No golf again!

Smiffy

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
It's not zero sum, both are possible, however not that I am against improving conditions for frontline NHS staff, but allowing golf courses to open would have a direct cost to the government of approximately £0, giving NHS medical staff a £5k raise would cost approximately £600m annually (workings below), presumably it's easier to authorise a £0 cost action compared to a £600m cost action.

Number of NHS medical staff ~120,000
What would be a nice raise for them, maybe £5k each?
120,000 x £5,000 = £600m
I guess it depends on what you feel is more important???

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site
Ive signed the petition, I think golf is safe to be played in all honesty. You could limit groups to be even safer.

Course could do with a rest, but I could do with having something to do rather than annoy my wife. Theres only so much PGA2k a man can play.

We all know they wont make a U turn anyway, especially not for just one sport.

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
They should knock running and cycling on the head as well ... it promotes vapour propagation spreading the virus further. Also there is no necessity for it and could be done on an exercise bike or treadmill .. just saying .. in for a penny in for a pound or your either in in or out out !

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
We all know they wont make a U turn anyway, especially not for just one sport.

This is my feeling.
There was a petition a matter of weeks ago
247k signed it.
This one is saying the same thing.
They have the numbers, they have the science, they have the data.
They said No....so go with it, annoying as it may be.
Should they let us out I'll be one of the first in the queue but im not campaigning for it when the numbers are already there.

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site
This is my feeling.
There was a petition a matter of weeks ago
247k signed it.
This one is saying the same thing.
They have the numbers, they have the science, they have the data.
They said No....so go with it, annoying as it may be.
Should they let us out I'll be one of the first in the queue but im not campaigning for it when the numbers are already there.

Exactly that! Our last petition failed, its worse this time round, we have no chance :ROFLMAO:

Dibby

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I guess it depends on what you feel is more important???

Sure, but then if we're giving NHS frontline staff a raise, why not everyone else doing important jobs too?

Teachers, binmen, police, firemen, supermarket workers, lorry drivers crossing borders... The list goes on.

It's not that people think these jobs are unimportant. it's just the realism of giving everyone a raise, who pays for it?

sunshine

Visit site
We all think that golf is perfectly safe and should be allowed to continue. But when I played golf at the weekend there was a group of old boys who had parked their cars in a little circle in the car park, and were huddled in the middle chatting, drinking a beer and hugging each other. And these are people who would definitely fit into the "at risk" category.

It's sad but golf courses have to remain shut while this kind of behaviour continues. It's not just children who can't be trusted to maintain social distancing.

Mandofred

Visit site
We all think that golf is perfectly safe and should be allowed to continue. But when I played golf at the weekend there was a group of old boys who had parked their cars in a little circle in the car park, and were huddled in the middle chatting, drinking a beer and hugging each other. And these are people who would definitely fit into the "at risk" category.

It's sad but golf courses have to remain shut while this kind of behaviour continues. It's not just children who can't be trusted to maintain social distancing.
Unfortunately, it also includes the people making the rules...... We're doomed Mr Mannering.....doomed.....

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site

And you can bet those old boys will have been blaming the youth for spreading the virus.

Smiffy

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
Sure, but then if we're giving NHS frontline staff a raise, why not everyone else doing important jobs too?

Teachers, binmen, police, firemen, supermarket workers, lorry drivers crossing borders... The list goes on.

It's not that people think these jobs are unimportant. it's just the realism of giving everyone a raise, who pays for it?
As always, we do

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
In my opinion golf can be done during lockdown, if walking with a friend in a park is safe then golf is safe. The only difference is the golf but which can easily be done socially distances. Even singles golf could be done.

The real discussion should not be around the safety as we all know golf is essentially safe.

The reason why golf should not be allowed is because other sports are not allowed, those which are not safe to do during lockdown. Golf is seen as elitist already, we don’t need another division, another reason to seperate golf as for those who “have”. These petitions seem to me to be driving the division already, making golfers seem petty and non golfers will view any success as down to the well off getting their way again.

If we really want golf to flourish as a sport in the future we need to accept the postponement of golf during lockdown.
Exactly this. We all know golf is the safest sport you can play since it's outdoors with no physical contact, but they have to tar all sports with one brush. If you allow golf the tennis players will be kicking up a fuss asking why they can't play. Then you allow that, you have other sports players moaning about theirs. It has to be a blanket ban on sports or you just have everybody kicking off and making it difficult.

It does make golfers in general look a bit silly when everyone won't stop moaning about how we should be allowed to play. Nothing will change anyway it just makes golfers look like a bunch of whiners. I think it would be potentially even worse if golf was the only sport that was allowed - imagine the complaints and resentment that we get preferential treatment! As you say, that would really promote the 'elitist' stereotype.

CliveW

Tour Winner
Visit site
It's a bit ironic that although us lucky scots can still play during lockdown, our course is closed due to "Very slippery conditions."

dPrkH63.jpg

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site

If that was me as a member I'd be reporting their behaviour and expecting the club to take action. Totally irresponsible

Golfnut1957

Visit site

Those "old" boys will be somewhere else today huddled around drinking beer and hugging because that is who they are, a golf club doesn't define them.

Talking of which, I'm off to the local park later with a club and some balls for my exercise. I won't be playing golf because that is a game played within defined parameters. No, I'll just hit some balls as part of my outdoor exercise. I might even invite a friend to join me, he can bring a club too.

hovis

Tour Winner
Visit site
Those "old" boys will be somewhere else today huddled around drinking beer and hugging because that is who they are, a golf club doesn't define them.

Talking of which, I'm off to the local park later with a club and some balls for my exercise. I won't be playing golf because that is a game played within defined parameters. No, I'll just hit some balls as part of my outdoor exercise. I might even invite a friend to join me, he can bring a club too.

Perhaps you could drill a hole In the ground too! Perhaps put something in it so you can see where it is. A flag would be good I recon ?

Golfnut1957

Visit site
Perhaps you could drill a hole In the ground too! Perhaps put something in it so you can see where it is. A flag would be good I recon ?
I like your thinking. The only problem is that it would start to resemble golf which is banned, while hitting a ball with a stick in a public place is not.