No golf again!

D

Deleted member 3432

The problem with the government's response has been the inconsistency of the rules. This fishing thing is just the latest example of many.

The fact that you can't walk to a golf course you live next door to and play 3,6,9 holes on your own, but you can drive to a river / pond / lake and sit 6 feet from other anglers just defies logic. Particularly as fishing has opened due to it being a form of 'exercise'. If we don't keep score, can it be a general exercise, rather than a sport?

Have no issue with golf being closed if other activities which are equally likely (or more - playgrounds) are also closed. However, it feels a weird and specific targeting against a 'posh' sport on PR grounds, rather than anything backed up by scientific proof.

Even crazier than elite sport continues despite all these football teams reporting positive tests.

Just plain stupid.

D

Deleted member 15344

Certainly a club I know in Rutland wrote to all members without an LE15 (Rutland) postcode and advised that they could not use the facilities whilst Rutland was in a lower Tier than those surrounding that the members lived in.
We did the same when we were in a different Tier to some people that lived in Luton - they were at one stage restricted about entering the clubhouse

Dibby

Assistant Pro
Visit site
On the topic of fishing, the statement from the government is:

“fishing is allowed as exercise so long as participants adhere to the rules on staying local, gathering limits, social distancing and limiting the time spent outdoors”

Curious how you fish and limit the time spent outdoors? Maybe just got for a quick 15 minute fishing session? Take some kind of tent/cabin/shed with you?

Seems a bit contradictory.

hovis

Tour Winner
Visit site
The fact that you can't walk to a golf course you live next door to and play 3,6,9 holes on your own, but you can drive to a river / pond / lake and sit 6 feet from other anglers just defies logic

You don't fish do you?. I have never in 30 years of fishing seen a peg 12ft apart from each other never mind 6ft.
Fishing is not exactly a social sport. You might look across and say "nice fish jim". But that's about it. You most certainly get closer to another person on the tee box

hovis

Tour Winner
Visit site
On the topic of fishing, the statement from the government is:

Curious how you fish and limit the time spent outdoors? Maybe just got for a quick 15 minute fishing session? Take some kind of tent/cabin/shed with you?

Seems a bit contradictory.
There is no limit to exercise like there was in March. However, night fishing is not allowed

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
You don't fish do you?. I have never in 30 years of fishing seen a peg 12ft apart from each other never mind 6ft.
Fishing is not exactly a social sport. You might look across and say "nice fish jim". But that's about it. You most certainly get closer to another person on the tee box
The point is that could if you wanted to...playing golf we've been keeping the 2m all year.
There will be a few more angry golfers if fishing is allowed and golf isn't...

hovis

Tour Winner
Visit site
The point is that could if you wanted to...playing golf we've been keeping the 2m all year.
There will be a few more angry golfers if fishing is allowed and golf isn't...
Yeh, I get it. Personally I want golf to be open but can anyone say they feel robbed? January and Feb are usually a write off anyway. Be nice to have the choice though I suppose

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site
Yeh, I get it. Personally I want golf to be open but can anyone say they feel robbed? January and Feb are usually a write off anyway. Be nice to have the choice though I suppose

We've been robbed of the freedom of choice and without good reason; you've hit the nail on the head there.

Anyone who went on the first meet I organised to Littlestone in December can attest to how pleasant winter golf can be. But yeah, if it's hosing down on sub zero then I might well choose to give it a miss.

hovis

Tour Winner
Visit site
I do not! :LOL:

Point remains though that you can do if you'd like to put your 'peg' near someone else?!
You could if you wanted to but it's not the done thing. If you catch a fish it can play into your mates swim. You have twice the noise and disruption. Us anglers are a grumpy lot. We like our space.
The only exception is carp fishing. You put your rods on alarms then both sit inbetween your peg for a chat and brew.

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site
There is no limit to exercise like there was in March. However, night fishing is not allowed

Good luck to those who can go & fish, enjoy your downtime. But I'm struggling to get my head round how sitting on your backside watching a float bob up & down qualifies as exercise... :unsure:

jimbob.someroo

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
You could if you wanted to but it's not the done thing. If you catch a fish it can play into your mates swim. You have twice the noise and disruption. Us anglers are a grumpy lot. We like our space.
The only exception is carp fishing. You put your rods on alarms then both sit inbetween your peg for a chat and brew.

Carp fishing sounds great! Can we put them on an alarm and nip off for 9 holes?

howbow88

Hacker
Visit site
There seems to be very little 'following the science/logic' going on here. Fishing isn't exercise, but it should be allowed. But also, why isn't 'night fishing' allowed? It almost seems like the government is like 'ok fine you can do it, but don't push your luck and stay out late!' :confused:

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
There seems to be very little 'following the science/logic' going on here. Fishing isn't exercise, but it should be allowed. But also, why isn't 'night fishing' allowed? It almost seems like the government is like 'ok fine you can do it, but don't push your luck and stay out late!' :confused:
Because you're only allowed out once a day which implies that you have to go home at some point..