No golf again!

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site
Maybe golf isn't banned because of the risk of spreading covid. But because of the number of people injured and requiring hospital treatment every year?

Although it would be strange why any form of exercise is still allowed if that was the case.

IMG_20210107_090912.jpg

Dibby

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Maybe golf isn't banned because of the risk of spreading covid. But because of the number of people injured and requiring hospital treatment every year?

Although it would be strange why any form of exercise is still allowed if that was the case.

What counts as an injury in the study though? I imagine a huge percentage of golf is a sore back, and then a lower amount of minor overuse and joint injuries that just require rest, more than any serious intervention.

If it was about that, they'd ban things like DIY, which would be comical in how unenforceable it would be.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
What counts as an injury in the study though? I imagine a huge percentage of golf is a sore back, and then a lower amount of minor overuse and joint injuries that just require rest, more than any serious intervention.

If it was about that, they'd ban things like DIY, which would be comical in how unenforceable it would be.
Sounds good to me.

hovis

Tour Winner
Visit site
I like your thinking. The only problem is that it would start to resemble golf which is banned, while hitting a ball with a stick in a public place is not.
Health and safety mate. You wouldnt want a dog walking twisting their ankle in your new hole

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
It's a bit ironic that although us lucky scots can still play during lockdown, our course is closed due to "Very slippery conditions."

dPrkH63.jpg
Sweeep..!

ours was frozen but nothing as bad a your place gets clive.

some serious big hits yeasterday, drove the first at Nairn, 372, only problem was it was a winter green some 50 yards short of the main green:ROFLMAO:

sunshine

Visit site

View attachment 34366

That's because loads of golfers are OAPs and can injure themselves getting out of bed, let alone walking round a golf course. Most effective way to reduce the number of injuries would be to install Stannah stairlifts all over the course.

BiMGuy

Visit site

According to Google 12k golf injuries require hospital treatment every year.

If that is true, it's enough of a reason not to play.

AliMc

Visit site
How kind, thank you. :ROFLMAO:

Would be worth applying for membership if I’d be allowed to drive down there.... :unsure:
That's true Kaz, I play in a group of roughly 20 or so recent retirees and about half are in Edinburgh so in the same position, trying to play at The Braids but posted a photo of the frozen solid 1st green !

Dibby

Assistant Pro
Visit site
According to Google 12k golf injuries require hospital treatment every year.

If that is true, it's enough of a reason not to play.

The problem there is that 12k sounds like a big number until you consider that their are roughly 20million hospital admissions a year.

If it was really this much effort to tackle the cause 0.06% of hospital admissions (assuming the drop is to 0, when realistically a lot of the injuries will now just occur picking up the shopping instead of the golf bag), I would suggest the effort could be better focused elsewhere.

BiMGuy

Visit site
There is no effort required to stop golf related hospital admissions though.

Government says it stops. End of problem. The only people putting any effort into it are those who have chosen to be angry about the decision.

And everyone who played golf isn't suddenly going shopping because they can't play golf.

Dibby

Assistant Pro
Visit site
There is no effort required to stop golf related hospital admissions though.

Government says it stops. End of problem. The only people putting any effort into it are those who have chosen to be angry about the decision.

And everyone who played golf isn't suddenly going shopping because they can't play golf.

Shopping was a hypothetical, the point being the 12k to 0 figure is only achieved if all those injuries disappear, how many are exclusive golf injuries, compared to something that was going to happen and golf was the final straw that triggered it, which will now be replaced by picking up shopping, getting out the car, doing DIY, gardening or whatever else?

If you honestly believe that as part of the covid analysis the government did their research on sports injury related hospital admissions, and due to the conclusion reached that's the reason golf is banned, fair play to you I guess! Want to buy some magic beans or a bridge?

BiMGuy

Visit site
Shopping was a hypothetical, the point being the 12k to 0 figure is only achieved if all those injuries disappear, how many are exclusive golf injuries, compared to something that was going to happen and golf was the final straw that triggered it, which will now be replaced by picking up shopping, getting out the car, doing DIY, gardening or whatever else?

If you honestly believe that as part of the covid analysis the government did their research on sports injury related hospital admissions, and due to the conclusion reached that's the reason golf is banned, fair play to you I guess! Want to buy some magic beans or a bridge?

Like I said. The only people who are putting any effort into this are people choosing to be angry.

Most sport has stopped. Should the government have done analysis of each one to determine which should stay open or not?

The easiest thing to do is stop them all.

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site
Like I said. The only people who are putting any effort into this are people choosing to be angry.

Most sport has stopped. Should the government have done analysis of each one to determine which should stay open or not?

The easiest thing to do is stop them all.

They're not paid to do the easiest thing, they're paid to do the right thing, and they are not.

D

Deleted member 15344

Angling has been given an exemption.....
Watch this space.

Is it because it can be done as a single with no one around

Last time during lockdown 2 Fishing was allowed but golf wasnt

Garden centres is the only strange one - why are they allowed to stay open ?

I’ll be amazed if they give an exemption back to golf and tennis ( they appear to be linked )

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Is it because it can be done as a single with no one around

Last time during lockdown 2 Fishing was allowed but golf wasnt

Garden centres is the only strange one - why are they allowed to stay open ?

I’ll be amazed if they give an exemption back to golf and tennis ( they appear to be linked )
Apparently the Govt have recognised that fishing is a form of exercise :eek: and that's the criteria for the exemption.
Only local, within your area and only once a day so no overnighter.
Nothing about going solo.
How can golf be left out if angling gets out of jail free..?
Could be a distance limit I guess..