
Hi all,

This maybe a silly question but I’m new to golf, I haven’t got a handicap as I’m new to golf, I had 1 round which went badly so I had a lesson which was great, since the lesson I haven’t played but been in the driving range etc and hitting a lot better so now I feel confident on playing again so I am playing a stranger tomorrow who’s handicap is 13 (obviously he will destroy me) so here goes my silly question...as I haven’t got a handicap how do I score it?, I’m not to bothered about scoring as I’m just out to get better but was just wondering.

Cheers

Andy

Tour Winner
Visit site
You add up your score on each hole and you have your gross score. Repeat 3 times and hand in your cards.

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
If you're playing a game against the stranger, explain what you've written above to him and ask him what he suggests as to what you should play off, I'd guess he'll say 28.

badgb21

Hacker
Visit site
You're new to golf, you've played one round and some range sessions.
I would put your score card away and concentrate on trying to make some good hits and looking for your ball in the rough!
Take all the advice your partner can give you.
Good luck and enjoy the start of this wonderful journey!

Last edited:

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
But watch out for the moment you think you have this game sussed.
Turn around and it'll take a massive chunk out of your backside!
Game on!

DCB

Visit site
Just go out and enjoy yourself, don't worry about the score. Go and hit some good shots and have some fun ☺

Lee73

Visit site
Yeah true...I’ll just try and enjoy it....I know I have to hand in 3 cards to get a handicap (I did join a club) do I start with today’s card or did you wait a while until you got better? Thanks for all the replies.

jusme

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
You have only played once in your life.......I would be waiting a while before I even thought of handing cards in, unless your striking the ball pretty consistently now. Your game should improve immensely over time so this is not the right time to have a handicap. When you can do the following then consider the 3 cards......Getting it roughly of the tee to a reasonable distance and on our near the fairway most of the time. When your iron strikes are towards the green and consistent distance ways. At the very least all airborne and roughly near your target. Scoring is done around the green so learn at least one basic stroke that allows you to chip a ball consistently towards your target.

In the mean time I would be enjoying learning the game through playing on the course and watching what others do.

Lee73

Visit site
Yeah I’ll take you’re advice and wait, I’ve been on the driving range and I can hit about 210 fairly straight but when I try and get further the ball goes mad!!!, but my iron shots on the range have been pretty good... using a 7 iron I can get 150 straight most of the time but I can imagine a course is totally different to a range.

badgb21

Hacker
Visit site
You can do this after one round, one lesson and some time at the range....wow!
Hummm...... Move over Mr McIlroy new world champ coming through!

Yeah I’ll take you’re advice and wait, I’ve been on the driving range and I can hit about 210 fairly straight but when I try and get further the ball goes mad!!!, but my iron shots on the range have been pretty good... using a 7 iron I can get 150 straight most of the time but I can imagine a course is totally different to a range.

Lee73

Visit site
Erm yeah I did? Why would I lie (weird) anyway I’ll ignore the idiot...just to let you know how I got on......not the best so I didn’t bother scoring I just concentrated on practising....the person I played who’s handicap was 13 was a great help I’m getting out of the bunkers a lot better thanks to him..I was hitting a lot of iron shots along the ground and couldn’t work out why until I went to the range after, at the range I rest the iron on the ground and thinking back to my round I was hovering the iron at grass level (stupid I know) but it proved to me that the range and the course are so different!!!!! I enjoyed it though.

badgb21

Hacker
Visit site
I didn't call you a liar - so be careful.
"I can hit about 210 fairly straight "
"couldn’t work out why until I went to the range after, at the range I rest the iron on the ground and thinking back to my round I was hovering the iron at grass level (stupid I know) "
.....and I'm the idiot!

I think your earlier range assessment sounded a little over overoptimistic, but God loves a trier.
Anyway the main thing is you enjoyed it! It really is great when you get a great new challenge in your life.

Seriously, I wish you well and hope you do well in the future and stick with it.

p.s. I've stood Rory down ;)

I'll get my coat!

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Go out, forget the score and enjoy it. Learn to play on the course and not the range and have fun. It's a tough learning curve and you'll get frustrated. Put the cards in when you feel comfy, not to any sort of timetable

jusme

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Erm yeah I did? Why would I lie (weird) anyway I’ll ignore the idiot...just to let you know how I got on......not the best so I didn’t bother scoring I just concentrated on practising....the person I played who’s handicap was 13 was a great help I’m getting out of the bunkers a lot better thanks to him..I was hitting a lot of iron shots along the ground and couldn’t work out why until I went to the range after, at the range I rest the iron on the ground and thinking back to my round I was hovering the iron at grass level (stupid I know) but it proved to me that the range and the course are so different!!!!! I enjoyed it though.

You have learnt the first lesson.......its not an easy game on the course. Don't be too harsh on yourself, it really is a very hard game. The only reason I play this game is down to the simple fact it can never be mastered. The moment you think it can you will be handed a harsh reminder. Enjoy the challenge it presents....nothing in sport is harder. Enjoy your good shots, try and get more consistent and accept that anything can happen on the course. If you put in the work it will offer a better game, in time. Patience is key and nothing beats playing on course

Lee73

Visit site
Yes you are an idiot and what have I got to be careful about 😂😂 anyway thanks all and yes I now understand how hard Golf is and I will enjoy learning......once again thanks for all the helpful (well most) comments.

Last edited:

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
I would recommend trying to play as much as you can rather than spending too much time at the range. For me the range can lull you into a false sense of security. You are hitting off perfect mats, with a flat lie to a 150 yard wide fairway, with no consequences to hitting a big wide. The mats can also allow some fat shots to have a reasonable contact, while out on a course you would have lifted massive chunk of earth and the ball would barely have moved. If you have the choice, definitely get out on the course as much as possible.

Matchplay with someone is a great way of keeping interest in the game and feeling like your shots really matter. If you have a bad hole, just pick up the ball and move to the next tee. Hopefully someone will be generous enough to give you plenty of shots, even without having an official handicap. Fourball is also a great format if you can get into a group with other players.

Medal play is a different animal, and in my opinion, not as enjoyable a format. Far more pressure on every shot and very easy to run up a big number over 18 holes which can be demoralising. Obviously it's a necessary evil to get your handicap and get regular competitive golf.

Lee73

Visit site
I would recommend trying to play as much as you can rather than spending too much time at the range. For me the range can lull you into a false sense of security. You are hitting off perfect mats, with a flat lie to a 150 yard wide fairway, with no consequences to hitting a big wide. The mats can also allow some fat shots to have a reasonable contact, while out on a course you would have lifted massive chunk of earth and the ball would barely have moved. If you have the choice, definitely get out on the course as much as possible.

Matchplay with someone is a great way of keeping interest in the game and feeling like your shots really matter. If you have a bad hole, just pick up the ball and move to the next tee. Hopefully someone will be generous enough to give you plenty of shots, even without having an official handicap. Fourball is also a great format if you can get into a group with other players.

Medal play is a different animal, and in my opinion, not as enjoyable a format. Far more pressure on every shot and very easy to run up a big number over 18 holes which can be demoralising. Obviously it's a necessary evil to get your handicap and get regular competitive golf.

Yeah I agree I found that out the hard way.... but great advice, think whenever I have a spare couple of hours I’m going to squeeze 9 holes in.

Cheers.